Notices
ECU Flash

disable nearly all OBD tests

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
disable nearly all OBD tests

Turns out that there is a 1D table that overrides the periphery settings in P2 FCA and P3 FDA and sets all these bits equal to zero. This would disable nearly all of the OBD-II tests, however, I'm not sure if it will kill off all associated CELs. Would be interesting to try on a car with none of the OBD CEL kill tricks.

<table name="Disable/Allow P2_FCA, P3_FDA Bits" category="Periphery" address="101C" type="1D" level="2" scaling="uint8"/>
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have any mods to my rom and have a CEL for the rear o2 being out and replaced with a wideband. will this work with rom 94170008? Also is there any bad effects that will come along with it?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey i have a bunch of cels and i only disabled the rear o2 and the things to aid with cold start up. but i still have a few more cels would you like for me to still try?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

ok i tried the patch and it worked for all but the p0141 o2 sensor heater, which i havent done the resistor mod yet so i was thinking that was gonna happen. Thankks for all the hard work once again.
Attached Thumbnails disable nearly all OBD tests-cel.jpg  
Old Dec 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mrfred: I mentioned 101c over here (and as usual, acamus was there long before us) when I was working my way through the periphery ROM-to-RAM copying routine; there's a whole bunch of items just past 0x1000 that control a variety of periphery bits.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by logic
mrfred: I mentioned 101c over here (and as usual, acamus was there long before us) when I was working my way through the periphery ROM-to-RAM copying routine; there's a whole bunch of items just past 0x1000 that control a variety of periphery bits.
I was thinking about you mentioning something like this when I put up the post, but I couldn't find it. Did you try out disabling 0x101C?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

just for clarification, this would mainly be used to pass emissions tests, correct? not intended for noobs that want to disable their CEL...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I never bothered running through any tests of it, since the code seemed pretty clear, albeit somewhat odd; it seemed really weird to have multiple places to enable/disable those, especially the individual FCA toggles from 101D-1025. I think this is one of those places where it would be a lot more obvious if we had the original C source sitting in front of us with comments (and a window with Google Translate running in it ).

(At this point, I can't actually test much of anything either, which is why I've been so quiet lately; the recent cold weather caused some damage to the Evo that I haven't wanted to investigate both because of the cold and because I'm afraid of what I'll find. I have this sinking suspicion that I may have our 1g up and running with an IX ECU before I have the Evo running properly again...)
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone who tried this patch, do you still have normal MUT and OBD2 communications?

Setting Periphery2 bit 0 = 0, looks like it will lock out 15625 and 10400 baud selection under certain conditions.

Unless I am looking at things wrong.

Edit :
Periphery2 bit 0 = 0, looks like it could mess with the Front O2 Sensor Switch Point, also.

Maybe some else could look at Periphery2 bit 0?

Last edited by Ceddy; Dec 18, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:16 AM
Account Disabled

Looks good Mrfred, I assume the xml works for all the popular rom ID's? When I finally get my CEL throwing evo ecu'd DSM up and running next weekend I'll give this a shot. Also I assume I would change the table to all 0's?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by sk8terdude929
ok i tried the patch and it worked for all but the p0141 o2 sensor heater, which i havent done the resistor mod yet so i was thinking that was gonna happen. Thankks for all the hard work once again.
Turns out that's one of the few tests that it doesn't disable. It also does not disable P0069, P0111, P0554, P1530, P0830, and P0090. These along with P0140 are all controlled by P4_FEA.

Originally Posted by logic
I never bothered running through any tests of it, since the code seemed pretty clear, albeit somewhat odd; it seemed really weird to have multiple places to enable/disable those, especially the individual FCA toggles from 101D-1025. I think this is one of those places where it would be a lot more obvious if we had the original C source sitting in front of us with comments (and a window with Google Translate running in it ).

(At this point, I can't actually test much of anything either, which is why I've been so quiet lately; the recent cold weather caused some damage to the Evo that I haven't wanted to investigate both because of the cold and because I'm afraid of what I'll find. I have this sinking suspicion that I may have our 1g up and running with an IX ECU before I have the Evo running properly again...)
For bytes that override individual bits, I thought that these may be different from disabling the corresponding periphery bits because I assumed some of the bytes would appear in throughout the code to disable sections of code that may need to be disabled along with whatever the periphery bit disables. I just checked and its not the case. So much for that though.

Sounds like you think you froze the coolant and cracked the block. Bummer if that's true.

Originally Posted by Ceddy

Setting Periphery2 bit 0 = 0, looks like it will lock out 15625 and 10400 baud selection under certain conditions.

I haven't followed all instances of that bit yet, but the ones that I have indicate that it has something to do with closed loop operation.

Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
Looks good Mrfred, I assume the xml works for all the popular rom ID's? When I finally get my CEL throwing evo ecu'd DSM up and running next weekend I'll give this a shot. Also I assume I would change the table to all 0's?
Yes, it should work for all ROMs. No need to change any bits in FCA or FDA. This bit overrides anything in those periphery bit locations.

Last edited by mrfred; Dec 19, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:59 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just for reference, trying to get the un-blocked OBD tests:

P0069: ??
P0111: IAT sensor input range
P0554: Power steering pressure sensor
P1530: AC pressure or ignition timing or cam sensor
P0830: ??
P0090: ??

MrFred, does this just block the OBDII tests or does it also have the other effects of changing the peripheries (ie, the cruise timing change for the EVAP bits)?

This is a nice quick solution, but unfortunately it doesn't allow for some tests that we might actually want (I know, hard to believe ). I'm definitely going to use it instead of peripheries if it does not change the actual function of the ECU and only prevents DTC.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fostytou
Just for reference, trying to get the un-blocked OBD tests:

P0069: ??
P0111: IAT sensor input range
P0554: Power steering pressure sensor
P1530: AC pressure or ignition timing or cam sensor
P0830: ??
P0090: ??

MrFred, does this just block the OBDII tests or does it also have the other effects of changing the peripheries (ie, the cruise timing change for the EVAP bits)?

This is a nice quick solution, but unfortunately it doesn't allow for some tests that we might actually want (I know, hard to believe ). I'm definitely going to use it instead of peripheries if it does not change the actual function of the ECU and only prevents DTC.
Some of these tests may only be found on Evo 9s. I think P0069 and P0090 are only on Evo 9s. I agree that there are some tests that are good to keep active. What I find interesting about the global disable is that some of the OBD CELs, such as the rear O2 heater CEL, cannot be stopped just by disabling the rear O2 heater test, so I wonder if the global disable somehow can stop the CEL for those kinds of tests.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ceddy
Anyone who tried this patch, do you still have normal MUT and OBD2 communications?

Unless I am looking at things wrong.

Edit :
Periphery2 bit 0 = 0, looks like it could mess with the Front O2 Sensor Switch Point, also.

Maybe some else could look at Periphery2 bit 0?
I am still able to use my scan tool and evoscan as before so communications seems to be good
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
Account Disabled

When I set myfred's bit to 0 in a USDM 2003 evo 8 ecu running the JDM ROM I evoscan can not scan my ecu for CEL codes.

Quick Reply: disable nearly all OBD tests