Notices
ECU Flash

Tephra NLTS mod pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by evoxsi
is that guy wearing a suite in the video haha.
at the beginning probably.. hes a business man. does lots of IT consulting and etc.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
NLTS RPM Drop = how much the rpm can drop inbetween shifts once the clutch is pressed in

default its 800, that seems fair for most peoples shifting speeds.. from what I've read, NLTS will make you feel like a pro even if you suck at shifting like myself.. with .4-.5 seconds inbetween each shift.. you wont drop out of boost, and you will go way quicker/faster down the 1/4.

NLTS TPS Threshold = means how much you have to press the gas in in order for NLTS to turn on.. if its set to 98% then you must have 98% TPS in order to trigger it.

NLTS Load Threshold = same as TPS, but load based. just another safety feature to ensure you dont engage NLTS during regular driving. set it to 150 load and it wont turn on until you're past 150 load.

Same deal with speed threshold as well.. you get the idea. they are all safety features to assure it doesnt activate when it shouldnt be.

want to test how it works in your driveway? set the load, tps, and speed down real low and give your car some gas holding the rpm's around lets say 5k and push the clutch in.. you'll see your rpm's drop whatever you set the RPM drop to.. its actually a really awesome feature in the ECU.

I've used it awhile back and had the same issues others mentioned in here.. if you try lift shifting with it turned on your car will buck in between shifts.

i plan on using it next time i go to track in spring.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgang
Ok so I tried NLTS on my car while shifting around 6k. It worked pretty well and it sounds soooo cool

Only problem I had was that it was a little jerky sometimes. I think I was just letting off of the clutch too slow. I was shifting pretty slow because I wasn't used to it yet. For now I think I'll shift normally but when I go to the track I'll definitely use NLTS. Great mod!
I had the same problem when I first tried it. You could always adjust the RPM drop to meet your shifting style.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:15 PM

when i attempted this i had problems....
everything was on the stock setting, all i did was tick the BOX in tephra v.5.1 to activate it.

Go for a drive,
and as soon as my car hit the load limit it just hit a brick wall (LIKE VALET MODE)
didnt even hit the the clutch one bit or anything...

aslong as the car wasnt at the load level, it would behave normal.....

Last edited by Prolifik; Dec 24, 2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JorgeYaHeard
I had the same problem when I first tried it. You could always adjust the RPM drop to meet your shifting style.
I'm just afraid of breaking something... I'll definitely use this at the track when I go in spring. It made the shifts feel amazingly smooth... like you're just cutting through the air. Hard to explain.. lol
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Would it be possible to add an RPM Threshhold to the mod? That would be awesome... so nlts only activates above a certain RPM (ex: NLTS only activates when you're above 7000 rpm) that way if you're WOT sshifting at 6K rpm you don't have to worry about NLTS... would be a pretty cool feature but I could see how it could backfire. 6-7K rpm is a pretty short amount of time in 1st gear lol...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgang
Would it be possible to add an RPM Threshhold to the mod? That would be awesome... so nlts only activates above a certain RPM (ex: NLTS only activates when you're above 7000 rpm) that way if you're WOT sshifting at 6K rpm you don't have to worry about NLTS... would be a pretty cool feature but I could see how it could backfire. 6-7K rpm is a pretty short amount of time in 1st gear lol...
You don't HAVE to use NLTS just because have it activated. If you don't want to use NLTS, then just lift-shift as normal.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not got my NLTS working properly by adjusting the top clutch switch position. Before it used to cut spark when I even slightly touched the clutch. Now you need to have noticeable pressure on the clutch to get it to cut the spark. (Note: RHD car shown)

The first photo shows the original position of the switch, note the gap.

Tephra NLTS mod pros/cons-20140212_200857-medium-.jpg

The second photo shows the adjusted position with the thread going to the rubber stopper.

Tephra NLTS mod pros/cons-20140212_201351-medium-.jpg

To do this first remove the electrical connector, then loosen the locknut which is the one towards the rear of the car. (14mm spanner)
The other nut is welded in place so you need to rotate the whole switch until it hits the rubber stopper on the pedal, then back off 1/8 of a turn, retighten the locknut and reinstall connector.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 03:30 AM

hi guys,
i'm owner of evo9gsr 6speed, european with tephra v7.
when i activate NLTS, it's working perfectly but i have a problem with stationary rev limiter(if is this the problem)
i try to explain better my problem:

when i'm in MOTION(not hold,) ,clutch all down and about 3500rpm i push all gas, rev remain limited around 5000,so is impossible hits the limiter.
what is strange is if i push gas about rev5000 or 2000 i can hit the limiter...it look like i have the range limit also to go up with gears and not only down

if i disable NLTS mode, the problem of stationary rev limiter end.

could you help me?
thank you