Notices
ECU Flash

Stalling issues..Mind looking at my maps?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling issues..Mind looking at my maps?

Im attempting to use the 9653006 rom in place of my 96940011 rom and am getting stalling issues when I push in the clutch. It doesnt happen everytime. But when it does, my WB shows full rich. I attempted to set the BISS using the SAS actuator in Evoscan, but it stays at 900-1000 rpm when activated, so I dont think that is the culprit. I thought it may be my plugs, but just changed them and there's no difference. I dont think it is a boost leak, because it started happening when I switched to this rom. I keep having issues w/ ECUflash when I try to use my old rom, so right now Im wanting to get this one working.

Would you guys mind looking over my maps to see if I have possibly missed something? I dont mind a little flaming if you see something that is completely wrong here, Im still learning. And if there are any other maps that may be pertinent, please let me know and I will post them.

My mods:
3"TBE w/ works HFC, o2 housing, ETS intake, JDM DV, Walbro pump, LICP, FMIC, Greddy Profec B @ 21-22psi

Last edited by Charlie_B; Sep 11, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

I just tried to load the V5.1 rom as it was downloaded and still get the stalling issue.

Here are my xml files, if someone doesnt mind looking them over. This happened a few weeks ago, and this time I completely started over. Maybe Im making the same mistakes?
Attached Files
File Type: txt
evo7base.txt (19.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: txt
96530006.txt (14.2 KB, 8 views)
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Why does your idle stepper map look like that?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

I think you should put your idle stepper table back to stock 96530006. I also noticed your Idle RPM-drive and Idle RPM neutral are swapped around from my xml. You could try upping the RPM to 852 in the 50,77 and 82 rows of your RPM-neutral table.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Why does your idle stepper map look like that?
It was my attempt at getting rid of throttle hang, per the "throttle hang" post around here, and it seemed to work. I went back to stock values and it made no difference, except for bringing back the throttle hang. Throttle hang being when you let off the gas, the rpms not coming down.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...+stepper+table

To John,
I will swap them. Ive never had a "stock" tune to compare to. Ive sort of assumed that the one I downloaded for the tephra mod was stock and went from there. FWIW, Ive had these values over 1000, and it made no difference, except when it didnt stumble the idle was high.

Last edited by Charlie_B; Sep 12, 2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by John F
I also noticed your Idle RPM-drive and Idle RPM neutral are swapped around from my xml.
Do you mean that the tables are defined backwards in the XML, or my values in the tune are swapped?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, your XML reads different to mine. I have:

<table name="Desired Idle RPM-Neutral" address="426c">
<table name="Engine Temp" address="6aa0" elements="8"/>
</table>

<table name="Desired Idle RPM-Drive" address="427a">
<table name="Engine Temp" address="6aa0" elements="8"/>
</table>

You get stock maps with the Tephra patch. I'd try again with the stock idle stepper map and up the idle speed setting I suggested then adjust your BISS with the SAS again. Sounds like you will need to screw it in a little. You could then disconnect your battery for a few minutes to reset the fuel trims. Ignore the throttle hang until you get the idle right. Apart from that I don't know what to suggest.

Good luck.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Will do. Thanks. Would there be any benefit from lowering idle speed with the BISS to match my tables, or will that just make it worse?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

The BISS should be set to your desired idle speed, 850 in your case. That's the way I have done it anyway.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

The values of your Drive ISCV and Neutral ISCV at the 77/82 are to low - I had to do this on a evo8 rom that was having stalling issues when he pushed in the clutch and it took it away...

the settings in the stock 96940011 are:

Neutral
77 - 27
82 - 17

Drive
77 - 58
82 - 46

If the car starts to hang at idle then start lowering the values some - if the idle still drops add a little more to it. It was just trial and error until I got it to go away but the end result was it went away

These are the settings I used on the evo8 - his is an 03.

Neutral
77 - 27
82 - 22

Drive
77 - 35
82 - 30
Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Im going to do what John suggests first. If the problem persits, then I will try that. Ive never messed with those tables. I wonder if they are the same in my 11 rom and this EUDM rom. Im pretty sure I havent checked that. Reading through the rom swap thread, I was hesistant to change too much that messes with idle. Some of the guys have been getting the P0505 error when simply copy/pasting everything from 1 rom to the other.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Those tables control idle speed....i think the larger the number allows a higher volume of air to pass when the throttle plate closes which in turns keeps the car from stalling. Hence why when i was adjusting the car I tuned when i put a larger number in the idle speed increased and the car was above the desired idle rpm. So I keep lowering the number until the idle settled out and then no more stalling.

I would really be more inclined to try this long before messing with the idle screw... but its your decision so all i can say is good luck

here is link explaining the ISCV: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h26.pdf
Old Sep 12, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW, this is my 9694011 on the left, w/ the 9653006 on the right. The nuetral settings are pretty close. But the Drive settings are pretty far off. The first is nuetral, second is drive. I'll give a shot.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Charlie_B; Sep 12, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

I tried modifying the ISCV tables, and ended up a little higher than the numbers you posted, and still have the stalling issue. Then I set the BISS again, using the SAS actuator, reset battery, same issue. With the higher ISCV values, it will come down to 1k, and hover between 900-1200, then drop to 650 or so. That is when driving down the road, then pushing inthe clutch and letting the RPMs drop. If Im just moving it around in the driveway with short clutch release (release clutch, give a little gas, push clutch in), it has no chance and just drops to 650 or so.

Everytime it happens, my WB shows full rich and nice puff of black smoke comes out the tailpipe.

Edit: I went back to the 11 rom ISCV values, activated the SAS actuator, and idle drpped big time. So I adjusted the BISS, and still had the issue. Then I just bumped up the ISCV nuetral values for 77, 82. And it is better now, but still tries to stall (but picks itself back up) when moving the car around slowly. Im going to tweak it somemore, but unfortunately the "honey-do" list needs some attention.

Last edited by Charlie_B; Sep 13, 2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

It gradually got worse over the next week or so. Until it was to the point that if I didnt pat the gas when letting off the clutch, it would die alomost everytime when going slow.

I went back to a "stock rom" 96940011 with my tune on it, and everything runs fine. It still stumbles a little in certain conditions. But it never dies or gets lower then 800 rpm or so.

I'll try it again some time. Id definitely like to have at least the knock light patch back. I can do without the map switching and NLTS right now. Im just at a loss to why noone else switching to this rom has had the same issues.

Quick Reply: Stalling issues..Mind looking at my maps?