Notices
ECU Flash

JDM IX Immobilzer issues (have original immobilizer code)

Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
JDM IX Immobilzer issues (tried using original immobilizer code)

the car is a JDM IX GSR running a IX GT ecu. I confirmed it's a gt rom because the I'd is 89980000. Because the car is running the wrong ecu and thus rom I attempted to reflash to a stock IX GSR rom of the same year using the immobilzer code pulled off the original rom. The car won't start and I'm confused why since the immobilzer codes match.

I'm thinking to either:

A) remove the immobilzer (tried searching for this but only found 0x0000 or 0xFFFF as the answer...dont know if this is correct

B) copy over the tables from the GSR rom onto the GT rom that's on the car and starts her up.

Any ideas?

I'm also a bit confused how the IX gt ecu managed to work using a different immobilizer code than the original ecu? Do these cars have immobilizer?

Last edited by R. Mutt; Jan 30, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a similar problem turned out that i wasnt complety turning off the ignition becasue of my turbo timer. Try flashing...turning off ignition..and removing the key and then starting it
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

bump. No turbo timer on the car.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by R. Mutt
the car is a JDM IX GSR running a IX GT ecu. I confirmed it's a gt rom because the I'd is 89980000. Because the car is running the wrong ecu and thus rom I attempted to reflash to a stock IX GSR rom of the same year using the immobilzer code pulled off the original rom. The car won't start and I'm confused why since the immobilzer codes match.

I'm thinking to either:

A) remove the immobilzer (tried searching for this but only found 0x0000 or 0xFFFF as the answer...dont know if this is correct

B) copy over the tables from the GSR rom onto the GT rom that's on the car and starts her up.

Any ideas?

I'm also a bit confused how the IX gt ecu managed to work using a different immobilizer code than the original ecu? Do these cars have immobilizer?
I'm a bit confused by what you said. It sounds like you changed the imobiliser code as well as the map. If that is the case, try using the immobiliser code that was on the 9gt map and see if it starts.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
You can add the faa periphery code and change the value from 56D8 to 5690. That will disable the immobiliser completely. I am not sure what ROM its sposed to have versus whats on there now, but they must be the same in order for it to start.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
You can add the faa periphery code and change the value from 56D8 to 5690. That will disable the immobiliser completely.
Sorry, but since i got a similar problem... where i have to change those vaules exactly?
What's the "faa periphery"?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
check that your immob code is properly located in your XML... you might not be modifying the correct code
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure that those two ECU's have the same pinouts, ie. can one really be run on the other car?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wreckleford
I'm a bit confused by what you said. It sounds like you changed the imobiliser code as well as the map. If that is the case, try using the immobiliser code that was on the 9gt map and see if it starts.
The car is a GSR that came with a GT ecu, it apparantly came like this from the previous owner. What I am trying to do is reflash to a GSR rom. I'm saying I tried reflashing from the 89980000 rom (2006 GT) to a 89280002 (2006 GSR) rom with the immobilizer code from the 89980000 rom. The car would not start.

Here's something to consider, based on what I'm seeing in the evo VII service manual the immobilizer system needs to be changed if you replace the ecu:

unless this has changed in the JDM IX then it seems the previous owner would have replaced the immobilizer system as well in order to get the GT ecu to work. It's unlikely that the previous owner would have gone through all this trouble however.

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
You can add the faa periphery code and change the value from 56D8 to 5690. That will disable the immobiliser completely. I am not sure what ROM its sposed to have versus whats on there now, but they must be the same in order for it to start.
That's a possibility, I'd need to locate the address for FAA Periphery first though, something I'm not confident about finding.

Originally Posted by tephra
check that your immob code is properly located in your XML... you might not be modifying the correct code
I think this might be the culprit. In other roms I've seen immobilizer codes to have a a letter...something like "184C". I'm seeing 8001 for an immobilizer code on the GT rom. The definition I'm using probably has an incorrect address for the code. Could someone check the address to see if it's correct please. Click here to download.

Originally Posted by tkklemann
Are you sure that those two ECU's have the same pinouts, ie. can one really be run on the other car?
I have no clue. I'm not familiar with the pinouts for GT vs GSR.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
faa is 99.999% of the time located at 0xFAA
Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
So add the following:

New map-
inherit 9 base (it has been the same in VIIIs as well as IXs all years that I have seen)
switch to 1d from 3d
Name the map Periphery 0
address is- faa
Scaling- hex16
Location should be changed from the default of fuel to misc

your default value on a JDM ECU should be 56d8
enter 0x5690 and then the immobiliser will be disabled

I would just use the correct ROM for the ECU though and not try to mix and match. The US cars are all the same family, but it appears yours isnt and there might be some issues for the wiring as has been mentioned.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R. Mutt i putting u through real stress there!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gsr code doesn't work on a gt ecu in a gt as someone tried it before. I have not done a detailed compare to see why. Immobiliser is disabled on jdm ix anyway.

So modify the gt rom that starts the car.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks JohnBradley and jcsbanks. I've already modified a copy of the original rom to reflect that of a IX GSR, car just needs to be reflashed and logged to make sure everything is in order.

rolly1818, I'll chat with you when I get back to Trinidad. It seems you're car is something which needs personal attention on my part. I'll sort you out when I get back home.

Thanks for the assistance everyone.