Notices
ECU Flash

Omni 4bar map sensor Plug and Play

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Is the MDP input an 11-bit or is this a different input?
The ADC means analog to digital converter.

Apparently our ecu's have a high resolution ADC and a low resolution one we could run the voltage into. The high resolution ADC outputs an 11bit number and the low resolution one puts out a 8bit one.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Is the MDP input an 11-bit or is this a different input?
The ECU does both an 8 bit conversion and an 11 bit conversion from the analog signal. The option of doing either or both conversions is available for all the ADC inputs.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yep..

obviously we choose the 8bit one as it fits nicely inside 1byte for logging purposes.

but if we were building SD or some other patch then we would tap into the 11bit ADC...
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
So uh, whats needed to give this that extra push?

I'm in the need for a map sensor so I can get this ECU boost control working and ditch the manual. But I'm sure I'll be running over 29psi one day so the japmap wouldn't do it fer me..
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've got one on the way. I also have access to NIST traceable pressure standards that I could probably characterize my sensor with to get scaling information for.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
they should provide a datasheet for it. like the GM datasheet.

that will have a formula that will convert V into kPa... from then you can accurately form a scaling...
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It appears to be a 10bit ADC, shifted right twice to become 8 bits.

So you have 0-1023 where 1023=5 to 5.1 V depending on what the supply rail is. Quantisation is therefore about +-0.05%, any other errors will be due to non-linearity of the ADC, often the accuracy is quoted as +-1LSB. Good enough not to worry about from an engine control point of view even with a 1V/bar sensor if using the 10 bit ADC IMHO.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omnipower sensor

The 4 bar Omnipower sent me for testing only came with this information.

MIN = 0V
MAX = 4.8V
LOAD OFFSET = 0
SCALER = 4.0

SENSOR IS DEAD LINEAR WITH TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION.

Hope this helps some people out.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

^good info. has anyone successfully used this already?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

I am in the process of getting the sensor going on 94170015 to try out the speed density. Here is my post from the speed density thread, as really, it's more relevant to this thread.

I messed around with the map sensor, a voltmeter and a potentiometer today and was able to answer a few of my questions while also finding a small issue with the Omni-Power MAP sensor.

The map sensor did not work at first. After talking with Steve at Omnipower, we were able to get the problem resolved. It turns out that the sensor pin out is not the same as factory. You will need to swap the two outer pins on the MAP sensor harness connector. I would suggest ordering directly from Omnipower and asking about this so you will know in advance if the wires will need to be swapped as they said they will likely be changing this to the factory pin out. Omnipower was great to work with though and I will definitely recommend others to do business with them. IMO, this is the sensor to buy over the 3bar JDM sensor simply because of the extended range. A stock turbo on E85 can max out the JDM 3bar...

The ADC seems to be a true 0-5VDC input as there was a 0 count until ~10mV and 255 happened at 4.99 VDC on my handheld.

Scaling in evoscan was straight forward, but I'm still trying to sort out the scaling in logworks2.0. It seems that simply writing the equation in the protocol.xml file is not enough to get the logging correct? You need to go into the channel configuration in the logger (and dashboard if desired) and set the range to match the range entered in the protocol.xml file? I haven't verified this with a fresh log, but I was able to get a log that was not displaying correctly to display correctly after making this change.

I'm using (x-52)*0.2368 as my scaling in logworks to get gauge pressure in PSI. The -52 offset is the raw bit count I get at atmospheric pressure (84.77 kPa). I have done this because I feel that because the resolution is in 0.2368 PSI increments with the 4bar that the pressure measurements may remain more stable with this scaling. Atmospheric pressure usually sticks within that range, using the raw bit count instead of subtracting a particular atmospheric pressure may provide a more stable boost reading and was easier as all I had to do was input the raw bit count with ignition on, engine off. Something like x*0.2368-(atmospheric pressure) should also work for logging though if that's easier to use or provides more accurate numbers?

EDIT: I also loaded up the MAP test settings used on the JDM 3bar that Mrfred came up with for 94170015. I'm not real sure what these values do, so I have no idea if they will be effective on thsi sensor. I'll give it a shot though and report back. Reading the requirements of the EGR test to happen though, I wouldn't be surprised if my driving style never even lets these tests run.
To add, according to Omnipower this sensor is not really a new sensor either. They are using a sensor that they have been using in the Honda OEM replacement sensors for the last couple years and have had excellent success with the reliablity of the sensors.

I'll try and put a few miles on it today to see if I get a CEL using the 3bar MAP test/EGR test settings.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I'll try and put a few miles on it today to see if I get a CEL using the 3bar MAP test/EGR test settings.
Since your car used the 9417 ROM family, you should be mostly fine with the 3 bar boost sensor settings for the EGR and OBD-II tests. It might be prone to throwing a EGR code though. I'd just disable the EGR test.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Since your car used the 9417 ROM family, you should be mostly fine with the 3 bar boost sensor settings for the EGR and OBD-II tests. It might be prone to throwing a EGR code though. I'd just disable the EGR test.
My 5 bar works fine with the settings i posted in your log jdm boost thread. I expect you can do the same with this 4 bar. Biggest thing was simply putting in values for the max and min values so the EGR code doesn't come up.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
My 5 bar works fine with the settings i posted in your log jdm boost thread. I expect you can do the same with this 4 bar. Biggest thing was simply putting in values for the max and min values so the EGR code doesn't come up.
So your using a Kavlico 5 bar map in place of the stock shiz?

That'd be cool, Ive got a 3.5 bar one, that would do me just fine. Please tell me its so
Old Feb 20, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
So your using a Kavlico 5 bar map in place of the stock shiz?

That'd be cool, Ive got a 3.5 bar one, that would do me just fine. Please tell me its so
You can read up the settings i posted in MrFred's thread for JDM boost logging i did a mathematical derrived value for the 3.5 Bar to so you should be set .
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

I've put about 150 miles on the 4 bar with the 3bar JDM settings in the ECU and haven't thrown a CEL yet.

As Mrfred mentioned though, it looks like the 94170015 has fewer parameters then some of the other ROMs that may affect CELs.

Quick Reply: Omni 4bar map sensor Plug and Play