Notices
ECU Flash

Is this a good tune or a n00b tune, please scrutinize (ROM included)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:39 PM
OG
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good tune or a n00b tune, please scrutinize (ROM included)

Hi guys,

This ROM came with my AUDM EVO 8, previous owner paid a lot for it from a tuning company known for dodgy dyno figures.

My car doesn't have a wideband or a JDM MAP etc. for boost control and AFR monitoring so not sure how they measured actual boost when they tuned it.

Apparently tuned to 22psi according to receipts and making 203KW ATW on a dyno (again, company is known for dodgy dyno figures).

Problem is car is wasting a full tank in 186 miles or 300KM, not sure how rich it is running as I have no wideband as previously mentioned.

Any advice/recommendations. Does the ROM look right or is there dodgy **** in there?

This ROM is tuned for a stock boost solenoid, correct? Any problems if I flash a stock EVO 8 ROM in there, I'm not sure if the boost pill has been changed etc, do any of these ROM figures suggest that this may be the case?

If you guys need EVO Scan logs I can post shortly, any suggestions on what to log?

Thanks a lot in advance, I'm optimistic about fixing this up myself so any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: EvoScan log now added as requested.
Attached Files
File Type: hex
My ROM.hex (256.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by OG; Jan 22, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
if you include a data log i will provide my insight. based on the rom its on stock injectors and the tuner did raise the scaling a hair so it shouldn't really be getting bad mpg unless you have a faulty front o2 or something of that nature.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Um, I not an expert on all this but I've spent the last month or so tuning my Evo 9 with help from Merlin's guide and I can say that your rom looks crap. Both the high and low octane maps look VERY basic and wrong, I had a quick look at the boost and it looks strange too. Also your timing looks weird. Four things to do, buy a A/F sensor and gauge, get your hands on Merlin's guide, log, log and log some more with evoscan (log for knock but your fuel maps look too rich) and pay someone to tune your car, I've heard good things about http://www.vr-speed.com. Good luck

By the way where is Aus are you?

I'm sure TS comp are good too!

Last edited by Fireescape; Jan 21, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Um, I not an expert on all this but I've spent the last month or so tuning my Evo 9 with help from Merlin's guide and I can say that your rom looks crap. Both the high and low octane maps look VERY basic and wrong, I had a quick look at the boost and it looks strange too. Also your timing looks weird. Four things to do, buy a A/F sensor and gauge, get your hands on Merlin's guide, log, log and log some more with evoscan (log for knock but your fuel maps look too rich) and pay someone to tune your car, I've heard good things about http://www.vr-speed.com. Good luck

By the way where is Aus are you?

I'm sure TS comp are good too!
lol i tuned all the cars you see saying vr-speed tuned..

i wont comment on the maps until i see a log of the actual car.

3rd gear pull start it at 2000 stop at 7500. rename csv to txt and upload evoscan
log file to forum

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 21, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

[quote=tscompusa;9905858]lol i tuned all the cars you see saying vr-speed tuned..

Oh, fair enough.

I was looking at the OP Hi octane fuel maps, I've never seen a tuned map where the whole 10-80 load is set at 14.7 right across the whole rev range and having whole load columns all basically the same number. ? . Don't know much but that looks strange to me.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:50 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=Fireescape;9905865]
Originally Posted by tscompusa
lol i tuned all the cars you see saying vr-speed tuned..

Oh, fair enough.

I was looking at the OP Hi octane fuel maps, I've never seen a tuned map where the whole 10-80 load is set at 14.7 right across the whole rev range and having whole load columns all basically the same number. ? . Don't know much but that looks strange to me.
ya i want to see the log.

that block does nothing tho.. in between shifts you may trace over there and go lean, but thats about it.

i dont like to judge maps like that style timing map without knowing what loads the cars hitting.

the fuel map is most likely going to spool way to lean tho based on how its mapped.. again its not smart to judge it until you see the log though.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 21, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

The OP probably gone to bed, it's 1am here . After I get my exhaust, 3 port, A/F, walbro and licp installed I'll get in contact Tom and get you to do your magic on my car. I'm enjoying the challenge of self tuning but time is scarce and the learning curve is a bit steep. Cheers
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just from looking at the fuel and timing maps, they don't seem to look too bad, other than a couple odd jumps in the timing map, but as Tom said it's impossible to know for sure until we see a log.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
OG
Evolving Member

Wow, thanks a lot for all the responses!

TSComp, I have attached the log file to the original post as requested.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Took a quick look at the log, doesn't seem that bad, although we don't see load or AFR.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
Former Sponsor

ya timing curve looks fine.. there's no knock fighting the timing or anything. its going up smoothly as it should.

for future logging only log important stuff to keep the logging resolution high though.

based off the curve its going from 260 taper to 200 load
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:10 PM
OG
Evolving Member

Thanks for that.

Is the ROM tuned for the stock boost solenoid? Also, is there anything in the ROM's boost values that suggest that the boost solenoid may have been modified (pills etc.).

Thanks!