Notices

High oct vs low oct fuel and ingnition maps...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High oct vs low oct fuel and ingnition maps...

Can someone please be kind enough to explain to me when each of the maps is called upon? Also are ignition maps called upon the same? I know this is noob material i just need to get a understanding.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
You can search and find the answer but the short answer is:

They ECU starts interpolating towards the low octane maps depending on knock count and duration of knock count.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't expect the factory settings to save an engine under high counts of knock, it won't pull enough fast enough.

V2 for tephra should help with TPS cut.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by polyvinylman
Can someone please be kind enough to explain to me when each of the maps is called upon? Also are ignition maps called upon the same? I know this is noob material i just need to get a understanding.
first for the ignition, how does the engine work? by 4 strokes first storke is by opening the intake value that allows fuel and air to go in and the piston is traveling toward the BDC (bottom dead center) for sucking air and fuel. than it compress the air and fuel toward the TBC (Top dead center) during the compression stroke the spark plug gives a spark the fuel and air will burn and the pressure will increase and it will move the piston towards the BDC this is called the power stock and the last stroke is the exhaust stroke that the piston is traveling towards the TBC and the exhaust valve is open to allow exhaust air to go out from the cylinder. this process has to be done to move the wheels.

now for the ignition timing will be during the compression stroke in which point the the spark will come to make the air and fuel to burn if the ignition came and the piston was near the TBC and far from the BDC this is retard timing if the opposite its advance timing. there is a point where you can get the maximum cylinder pressure its called MBT (maximum brake torque) if you pasted the MBT point by advancing the timing means near the BDC the engine will knock, because the cylinder pressure became to high and its pushing the piston down and the piston didnt yet reach the TBC.

high oct vs low oct, octane is the resistances of the fuel to burn the high the number the more resistances it has to burn. for an example if the fuel has low octane and the cylineder wall was hot the fuel will burn from touching the wall that will increase the cylinder pressure before the spark is there and the engine will knock that means the timing is advanced you will need to retard the timing to avoid knocking. that means if your using high octane fuel you can advance your timing due to the resistance of the fuel to burn. other thing high octane fuel lower air temperature in the cylinder the means also that you can advance your timing because also hot air helps the fuel to burn with out a spark.

you have to know that the ignition map decrease timing when loads go's high and increase timing when RPM's go's high. and the timing numbers are the degrees of crankshafts movement.