Notices
ECU Flash

New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My coolant temp also doesn't display nor log correctly on my IX.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Quick update to the GPS i've owned two evodroids both dot he same thing. This last one was Hamish's personal demo model. Not exactly worth the while to send it back. However I hope it's in the software. I'd gladly pay more for a faster tablet because trying to use nav on this is one laggy proposition. My phone is 100X faster
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my tablet doesn't boot up, was working fine then one day it won't boot up anymore, just stuck on the android splash screen. help Hamish?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ExRotary
Can you expand a bit on what it took to get Evoscan working on the Galaxy Tab.

I am attempting the same thing on a Nexus 7 but I'm not quite there yet.

I haven't been able to access the installer on the website. From what I can gather most people are finding this so I copied the evoscan and backups directories from the EvoDroid to the Nexus. With the Nexus (version 1 not 2013) recently upgraded to Android 4.4 :
  1. I ran the Evoscan.apk in the backups folder. It appeared to install without issue.
  2. It was having trouble with the gauge file names not matching the screen size. I copied the existing files to new ones named 800x1205_Carbon1. png and .txt and 1280x736_Carbon1.png and .txt. These don't render quite right and will need modification later to suit the higher screen resolution but for the moment they get us through to the next step.
  3. Initially the Nexus didn't know what to do with the USB cable and was taking me off to another unrelated web site. I enabled developer mode, then enabled USB debugging (the EvoDroid is set up this way).
  4. Evoscan now starts and runs to the point where there is the "Re-plug in the Open Port Cable" message in the top right. Replugging doesn't bring about any change of state.
  5. Nothing indicated that the device had to be rooted but I decided to give it a try. It made no difference to Evoscan, the only change I have noted to date is that the MPT USB mode from the Nexus to my PC is now broken. Something else to fix.
  6. The only other thing to report is that Evoscan installs to start whenever the Nexus is started. I can't see where to turn this option off. This causes evoscan to hang when the device first starts up. You need to stop and restart evoscan once you gone past the lock screen. I suspect that this might be caused by a conflict with the lock screen.

I got it working by simply getting a copy of the APK and installing it. No need to root it.

Apart from that there were no issues apart from not being able to tick the data logging list. This is a glitch and you need to tick and untick, exit and when you go back in they are ticked!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nexus 7

^
After a bit more android "rooting" around I've concluded that I am on a hiding to nothing here. A few days back the Nexus updated itself to Android 4.4.2 and I lost root access as a result. I wasn't getting anywhere anyway so I have dropped the attempt to get Evodscan up on a Nexus7.

The Nexus recognises that there is a USB cable plugged in and is trying to communicate but Evoscan stalls at the "Re-plug in the Open Port Cable" message. I think that it will need a custom ROM with different coms modules to resolve this and that will need someone with more time on their hands and probably more expertise than me to resolve.

So until someone knows better:
  1. Evoscan android will run on a Galaxy Tab. (I suggest that you check with limaynard as to just which one)
  2. Evoscan Android won't run on a Nexus 7 (Version 1 - I don't know about the 2013 version)

Now, back to the Evodroid Tablet - logging is a bit slow - I get 28/29 samples per second in mode 23 and it is all quite laggy. I am off to try and get RAX logging up.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when are we gonna see a update i feel like my old ecugps unit is better, i can't even clear codes for the car.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

it is running on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 7" (SM-T210)
Android version is 4.1.2

It is not rooted and as such it will not operate as a USB disk drive (only a camera or media device) but that does not stop Evoscan working but it does mean that any gauge templates need to be built on a PC and moved across to the Tablet.

USB debugging mode is enabled in developer options and that is about it.

I have found that initially is would log and then disconnect randomly but automatically reconnect but that stopped (almost) after a while, almost like it needed to 'burn in'.

The only other issue I have mentioned (not being able to select logging items) but there is a workaround for that.

Last edited by limaynard; Jan 4, 2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Also, has anyone had the 1.3da flatten the battery?

I have it set up so that the tablet doesn't draw charge when the ignition is off but does to 1.3da still draw a current from the OBD port?

I left mine plugged in for a couple of weeks while I was away (no tablet in the car) and I got back to a flat battery - not just a little flat, completely drained - no ignition lights anything.

A quick connection to the jumpstarter got it going and it has been fine since but I can't think what else it could be.

The battery is 5 months old, the alternator is charging so it must have discharged due to something drawing current...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by limaynard
it is running on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 7" (SM-T210)
Android version is 4.1.2

It is not rooted and as such it will not operate as a USB disk drive (only a camera or media device) but that does not stop Evoscan working but it does mean that any gauge templates need to be built on a PC and moved across to the Tablet.

USB debugging mode is enabled in developer options and that is about it.

I have found that initially is would log and then disconnect randomly but automatically reconnect but that stopped (almost) after a while, almost like it needed to 'burn in'.

The only other issue I have mentioned (not being able to select logging items) but there is a workaround for that.
One other thing, the tablet says that it isn't charging but that is always going to be a problem as most tablets seem to not charge when a data cable is connected.

It does charge but slowly. This means that that tablet will need to be fully charged when you put it in the car and then is will likely hold that charge or discharge slowly.

I have run it for 500km and it didn't run flat when connected to the 1.3da and that was using the GPS function.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:35 AM

Also, has anyone had the 1.3da flatten the battery?

I have it set up so that the tablet doesn't draw charge when the ignition is off but does to 1.3da still draw a current from the OBD port?

