Notices
ECU Flash

Car wrecked, wires crunched, car won't start

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wrecked, wires crunched, car won't start

So my thread title tells the beginning of the story, but not the end reason why my car won't start now. Cliff notes are at the bottom for those who don't want to read. The full story:

At the Autobahn Redline Time Attack event I went through oil due to a car's blown motor and was involved in a heavy rear impact. When the car was towed back in it wouldn't start. We saw that the ECU fuse was blowing. We finally traced it to a couple wires for the evap system in the back that got pinched. In our process of elimination we pulled the ECU and messed with the rats nest of wires behind the dash left by the previous owner.

Fast forward to getting the car home, I cleaned up some of the wires around the ECU because I wanted to take the car to get an estimate. I clipped and taped any wires that weren't going anywhere, and pulled some sensors for the alarm system that was in the car. The previous owner told me he had taken the main unit or whatever for the alarm system out and that anything else to do with the alarm shouldn't affect anything. Well now the car won't start, the starter won't engage.

I'm assuming something left from the alarm system is bypassing the ignition. Instead of trying to hook the sensors back up, is there a way I could just run a new wire to the ECU or whatever? I've now got a new shell, so I could care less about this one's wiring harness anymore. I just need some guidance on this. And for those who might just ask 'why not go ahead and put the motor in the other shell?' Well it was going through some coolant during my sessions so I'd like to make sure this 93k mile motor is okay before putting it in another shell.

Cliff notes:
-pulled what was thought to be disabled alarm system sensors
-now car won't start, starter isn't engaging
-have pinout for ECU
-want to run new wire, need guidance

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
-Justin
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Might try talking to a reputable car stereo shop. They have to use, or even bypass, some of that stuff. If they're cool they might even give you a copy of the wiring schematics. Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great idea, thanks!