Notices
ECU Flash

log boost with JDM MAP sensor (updated instructions)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:10 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really appreciate your prompt response!

Originally Posted by mrfred
Those are values from the previous instructions. Go ahead and use the new values (some might be the same).
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by joedr
Really appreciate your prompt response!
No prob.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok, so I've read the instructions on what to do to get the MAP sensor to work with EvoScan, but I don't know how to change the/an/any XML files. If someone would be so kind to post rudimentary instructions on how to go about this, I would appreciate it.

Also, is there a way to increase the baud rate? I did a WOT run last night and only had like 6 samples

Or you can just pm me, but I think that info would be helpful to the thread. THanks.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Aug 9, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
Ok, so I've read the instructions on what to do to get the MAP sensor to work with EvoScan, but I don't know how to change the/an/any XML files. If someone would be so kind to post rudimentary instructions on how to go about this, I would appreciate it.

Also, is there a way to increase the baud rate? I did a WOT run last night and only had like 6 samples

Or you can just pm me, but I think that info would be helpful to the thread. THanks.
Fraid I can't help ya with the baud rate, but here's my basic instructions on how to add to your .xml file...

- Find the directory on your computer where EvoScan in run from. I believe the default directory is "C:\Program Files\EvoScan". If you cannot find where EvoScan is run from, simply right click your mouse on the icon you use to run Evoscan and select properties. This will tell you the directory where Evoscan is located.

- In your EvoScan program folder you should see a folder called "DataSettings". Open this folder.

- In the "DataSettings" folder you should see a file called, "Data.xml". This is the file that needs to be modified to log boost with the JDM MAP sensor.

- First thing I do is make a backup of the file before I change it. To do this just right click on the file, and select "Copy". Then right click on a blank area in the "DataSettings" folder window and choose "Paste". This will create a file called "Copy of Data.xml" so that you have a backup of the original file.

- Now right click on the "Data.xml" file and choose "Open With". From the "Open With" sub menu choose "Notepad".

- You should now have notepad open with the data.xml file contents read for editing. Scroll down to the end of the file and add the following text...

<DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="MAP" LogReference="MAP" RequestID="38" Eval="0.19347*x-14.31678" Unit="psi" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="-15" GaugeMax="30" ChartMin="-15" ChartMax="30" ScalingFactor="1" Notes=""/>

- Once you have made these changes, go to the file menu in notepad and choose "Save", then close notepad.

You should now be ready to log boost. A couple of notes...

- This is only the changes to the Data.xml file for EvoScan to log boost, you may also need to change values in your ROM via a tool like ECUFlash to avoid an SES light.

- The "Eval" section in the text above includes a value set by me to calibrate my MAP sensor so that it read exactly 0 at 0 boost. Depending on where you are in relation to sea level, etc this value may not be exactly right on for your MAP sensor, but it should be close enough.

- In the text above, the items 'Display="MAP"' and 'LogReference="MAP"' specify what the JDM MAP sensor's value will be shown as in EvoScan and titled in the EvoScan log file. It's called MAP here, but you can call it whatever you want... 'boost', 'crazy turbo powa', whatever.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Thank you, thank you.

BTW, did I say thank you?

I feel less stupid now
Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Also, is there a way to increase the baud rate? I did a WOT run last night and only had like 6 samples ...
The standard baud rate is quite good if EvoScan is setup for efficient logging.

1) In the EvoScan "Logging" pulldown menu, select "Logger SuperSpeed". This alone makes a huge difference.

2) In the EvoScan main window, deselect all the crap that you're not interested in logging. For a typical logging run for tuning afr/spark/boost, the key items to log are TPS, RPM, IPW, AFR, 2-byte load, boost, timing adv, knock sum, air temp, and coolant temp. If you're trying to control boost with the ECU, then you'll also want to log WGDC.

3) In the EvoScan "Logging" pulldown menu, deselect "Log Data to Screen". This is good for about a 15% increase in logging speed (and I never try to watch the computer screen while doing a WOT run).

With this recipe, the logging interval is right about 0.06-0.07 sec (on my 3 year old laptop) which is excellent for data logging under almost any circumstance.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you, thank you.

BTW, did I say thank you?

I feel less stupid now
No problem. Just passing on what I've managed to pick up on here too.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm confused...nothing new.

There is already a parameter for logging in EvoScan V.099 with request ID 38 labeled 'Boost' The difference between the parameter 'Boost' and the one mrfred added, 'JDM MAP', is:

'Boost' Eval="0.19348x"
'JDM MAP' Eval="0.19347*x-14.4" <--what is 'x' in both of these? I'm .xml illiterate, BTW

I can see the two differ in that 'JDM MAP' is adjusted for a basic barometric pressure/altitude adjustment to give you how much pressure the turbo is "adding" to the manifold...I guess I am wondering why 'Boost' is in here? Why not just adjust the Eval in 'Boost' to reflect the subtraction of barometric pressure/altitude? Or is the fact they both have the same request ID irrelevant?

I am rarely right when I think I know how something works.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
I'm confused...nothing new.

There is already a parameter for logging in EvoScan V.099 with request ID 38 labeled 'Boost' The difference between the parameter 'Boost' and the one mrfred added, 'JDM MAP', is:

'Boost' Eval="0.19348x"
'JDM MAP' Eval="0.19347*x-14.4" <--what is 'x' in both of these? I'm .xml illiterate, BTW

I can see the two differ in that 'JDM MAP' is adjusted for a basic barometric pressure/altitude adjustment to give you how much pressure the turbo is "adding" to the manifold...I guess I am wondering why 'Boost' is in here? Why not just adjust the Eval in 'Boost' to reflect the subtraction of barometric pressure/altitude? Or is the fact they both have the same request ID irrelevant?