I left mine plugged in for a couple of weeks while I was away (no tablet in the car) and I got back to a flat battery - not just a little flat, completely drained - no ignition lights anything.

A quick connection to the jumpstarter got it going and it has been fine since but I can't think what else it could be.

The battery is 5 months old, the alternator is charging so it must have discharged due to something drawing current...
It drained my battery when I was on road. Quick stop to gas station and car would not start again. Had to buy new battery. Cable was connected to car few days prior this. After that I always disconnect it. Thou I haven't been using evodroid for few months lately. It needs update to be what it was advertised.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:08 AM

One other thing, the tablet says that it isn't charging but that is always going to be a problem as most tablets seem to not charge when a data cable is connected.

It does charge but slowly. This means that that tablet will need to be fully charged when you put it in the car and then is will likely hold that charge or discharge slowly.

I have run it for 500km and it didn't run flat when connected to the 1.3da and that was using the GPS function.
This is venturing I know, but I had similar problems with my Nexus 7 which I use as a GPS Navigator and Music player. It was running flat over the course of a day when plugged into a 1A cigarette lighter USB charger. I tried going to a 3.2A then a 4.2A (2 x 2.1A) charger to no avail. I then played around with various USB charging cables thinking that voltage drop might be the problem.

In desperation I purchased a USB Voltage & Current Tester The charging current would fall away to .45 A on the car adapters while the OEM mains charger would pump in 1.2A when the occasion demanded. I bought another 4.2 A dual port car charger and was about to throw it out as junk when I decided to try the second port - It generated up to 1.2A charger current and the Nexus now stays charged all day !!

After a bit more looking the good port was putting out 5.1V the other port and all the chargers that wouldn't work were throwing out 5.2V and above. Coincidentally my Nokia phone would not charge from the high voltage chargers. My conclusion - these things protect themselves from overcharging by blocking or throttling charge current from out of tolerance chargers. There is a few smarts in there, when you first plug the Nexus in it accepts 0.8A for a few minutes then allows more or less current in as it sees fit.

When I check my 3.0DA it is outputting 4.95V so that might not have been a problem with the Nexus. The Evodroid has no problems charging. The 1.3DA or other 3.0DAs might be another story

Last edited by ExRotary; Jan 5, 2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:30 AM

Unhappy

Now, back to the Evodroid Tablet - logging is a bit slow - I get 28/29 samples per second in mode 23 and it is all quite laggy. I am off to try and get RAX logging up.
I am sad to report that RAX logging is no quicker on the Evodroid. I am getting a line of logged data every 0.8 seconds.

By way of comparison, the Windows version of Evoscan gets me a line of data around every 0.2 seconds in Mode 23 and every 0.05 seconds in RAX mode.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 08:50 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
When I check my 3.0DA it is outputting 4.95V so that might not have been a problem with the Nexus. The Evodroid has no problems charging. The 1.3DA or other 3.0DAs might be another story
Yes ExRotary, you are correct, the EvoDroid has no problems charging, the openport 1.3DA and 3.0DA cables use an inbuilt very high power 3.0 Amp charger using the latest 2013 charger technology. any EvoDroid7 you plug into it will charge quite happily even when datalogging and displaying the screen at full brightness.

Yes it will continue to charge your android even with the car locked and the key off.. thats because the OBDII port on all Mitsubishi vehicles do not switch off with the key, they provide what is called "Battery Backup" power to the OBDII port fulltime on pin#16. So what I did was add an ignition wire to the side of the plug.(removing this loop wire disconnects the pin#16 power wire to the openport cable) there is instructions in this thread and on the evoscan website how to remove the fulltime battery loop wire, and to wire the ignition wire directly to the green pin on the side of the openport 1.3DA/3.0DA cable.

That way your charger will turn on with the ignition wire, and off with the ignition wire. just like how you would wire in a car stereo. in most cars it is a yellow ignition wire. What color is the ignition wire in an evo8? does anyone know.

Last edited by evoscan; Jan 5, 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

If only I could disable the battery on the evodroid i'd gladly do so in order for it to power down automatically when the key is turned off.
Originally Posted by evoscan
Yes ExRotary, you are correct, the EvoDroid has no problems charging, the openport 1.3DA and 3.0DA cables use an inbuilt very high power 3.0 Amp charger using the latest 2013 charger technology. any EvoDroid7 you plug into it will charge quite happily even when datalogging and displaying the screen at full brightness.

Yes it will continue to charge your android even with the car locked and the key off.. thats because the OBDII port on all Mitsubishi vehicles do not switch off with the key, they provide what is called "Battery Backup" power to the OBDII port fulltime on pin#16. So what I did was add an ignition wire to the side of the plug.(removing this loop wire disconnects the pin#16 power wire to the openport cable) there is instructions in this thread and on the evoscan website how to remove the fulltime battery loop wire, and to wire the ignition wire directly to the green pin on the side of the openport 1.3DA/3.0DA cable.

That way your charger will turn on with the ignition wire, and off with the ignition wire. just like how you would wire in a car stereo. in most cars it is a yellow ignition wire. What color is the ignition wire in an evo8? does anyone know.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:16 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
If only I could disable the battery on the evodroid i'd gladly do so in order for it to power down automatically when the key is turned off.
You can disable the battery power on any openport cable by putting the OBDII port pin16 on to ACC (key ignition power supply 12-14v) instead of BATT (battery backup fulltime 12-14v)

Quick Reply: New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review