Notices
ECU Flash

Ecu-boost : Stock Solenoid with pill VS GM boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Ecu-boost : Stock Solenoid with pill VS GM boost solenoid

Had a Evo 9 in today that was getting a retune.

We had originally installed our boost assembly (OEM boost assembly with upgraded pill) with the stock 2-port solenoid but after starting the retune today, It didn't hold as much boost as I wanted for the new mods he had added.

So I switched the car over to a GM 3-port boost solenoid and walla! A little more than 2psi more up top and a little more room for more if he ever wants to go to higher octane.

GM is solid plot, Stock Solenoid with boost assembly is dotted plot:

Here is some data, Load / Airflow / WGDC differences. Darker shades are the GM solenoid, lighter shades are the stock solenoid with boost assembly:

Notice how much less WGDC the GM solenoid needs. The stock solenoid was maxed out at 100% WGDC from 6500rpm on and the GM solenoid is about 86% at 6500 rpm and 92% at 7000rpm on and supplying a little bit more than 2psi more up top.

Info about this Evo:

Evo 9
TBE with no cat
Cone filter with hacked oem box, cover and snorkel (to feed fresh air)
RC 750cc injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Stock turbo
Stock actuator
Tubular 02 housing
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Cool beans. Bryan your boost control threads are some of the most informative and may I say information packed in the forum. I like how you have full disclosure and show the maps as well, thats really top notch. I need to order a PnP setup from you I think
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Cool beans. Bryan your boost control threads are some of the most informative and may I say information packed in the forum. I like how you have full disclosure and show the maps as well, thats really top notch. I need to order a PnP setup from you I think
I'm glad people are finding them informative. I could just sit on all this stuff myself and not really show anyone, as I do get income being the in-house Evo tuner at GST, but what fun is that really?

I've learned a lot of cool stuff from everyone in the Ecuflash forum, so I figured I would try and give back as much as I can.

What PnP setup are you talking about?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
A plug and play 3 port with pig tail since I am too lazy to rewire it myself :P
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
A plug and play 3 port with pig tail since I am too lazy to rewire it myself :P
Ah, the PnP has been put on semi-hold for now as some of the quotes I have got from the injection molders have been "WHAT???".

We might just do them in home-brew small batches.

If you just use vampire taps it takes 1min to wire.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure there are pics of what you need to make this PnP, throw me a link or some pics and I'll see what I can do for this. I'm all about the GM 3 port in the near future. I have NO ECU boost control tuning experience so this will be good for me.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with JB...your posts are by far the most informative I have ever read. I look forward to getting my 3port installed then tuned by you. Somewhat OT but do believe it necessary for bigger injectors on IX's with those mods (or spefically mine in my sig) with the 3port because of the boost it can hold?

Last edited by dbsears; Feb 28, 2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Somewhat OT but do believe it necessary for bigger injectors on IX's with those mods (or spefically mine in my sig) with the 3port because of the boost it can hold?
Here in California on 91 octane, we highly recommend Evo 9's with TBE/no-cat and ecu-boost upgrade their injectors as they can max the stockers out. I've seen over 110% IDC's on some.

It is required here for a TBE/no-cat, Cone filter, Ecu-boost upgrade injectors. I hate having to explain to guys that their car made 15-20whp more before I had to "de-tune" it because their injectors where maxed out.

It is mainly because of the AFR's required for holding boost on 91 octane. 11.0-10.9 up top makes them consistant pull to pull. Leaner makes a little more power but the curves usually aren't as smooth and the car isn't as consistant.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why does the DC of the GM solenoid seem to flat line at the 92% mark up top. I can understand that it takes less DC to get more boost, but the curve seems to show 0% correction from 7000 up.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 07:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is the information i was waiting for. Good stuff!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Why does the DC of the GM solenoid seem to flat line at the 92% mark up top. I can understand that it takes less DC to get more boost, but the curve seems to show 0% correction from 7000 up.
There is no correction being made on either WGDC curves. Both pulls where on load target.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great stuff, thank you Bryan. I cringe that one day you'll get fed up for some reason and stop posting this kind of stuff anymore.

The vampire connection is the one thing that's preventing me from switching to 3port.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JKav

The vampire connection is the one thing that's preventing me from switching to 3port.
I think I need to light a fire under my **** and start getting the PnP's made/sourced.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will switch to the GM unit only when theres no hacking involved.

Do you have dyno pull of the difference that 2 psi made? That would be interesting. I've been doing a ton of airflow logging. I even tried a MBC to achieve more boost. On my car it seems more boost doesn't always mean more airflow.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I think I need to light a fire under my **** and start getting the PnP's made/sourced.
^didnt someone figure out that there is the male plug on a '91 Mitsu Gallant? like the aircon plug, or something?

anyways, looks good Bryan. Im so tempted to stop being a wuss and just try the 3-port install myself...

I wouldnt have learned so much without these forums

Quick Reply: Ecu-boost : Stock Solenoid with pill VS GM boost solenoid