Notices
ECU Flash

Advantage of innovate vs aem?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advantage of innovate vs aem?

I am gearing up to start working on my car's tune. Previous owner installed Tephra (I don't know which rom or anything yet). But he kept his wideband and tactrix so I am ordering those along with a boost gauge. I see a lot of people using the LC-1 innovate but a lot of people seem to have issues? I also see a lot of aem in there too.

I am mostly worried about how easy it is to start logging and tuning with either system. AEM is going to run me about 30 bucks more but I hate wiring (and the gauges change color which is nice) so if works well and is easier to wire that's great.

My car has a test pipe installed so I planned on using the rear 02 sensor bung for my wideband. It seems to be perfect since it is slightly above the 3 O'Clock position. My concern is whether that is too far away though?

Thanks for the help guys. I am pouring over the other threads but it is hard to grasp some of it without the tools right in front of me. My main concern will be getting my idle set up so it doesn't stall at stop lights
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive personally had both widebands and I could never quite get the Innovate to work correctly. I could also never get it to calibrate correctly to the proper afr. Also I wired the rear 02 for ecu logging with the Innovate and never got that to log correctly. I know the innovate wideband is a good wideband but I must have gotten a bad one or something.

I changed over to an AEM wideband and wired it up to log with the rear 02 and made a serial cable for it and everything worked right out of the box. Im fairly happy with my AEM now.

I have also had a bad experience with AEM when I used it on my KA-T 240sx with Megasquirt as a engine management system so I think it kind of depends on what management system you are going to be using.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

I had an LC1 and had several issues similar to what digger posted. I switched to the Zeitronix ZT-2 with the LCD screen and have been issue free for the past 4 years! AEM is suppossably a great unit as well, but I have no first hand experience.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by digger70chall
I am gearing up to start working on my car's tune. Previous owner installed Tephra (I don't know which rom or anything yet). But he kept his wideband and tactrix so I am ordering those along with a boost gauge. I see a lot of people using the LC-1 innovate but a lot of people seem to have issues? I also see a lot of aem in there too.

I am mostly worried about how easy it is to start logging and tuning with either system. AEM is going to run me about 30 bucks more but I hate wiring (and the gauges change color which is nice) so if works well and is easier to wire that's great.

My car has a test pipe installed so I planned on using the rear 02 sensor bung for my wideband. It seems to be perfect since it is slightly above the 3 O'Clock position. My concern is whether that is too far away though?

Thanks for the help guys. I am pouring over the other threads but it is hard to grasp some of it without the tools right in front of me. My main concern will be getting my idle set up so it doesn't stall at stop lights

I like my Inno LC-1... now it's in and working. BUT... it was a great big hassle to get everything in and functional.

My list of pros and cons:

CON: The first controller I got was dead, right out of the box... so make sure you're buying from somewhere you can return stuff to.

CON: Their product forum is not actually frequented by their staff.

PRO: Once you do get hold of their tech staff, they are very good, very reasonable to deal with, and work hard to help you.

PRO: Once you get it all installed properly, it works very well. No issues since. Touch wood.

CON: The serial link is via old DB9 connector, so you also need a USB adapter. Another small bit of added complexity.

PRO: (Allow me to digress a bit here) - I love the combination of the LC-1 and their XD-16 gauge. Serial link to gauge works beautifully. Gauge has configurable tri-colour LEDS around the edge - you set the colour mix (Red/Yellow/Blue). I've got green under 12:1, dark blue for the area around 14.7:1 and red in between. I can see if the mixture is "safe" out the corner of my eye - great.

CON: That gauge is pricey!

PRO: Two configurable analog outputs available. I use one for standalone logging.

CON: The AFR readings do seem a little more laggy than I expected - like 0.4 seconds behind the corresponding AFRMAP movements. Dunno why - it's installed alongside the front nbo2. The Ralliart's stock turbo spools really fast, so an awful lot changes in the 0.4 seconds before peak boost. I'm not very experienced at fuel tuning yet, though, so this may well be "operator's problem" and not an "equipment problem".

PRO: It's pretty cheap.

You should be able to compare this to the AEM users' impressions. If the AEM goes in easier and is more reliable out of the box, one of those might save you grey hairs from stress and annoyance.

But once the LC-1 is actually working, it's very good indeed.

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Jun 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: fixed stuff
Old Jun 2, 2011, 07:58 AM

thanks guys. It does sound like the AEM works out of the box more often than not.

I like the XD-16 but easier wiring sounds like a major pro to me.

the AEM is slightly more expensive but I have enough gray hairs coming through from work already so I'll go with them to save some hassle.

http://www.maperformance.com/aem-boo...aut-20024.html

is the one I'm looking at picking up. They said I could get digital or analog but either will work the same right? I figure it is simply up to personal opinion on the gauge face?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's personal preference, I have the AEM wideband and have never had any problems. I haven't had any first hand experience with the innovate but i have seen good reviews on them too.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

4 years ago i bought a innovate lc-1 worked for two year without any problems. i had to buy a new bosch lsu4.1 sensor in this time because of the miles i drove.

i liked it, because of the two analog outputs. one for narrowband and one for logging with the ecu. i never had a gauge. it was just for logging and narrowband simulation.

after the two years the problems began. it always lost calibration, wasn't accurate. even the narrowband output did strange things, fuel trims went to 25% or -25%.

then i bougt a aem, its still in the car and i am happy again. no problems. the gauge is nice to watch. i switched to aem boost and oil temp.

the wiring isnt a big deal with both widebands.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a Zeitronix. Get either a ZT2 or ZT3.

Why its better then the above mentioned Widebands....

- Its better then the Innovate because there is NEVER any issues with it. You never need to calibrate the ZT2/3, the ZT 2/3 will always log when you connect your computer, it doesnt have all the grounding issues the Innovate has, etc. The Zetronix WBs are very hassle free, compared to all the hassles of the Innnovate.

-Well the AEM is a better wideband then the Innovate, I still find the ZT2/3 better. The main reason is that with the AEM ,you have to build your own logging cable. To most this is easy, but to some this is another hassle. The ZT2/3 come right out of the box, with logging cable, ready to log.

Also, the ZT2/3 has all of the features the AEM or Innovate have, and the ZT2 has more features then all widebands discussed in this thread.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 05:15 PM

interesting ZT2 or ZT3 !!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 05:17 PM

thanks for the advice guys. I should have considered zeitronix more possibly but ended up going with the aem analog gauges (electronic gauges distract me too much!)

My tactrix cable is on its way too so I can start putting it together and figuring it all out. I am sure I'll have other questions along the way
Old Jun 3, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I'ved used LC-1 for 3yrs now, with a gauge. Never had an issue with it. My buddy bought an AEM. I had to research and build him this logging cable, it was a hassle.

Attached Thumbnails Advantage of innovate vs aem?-img_7599.jpg  
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

i just switched from my lc-1 to an AEM. Its much easier to wire and you don't have to deal with calibration issues.
My LC-1 was great for a few years (once i got it working properly that is) then it would just read weird and I couldn't get it calibrated correctly anymore.
I haven't had the AEM for long but out of the box its seems to be easier and better IMO