Notices
ECU Flash

installing LC1

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
installing LC1

I am just installing my LC1 so that I can begin what I have read on this forum. In trying to find the 'perfect' place for the unit I was wondering if the "connector" between the Bosch unit and the plug comes apart or not. If it does then I could mount and wire the unit in the cabin, because that little plug would easily fit through the firewall grommet.

If it doesn't I will need to find the best location in the engine bay or lower frame area. I am interested to find out what you guys did when you got to this point and what you would do now, if you had to do it again.

Thanks

M
Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope. Its one piece. I mounted my lc-1 to the air conditioning flex hose on the left side of the engine bay. The sensor is in the o2 housing. And the wires run thru the firewall on the passenger side behind the glove box. Works perfect. Been running for 8 months now.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^^^
That's exactly how mine is installed.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

So you don't use the stock 02 in the 02 housing anymore? Was there a mod or reflash to delete that? I read that supposedly this was too close to the turbo.

I am using the Invidia housing. However I already have a bung just before the cat, so I suppose it doesn't matter. I just need to find a home for that thing and live with it. Its PITA to get your hands in front of that grommet and I worry about where it too hot or not to mount, ziptie, the LC1 unit.

M
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

OK, Thanks for the input. I got it routed.

I pushed a metal hole punch through the side of the grommet (where there are no wires in the engine, right side from inside cab). I used a half inch socket extension, about a 12 inch long to get the leverage, to push the punch through. Now that the extension was lodged, I electrical taped the bosch unit, with the plastic cover to the end of the socket extension. Lots of tape. Then I oiled the socket extension with a little 3 in 1. Then I pushed the whole thing through. The last little bit needs to be pulled from the engine bay, from under the car. Yup, you need to clean the oil off to have a chance. popped through pretty easy. Then clean up all the oil so nothing gets on the sensor. Be real thorough about this part. Then unwrap the tape.

My bung is at the end of the DP, which is effectively only about 1.5 feet from the grommet. Now the LC1 will be behind the glovebox zipped up to the other stock wiring loom.

Now on to wiring. Thanks for the input guys.

M
Old Aug 23, 2008, 08:47 PM
Account Disabled

FYI you can fit the wideband sensor through the hole under the passenger seat where the stock rear o2 goes.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

there is also a hole on the tunnel on the passenger side, drops your o2 sensor right at the end of the downpipe. Just have to pull up the carpet to get to it. Makes for a clean install.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbartel
So you don't use the stock 02 in the 02 housing anymore? Was there a mod or reflash to delete that? I read that supposedly this was too close to the turbo.

I am using the Invidia housing. However I already have a bung just before the cat, so I suppose it doesn't matter. I just need to find a home for that thing and live with it. Its PITA to get your hands in front of that grommet and I worry about where it too hot or not to mount, ziptie, the LC1 unit.

M
No, you use the analog output of the lc-1 to feed the ecu the narrowband signal. You can configure the analog output to any lamba/voltage you want. And for mounting in the stock o2 housing, some people say that its bad, but ive had no trouble. 8 months steady. Ive taken the sensor out twice for free-air calibrations and no signs of overheating or damage from egt. Anyways, the Wideband heater heats the sensor to 1200F and the install manual says do not install in a area with greater that 900F bung temp. Im know the surface of my o2 housing does not get to 900F. My peak egt should be about 1100 with 11.2 afr that i run. Anyways im rambling its :30 here. Good luck with your lc-1, mine has been awesome!
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info.
I finished the soldering, after a couple of hours. Used the leads for the cig lighter, and then place the led and push button in the back top of the glove box door (inside). Everything calibrated as instructions would indicate, and then I was logging a consistent 11.7 at WOT

Spent the night pulling timing and smoothing the timing maps. Ended up copy and pasting the timing map I worked on to all 3 maps, and then eventually have 0 knock count at WOT.

My JDM boost and load values seem too high at a spike of 25 and 301, and then tapper to expected numbers.

So far so good, from an ecu stand point, but it looks like I have clutch slippage, and I am also rambling. Its too many hours of wrenching today:30.

M
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:38 AM

yea there is a hole underneath the passenger seat where i have my zt2 routed, I just left the 2 harness ziptied underneath.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Resi
there is also a hole on the tunnel on the passenger side, drops your o2 sensor right at the end of the downpipe. Just have to pull up the carpet to get to it. Makes for a clean install.
Yeah, that's what I did. Some of the other explanations seem a bit complicated.