Notices
ECU Flash

SD Baro Auto tune interest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
I am curious as to what this would really help though. Barometric pressure changes are so minimal unless you have huge variations in elevation, and weather. I am a little SD ignorant so if my question is off key, I can understand.

For the hot start problem, why not just relocate the IAT sensor to the cold side of the FMIC as close to is as possible?
The set baro works fine far as i could once the engine is running but all starts seem to be effected in SD by big changes in elevation. So the code would be trying to solve the issues of starting a car on a mountain.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Makes perfect sense in that case. Not much of a huge elevation change in my neck of the woods.

I can see this being useful, but wouldn't the change affect the car when you come out of the mountains?

Guess you would have to shut down and then restart.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Makes perfect sense in that case. Not much of a huge elevation change in my neck of the woods.

I can see this being useful, but wouldn't the change affect the car when you come out of the mountains?

Guess you would have to shut down and then restart.
Nah as i've tried to iterate before I'll just set the baro back to static once the car is up and running. That will prevent swings in tune.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Testing with no baro comp on start or drive compensation-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWyf0_-6GY

I realise this is DSMlink V3 but it works the same and is setup how we do Evo SD as well.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Testing with no baro comp on start or drive compensation-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWyf0_-6GY

I realise this is DSMlink V3 but it works the same and is setup how we do Evo SD as well.
so this pretty much goes in line with that i'm thinking right?

The main purpose of this mod is for startup issues associated with get the car to start at the top of a mountain with SD being tuned in the valley.

I think this table shows why it could be an issue
http://www.sensorsone.co.uk/altitude...onversion.html

Last edited by RoadSpike; Feb 4, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
so this pretty much goes in line with that i'm thinking right?

The main purpose of this mod is for startup issues associated with get the car to start at the top of a mountain with SD being tuned in the valley.

I think this table shows why it could be an issue
http://www.sensorsone.co.uk/altitude...onversion.html
Correct, but the tune hadnt changed is the thing. It didnt run any leaner in open loop so its not going to run any leaner in closed. If it does run leaner thats what the trims are for.

Its all how its calculated for global fueling right?

MAF subroutines are still in place so fueling is done vs absolute pressure (or absolute airflow in the MAF). If it were MAP only, then fueling in vacuum would be more critical. The fueling in SD has a baro reference at start, it knows what the kpa reading is so it comps at that point. If the tune wasnt very broad at sea level I can see it becoming an issue but then again its the difference between those that tune and "tooners". We run the cars on the rich side of the trims anyway so anything that would throw it off will still keep it in range for start.

Not saying its not a bad idea, I just done feel its needed. If we saw ridiculous elevation changes it would get more pronounced but there is still the above mentioned math working in our favor. I have no inclination to drive from sea level to the top of Pike's Peak though just to see what it does
Old Feb 4, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Correct, but the tune hadnt changed is the thing. It didnt run any leaner in open loop so its not going to run any leaner in closed. If it does run leaner thats what the trims are for.

Its all how its calculated for global fueling right?

MAF subroutines are still in place so fueling is done vs absolute pressure (or absolute airflow in the MAF). If it were MAP only, then fueling in vacuum would be more critical. The fueling in SD has a baro reference at start, it knows what the kpa reading is so it comps at that point. If the tune wasnt very broad at sea level I can see it becoming an issue but then again its the difference between those that tune and "tooners". We run the cars on the rich side of the trims anyway so anything that would throw it off will still keep it in range for start.

Not saying its not a bad idea, I just done feel its needed. If we saw ridiculous elevation changes it would get more pronounced but there is still the above mentioned math working in our favor. I have no inclination to drive from sea level to the top of Pike's Peak though just to see what it does

Yeah it definitely wouldn't be for the average joe thats for sure.

I do recall some people getting tuned though at sea level and driving back home to 4500ft or so and having start up trouble with SD. I think this could be a pretty cool thing for foothill dwellers like myself which goto the mountains during skiing season.

And since your on the horn hows testing going?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

So far so good. It seems the load is adjusted load so that works, I usually take a few days to really get in the groove on the changes sometimes. I have only really been using the 3D down low so far for correction. It will work well at high boost level though since the VE is different as you near the end of the turbo.

aaron
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

So far so good. It seems the load is adjusted load so that works, I usually take a few days to really get in the groove on the changes sometimes. I have only really been using the 3D down low so far for correction. It will work well at high boost level though since the VE is different as you near the end of the turbo.

aaron
That makes sense thats where the largest gradients are in VE.

Think using uncorrected load is a better option? Trying to see which load axis we should stick with before moving on to the next iteration of the SD project.

Depending on consensus I'll patch in this to a DMA rom for everyone so all tuning can be done quickly.

Last edited by RoadSpike; Feb 4, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be interesting to test but personally its not needed unless there are substantial changes and even then I bet it would be pretty close. Luke took his Evo from Sea level to 6,000 feet today with some interesting results. Video to follow.

If it affects start up though more than anything (I see where you are going with that), it makes sense that it would be a nice feature.
Nvm saw that. Thats pretty cool. I'm going to throw SD on my car this spring and see what I can do.

Last edited by project_skyline; Feb 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM.