Notices

Germany Evo owners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I passed inspection today. Switched to my 18" summer rims and put 50+ psi of air in the tires to make it high enough...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHA, nice.

What Bank is located on German Military bases?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Bank of America Community Bank and Service Credit Union
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:19 PM
Account Disabled

How does cell phone service work over there? I have ATT now. Should I cancel before I leave and get something there? I'd like to keep the iPhone if possible.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

yup, cancel it. We got the new Iphone through T-punkt (T-mobile) - I think they are the only company you can go through for the iphone, but don't quote me on that. Signed a 2-yr contract and the phone was free.
T-punkt, o2 and vonaphone are the big companies over here.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:29 PM

Don’t bother with Mitsu Navi

Originally Posted by .RYAN
Before I decide to buy the X or not. Just a quick question. Would the Nav work over sea's? Can I buy a Euro map, or would just a regular portable garmin be better?

Speaking from experience, Mitsu navi won’t work and is a ripoff compared to European portable car GPS units.
Mitsu's got the damn thing locked into a north American mode; you can only set time based on which US timezone you’re in (ie set by map, can’t actually adjust time). Mine is doing some weird inertial nav thing based on its last US location (some port around South East US), currently, according to my nav, I’m now somewhere around Atlanta… The other problem you hit is that it’s locked for US (region 1?) DVDs, and a European map DVD will be a different region (2?). Cost for European map DVED was around 150 euros ($200-250 or so) and I think it’s almost as pathetically out of date as the US maps. You could try to use “anyDVD” or something similar to hack the regional encoding, but I found it was far better to buy a Navigon 8310 here in Europe.
Current prices for an 8310 seem to be between 300-400 Euro (say $450-600). Kind of expensive, but far better and cheaper than the Mitsubishi sat nav. Mounting arm will let you set it right between the Tacho and speedo humps on an Evo X, about even with them (ie right in front of you). I’m 5’10, and it doesn’t block my view of the road (anything in that blind spot is going under the car no matter what I do), puts it perfectly in my line of sight, which is great, since I use that as my speedo. The KM markings on a USDM Evo X's speedo are almost impossible to use when you’re trying to keep yourself under the limit for a photo radar. The other benefits of the 8310; free quarterly map updates for two years, fixed location radar POI database (gives you verbal warnings when you’re close), two years worth of updates for radars is about 25 euro, HD traffic alerts, spoken turn guidance, highway lane guidance etc.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Swiss
Speaking from experience, Mitsu navi won’t work and is a ripoff compared to European portable car GPS units.
Mitsu's got the damn thing locked into a north American mode; you can only set time based on which US timezone you’re in (ie set by map, can’t actually adjust time). Mine is doing some weird inertial nav thing based on its last US location (some port around South East US), currently, according to my nav, I’m now somewhere around Atlanta… The other problem you hit is that it’s locked for US (region 1?) DVDs, and a European map DVD will be a different region (2?). Cost for European map DVED was around 150 euros ($200-250 or so) and I think it’s almost as pathetically out of date as the US maps. You could try to use “anyDVD” or something similar to hack the regional encoding, but I found it was far better to buy a Navigon 8310 here in Europe.
Current prices for an 8310 seem to be between 300-400 Euro (say $450-600). Kind of expensive, but far better and cheaper than the Mitsubishi sat nav. Mounting arm will let you set it right between the Tacho and speedo humps on an Evo X, about even with them (ie right in front of you). I’m 5’10, and it doesn’t block my view of the road (anything in that blind spot is going under the car no matter what I do), puts it perfectly in my line of sight, which is great, since I use that as my speedo. The KM markings on a USDM Evo X's speedo are almost impossible to use when you’re trying to keep yourself under the limit for a photo radar. The other benefits of the 8310; free quarterly map updates for two years, fixed location radar POI database (gives you verbal warnings when you’re close), two years worth of updates for radars is about 25 euro, HD traffic alerts, spoken turn guidance, highway lane guidance etc.
Wanna get rid of your Mitsu Navi then?

And Swiss is right, the navigons are nice and they sell them here at the BX. They are the military special edition ones which include maps of both Europe and Norht America. There are a couple different versions ranging from $200-$500.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Also, it is hard to see the KM/hr. In my VIII, I have the older Greddy info meter to display my kilos, which works great. Probably gonna get another for my X - don't like getting too many tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Bring the iPhone over and I will hack it for you then you can use any cell provider you want with prepaid or any contract. I have 2 American iPhones working here 1 Italian unlocked from apple and a German one
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Peter10654
In Germany there is a law how low your front licence plate is. I don't know the exact measure. In Austria the car doesn't be lower on the lowest point than 11Centimeter.

Peter

is it mandatory that you have a front plate on the car?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

YES !! It is mandatory !!

No front licence plate and you are fu.....
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Yup. I am coming from Korea, where front plates are mandatory but I got through two years without an issue. I was pulled over a couple times by the military police and the korean national police and just explained that there was no place to put it on my VIII - they agreed and was on my way.

The first month in Germany, I tried to pull the same...no dice. I was stopped 4-5 times by the MPs here and was told if I tried to get back on base, they would refuse to let me on. I was pulled over that same day by the Germans who gave me a choice. Either a 300 euro fine on the spot or he had a screwdriver and screws in his hand. I screwed in the plate right there - no plate holder or anything. Just plate, screw, bumper.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:08 AM

whats up guys ima be gettting to k town in january. ill be stoppin by this thread more and more to get to know u guys so we can meet up once i get in country. Anyone stationed in k town?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

that's where about 1/2 of us military evo guys are...

Quick Reply: Germany Evo owners