Notices
ECU Flash

Tephra Alternate Maps How To?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tephra Alternate Maps How To?

I've searched and cannot find anything. All I find is people who've already done it and this and that. But not a how to. Infact I noticed there isn't really a how to on anything Tephra. Just description of what everything is and how it works.

I want to use the Alternate Maps. Does anyone know of or could tell me how to engage the Alternate Maps? What do I do on the rom? How To hookup a switch? Is there a way to incorporate a LED somewhere that lets me know the car is on Alternate or Main Maps?

Where is this info????

Future thanks and to everyone. I really need to do something positive to keep my mind off of the negatives right now.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several ways to swicth from Maps A and B.
If you want a switch, with a LED, you have to wire a pin on your ECU and apply a positive voltage between 3 and 5V to trig maps B.
I dont know what Evo you have but for example it is pin 64 on a USDM EVO IX.
Try searching with "alt map harness" and you will find what you are looking for.
Please note that if you do not have any basic electronic knowledges, buy a pre-made harness to avoid firing your ECU.
Hope it helps,
Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, the best ways are..

If you have an 03-04, use the IC Sprayer switch.

If you have an 05-06, then use the TPS method.

That way theres no hardware to install.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:01 PM

What pin is that, the IC Sprayer Switch? And how to I connect it and how do I set the Tephra to accept that switch to enable the Alternate Maps? Thought it would be cool to run the IC sprayer but oh well.

And it has to be 5v? whats the best way to do this? Some sort of Resister to drop it from 12-5v? And since the car is running around 13.5ish... would it be best to set it for like 3.5-4v instead of specifically 5v because of the over voltage or the resistor will take care of that no matter what?

Thanks for the help. I have a switch in a nice spot ready to go.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

using the ICS will not deactivate it.

if you have ICS in your car, then in ECUFlash, set the alt maps trigger to 2. then set the ICS timer to what you want, eg, 2000ms

once loaded, you press the auto side of the ICS for 2 seconds and alt maps is engaged. press for another 2 seconds and main maps engaged

as for lights, there is also the ICS flash option. so when on alt maps, it flashes the ICS light

cheers
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarkerStars
What pin is that, the IC Sprayer Switch?
On USDM Evo IX: Pin 64 is not used from factory but ECU reads it, that is why Tephra made his routine with it. (You have to buy and mount an extra pin in your connector (C-119)

And how to I connect it and how do I set the Tephra to accept that switch to enable the Alternate Maps? Thought it would be cool to run the IC sprayer but oh well.
On the settings table, you can adjust your alt map activator.

And it has to be 5v?
Anything between 3 and 5V, just set the right value in the trigger field.

whats the best way to do this? Some sort of Resister to drop it from 12-5v?
1k + 10k resistors (1/2W) + 4.7V zener diode on the 10k resistor.

And since the car is running around 13.5ish... would it be best to set it for like 3.5-4v instead of specifically 5v because of the over voltage or the resistor will take care of that no matter what?
Zener diode will regulate input < to 4.7V

Thanks for the help. I have a switch in a nice spot ready to go.
Reading your questions, I am a bit worried about your capabilities to make the whole thing working...
This forum is to share knowledges and you will find here what you need but please, take also this advise: DO NOT play with your ECU if you do not perfectly understand what you are doing!
Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vigman
Reading your questions, I am a bit worried about your capabilities to make the whole thing working...
This forum is to share knowledges and you will find here what you need but please, take also this advise: DO NOT play with your ECU if you do not perfectly understand what you are doing!
Cheers.
May I ask why? This offends me, in more ways than one. Was I not supposed to ask about something? I'm just soo boggled with this I can't even really come up with an appropriate response. Why shouldn't I play with my ECU? Its a part of my car. I paid money for it so I could have it so why shouldn't I use it to its full abilities?

