Notices
ECU Flash

Limitless cable for the loss

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limitless cable for the loss

Well just got my cable in the mail yesterday. I was doing some pulls on my way home while logging. Pulled over in the rest stop to make some changes. In the middle of the reflash it malfunctioned. I tried again a number of times. So I decided to pop the top off the head of the cable. When I looked inside, I found that 2 of the wires had broken loose from their soldiers. So now I am stuck at the rest stop with a dead car.

LIMITLESS CABLE FTL
Old Feb 5, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

ouch. sorry to hear.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

I would try to soldier it back on at least to get your car going again, or if you know anyone with a cable you can use, good luck
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by v-manracing
I would try to soldier it back on at least to get your car going again, or if you know anyone with a cable you can use, good luck
Good thing evos come with a soldering kit in the trunk.....oh wait.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have been trying to solder it. Everytime I fix one another breaks. They used some 26 gauge or thinner wire. You move them a little and they just snap. SO not I am screwed. It seems no one in my area has one I can use. So I may have to pay about 250 to 300 to get it towed home.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear, the wires I normally use are soldered quite firm, they would only come apart if the top of the plug is pulled open. I will check each one more thoroughly during testing. Did you try disconnecting the battery? it will reset the ecu out of reflash mode. A partial ecu rom upload if you are changing just a few values in a table should not effect the ability of the ecu to start. if it was two wires undone, you can hold it with two hands whilst pressing the space bar with your elbow. Or take it to the local TV repair shop and ask for a repair, so you can reflash it. log a support call on the website, and you can send it back for a full refund.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo4mad
sorry to hear, the wires I normally use are soldered quite firm, they would only come apart if the top of the plug is pulled open. I will check each one more thoroughly during testing. Did you try disconnecting the battery? it will reset the ecu out of reflash mode. A partial ecu rom upload if you are changing just a few values in a table should not effect the ability of the ecu to start. if it was two wires undone, you can hold it with two hands whilst pressing the space bar with your elbow. Or take it to the local TV repair shop and ask for a repair, so you can reflash it. log a support call on the website, and you can send it back for a full refund.
I was changing the whole map. I did try the ecu reset anyway. No luck. Had the car towed. So now I am out another 150 bc of the tow.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 01:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
ouch that sux. this is one of my biggest fears, flashing and something going wrong on the road..

i guess theres a lesson for everyone here.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
On MIL-Spec cables we usually have a small loop in the wire to prevent joint stress.
It also allows for re-working the connection.
Just a hint.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:23 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You couldn't have stopped at any nearby electronics store and picked up an iron for $10? Even if you had to take a taxi that would have been a better option...

I'm not sure how those two cables would have just broken mid-flash. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tephra
ouch that sux. this is one of my biggest fears, flashing and something going wrong on the road..

i guess theres a lesson for everyone here.
Wow nice tips and Thanks a lot for sharing
I do have the same cable at home right now!! However, I still haven't been able to make mine to work with the ecuflash yet......Lucky ME or UnLucky ME...Hehehe
Old Feb 6, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Right now I am still trying to get a file onto the ecu. All i keep getting is the no response error. I hope this did not fry my ecu.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:39 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyloc
Right now I am still trying to get a file onto the ecu. All i keep getting is the no response error. I hope this did not fry my ecu.
Is your battery dead from trying to start it? Make sure to hook it up to a charger.

Even with the car on a charger I would get no response errors sometimes until I drove for ~5 minutes. Unfortunately I don't think that helps you, but fortunately I don't think its possible to brick your ECU in the manner you have described.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

got it fixed.....last few posts

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...sh-1-41-a.html