I am rarely right when I think I know how something works.
Hmm... well since I sorta kinda think I might know how it works, maybe if we combine our powers...

is the added -14.4 value in there to compensate for the difference in value that is given from the USDM MAP sensor versus the JDM MAP sensor?

So...

USDM MAP sensor = 0.19348x
JDM MAP sensor = 0.19347*x-14.4

?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RedV
is the added -14.4 value in there to compensate for the difference in value that is given from the USDM MAP sensor versus the JDM MAP sensor?

So...

USDM MAP sensor = 0.19348x
JDM MAP sensor = 0.19347*x-14.4

?
No, that I do understand...the -14.4 is the value plugged in to my Eval="0.19347*x-14.4". The -14.4 is to compensate for the altitude I live at, ~500ft above sea-level (see instructions on post one of this thread about what figure to plug in for your locale).

IF I am understading correctly 'Boost' would be the atmospheric pressure at sea-level + the pressure the turbo is "adding" to the manifold. I forget the term for that pressure...someone help me out, I'm having a senior moment!!

'JDM MAP' however has the atmospheric pressure subtracted from the "total pressure" (<--that again is my senoir-itis...what is that term?!?!?) to reflect only boost pressure or what I think is called absolute pressure...not to be confused with the EvoScan logging paramter 'Boost' which what my question is about...confused?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

No, that I do understand...the -14.4 is the value plugged in to my Eval="0.19347*x-14.4". The -14.4 is to compensate for the altitude I live at, ~500ft above sea-level (see instructions on post one of this thread about what figure to plug in for your locale).

IF I am understading correctly 'Boost' would be the atmospheric pressure at sea-level + the pressure the turbo is "adding" to the manifold. I forget the term for that pressure...someone help me out, I'm having a senior moment!!

'JDM MAP' however has the atmospheric pressure subtracted from the "total pressure" (<--that again is my senoir-itis...what is that term?!?!?) to reflect only boost pressure or what I think is called absolute pressure...not to be confused with the EvoScan logging paramter 'Boost' which what my question is about...confused?
Oh OK... I see. So you're thinking boost should = normal atomospheric pressure + turbo pressure.

So then your question is why is the Eval statement subtracting 14.4 right?

Is it so when you're at 0 psi the MAP sensor isn't showing the 14.4 psi of pressure that's always occuring?

So technically 'normal' air pressure = 14.4 psi. But because we only want to measure the boost applied by the turbo, the eval statement subtracts that 14.4 value so that under normal atmospheric pressure the value will be 0 psi.

Did that make any sense? I could still be way off base.

Last edited by RedV; Aug 9, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

You seem to have a good grip on it...of course this is all based on the assumption (DANGER! DANGER!) that I am right about this...

So now, my question is why do we watch both in EvoScan, instead of just adjusting the Eval in 'Boost' to reflect absolute or "turbo" pressure? Or are they ('Boost' & 'JDM MAP') two separate things even though they have the same request ID?

Accchhh!

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Aug 9, 2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

You seem to have a good grip on it...of course this is all based on the assumption (DANGER! DANGER!) that I am right about this...

So now, my question is why do we watch both in EvoScan, instead of just adjusting the Eval in 'Boost' to reflect absolute or "turbo" pressure? Or are they ('Boost' & 'JDM MAP') two separate things even though they have the same request ID?

Accchhh!
I could be way off on this as well but... here's my thoughts...

I took a look at my original data.xml file that came with EvoScan v0.99 and it had this entry for logging the MAP sensor...

<DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Boost (MDP)" LogReference="MAP" RequestID="38" Eval="0.19348x" Unit="PSI" MetricEval="0.01334x" MetricUnit="Bar" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="350" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="350" ScalingFactor="1" Notes=""/>

Since it's using the same request ID that is used when one has a JDM MAP sensor installed I would think that there's really no reason to log both this value and the JDM MAP sensor value because they're both getting the same value from the ECU. Evoscan is just 'evaluating' it differently before it shows it to you via the screen/log.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

That is the direction I was leaning towards, but I am so new to all this, I really don't know. I understand the formula (with the exception of the 'x'...which seems to be in every function, BTW...) and what is trying to be accomplished.

I guess, I am trying to understand EvoScan better...and why we are logging the same thing twice, just expressed differently under two different names, as you made clearer.

To give you a peek in to my background, Pascal was the last computer language class I took...in 1986 I really need to get up with the times. I have an eleven year-old nephew that probably understands this better.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Aug 9, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

That is the direction I was leaning towards, but I am so new to all this, I really don't know. I understand the formula (with the exception of the 'x'...which seems to be in every function, BTW...) and what is trying to be accomplished. I guess, I am trying to understand EvoScan better...and why we are logging the same thing twice, just expressed differently under two different names, as you made clearer.

To give you a peek in to my background, Pascal was the last computer language class I took...in 1986 I really to get up with the times.
Hey, I graduated from college in 2001 with a BS in Information Technology and I still had to take classes in COBOL.

Anyways... enough of this, I'm going to bed.

Quick Reply: log boost with JDM MAP sensor (updated instructions)