Besides that, your comment is half and half. "This forum is to share knowledges" but the rest then you mention don't play with the ecu if I don't understand what I'm doing. Is that the whole purpose of "sharing knowledge" and behind the very reason the question was formed? For knowledge to be shared?

I purposely purchased my Evo8 ECU specifically for its abilities. Not because I'm some idiot that just thought it would somehow transform my car into a big bad evo and then, only then would I be cool like the big kids. I'm sorry in advance if it was out of line for asking a question of something I could not locate on this forum or other forums through the local and google search engines. But I figured I'd rather ask the question instead of suck it up and live without something I have the ability to utilize.

Therefore I thank you for the rest of your response, and the others. I asked this question because I could not find anyone else sharing the knowledge of something I wished to learn, in order to put to use one of the lovely abilities of the Tephra V7 rom I have been tuning myself for my car in order to make my car more pleasing for myself. And I will prob. be asking a few more questions in the future in order to learn that which I do not know already.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

May I ask why? This offends me
Please, excuse me if I offend you, it was just an advise.
People on this forum perfectly agree with the fact Evos are wonderful cars, specially because you can dial in and play with the ECU. You, as an Evo owner and a member of this community, are part of it. As you note, I answered your questions one by one because it is what we are doing here. Since we all help us each other and since there is a legend that say "Newbie" on your profile, I was additionally just trying to advise you to be careful since wiring the alt map input require some knowledges you may don't have and having it badly done can burn your ECU, or part of it. It is the same when you play with EcuFlash, it is dangerous to play with any map you do not understand because you are playing with the brain of your engine without any watch dog insurance. Lot of people already blown their engine, by themselves or thrusting a "so called" tuner because it is simply what is happening when someone do something he does not understand. Now, as you perfectly said, it is your car and your engine and you are the one who decides what to do with them!
I gave you some info and you will do what you want with it, I just dont want to be responsible of any damage that could occurs on your Evo in case you do something wrong. I hope the point to be clarified. Cheers!

Last edited by Vigman; Mar 21, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:46 PM

Thank you. I am a newbie, to the forums. Not to cars or electronics. I have been in the automotive business for quite some time and have built many cars. Tuning is new to me but I am learning it. Not by making rash changes. I'm actually not an Evo person. The Vehicle in refference is a 97 Eclipse GSX. Mild build and bolt ons which used to be tuned by the 98-99 H8 ECU. However there isn't enough support currently for that ECU and I needed and wanted specific features the TephraV7 gives. The alternate maps are one of the features I wanted. For the meer fact that I can tune the main map for Fuel Economy and then setup the Alternate Map for power. My current build on the H8 ECU has already seen 396hp on a stock clutch in the past due to my tuning with local tuners help/advice. But now I am on the Evo8 ECU and it is much, MUCH, more advanced due to the Definitions already weeded out. The maps are huge compared to the H8's current "big maps", There is soo much more that makes it a harder learning curve but well worth it in the end.

Which is why I ask questions about things I don't want to just jump into without any prior knowledge.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The alternate maps are one of the features I wanted. For the meer fact that I can tune the main map for Fuel Economy and then setup the Alternate Map for power.
You dont need alt maps to do that.

All you need to do is tune the cruise area of your main map for fuel economy and the boost area can still be all about power. Fuel economy and power, in one map.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:33 PM

Well I currently have something like that going on. Cruising I get great fuel economy but at the same time anytime I get on it, in order to accelerate or whatever, the fuel drops heavy. Drove on the freeway the other day for a hundred miles without the needle even budging and the second I get into the city the needle plummets.

I've been thinking of setting up the boost control through ecuflash and tossing in a smaller wastegate spring to achieve a nice clean setup for daily driving. Right now thats all I really care about since gas prices are getting beyond unreasonable. Almost wanna have a header built to eliminate the turbo lol.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
You dont need alt maps to do that.

All you need to do is tune the cruise area of your main map for fuel economy and the boost area can still be all about power. Fuel economy and power, in one map.

unless your having apump gas and e85 map