Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I did 371/315 today. The car lost 100 ft lbs at 3500, 50 at 4000, and was even at 5k vs a stock turbo and then proceeded to rock the stocker.

All in all fail. Slow, surges bad, makes no power.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What were the mods on the car? When I first put the ARMS on my car..it was surging really bad. I
Changed the stock upper and lower ICP's and the surging was almost completely gone. I also added HKS down pipe, hfc, and HKS catback and ran a lot better. That turbo does not like restrictions at all.

N
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This turbo does not really like low boost at all, I learned that when I had it. E85 or bust.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by novem
What were the mods on the car? When I first put the ARMS on my car..it was surging really bad. I
Changed the stock upper and lower ICP's and the surging was almost completely gone. I also added HKS down pipe, hfc, and HKS catback and ran a lot better. That turbo does not like restrictions at all.

N
Stock intake manifold, Stock cams/head, Tomei Expreme exhaust manifold, M7960 Revised, SD, HKS intake with MAF Delete, Tomei Expreme turboback exhaust. It has an HKS race intercooler, piping, and BOV.

21-22psi it made 339/286, I upped the boost to 23.5psi (the most the customer wanted) and made 371/315. All pulls were on 92 octane with more timing than boost to help keep EGT a little lower on the road course.

Surge was extremely bad from 3-4 and noticeable up to 5k and then cleared up. I took some MIVEC out and dropped gain on the EBC to slow the boost down and made it better but it still surges. For what he spent he could have had a Red and some S1s and made more power/torque at less money.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

I don't understand the fascination with some JDM parts. They seem to be expensive and not that great.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
mine

here is where i am at had to cut this one short
Attached Thumbnails Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all-pull1.jpg  
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo420
here is where i am at had to cut this one short
Is this on 91oct? And what psi? 24?

N
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be honest and say that it really doesn't impress me. Gains may not be worth the upgrade. BUT! How many FP failures do we see! Really! I'm not going to pull up a list of them or anything and i love the idea of having the power of a Black or Red in a stock framed turbo while keeping fairly stealth. But how long do they last? How many times do people send them back to get fixed? I can't be the only one who frequently see's a failed FP turbo post. I have only seen a couple BBK's blow. My point is do we ever see "My HKS or Tomei turbo blew" threads? I sure don't. And don't even say that not enough has been tested because there are plenty.
I would love to own a Black or a Red but i just can't afford to always have my car in the shop. I just think "JDM" companies don't want to build turbo's that blow all the time. So you pick more power=less reliable or less power=more reliable? Everyone should know that though...And i honestly think that Buschur and AWDMotorsports don't have problems with FP turbo's because they not only rip they're own cars apart often for check ups(I would imagine that I'm guessing right) but i think FP would want to take care of them since they are HUGE names in the Drag Evo community. I personally would purchase either a HKS or BBK if i wanted stock frame and reliability. Even though i know of a couple BBKs that failed. I think Dave Buschur would agree that a gt,hta,Precision 35r variant turbo is more reliable and makes more power than a FP Black.
Please don't think i am targeting FP or anything because I really have no problems with them. I wish i had a FP Black that would last me 50k miles for sure. But i haven't seen it yet... I just think stock framed turbos should't be pushed more than a Green or maybe BBK XL...

Just my 2cents......
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mine's evo
But how long do they last? How many times do people send them back to get fixed? I can't be the only one who frequently see's a failed FP turbo post. I have only seen a couple BBK's blow. My point is do we ever see "My HKS or Tomei turbo blew" threads?

I think there is less threads on those JDM turbos or the lack of threads can be attributed to be sold in lower volumes in the US compared to FP, BBK, or any other modified stock turbo. FP and BBK I am sure have sold thousands here and maybe the JDM cars that do use the HKS and Tomei just don't use this forum.

I feel it is all in the context of how these problems are reported. This forum is based solely on those that can read/write in English. Look at the advertising that appear in the header all American companies, but I am not sure if your IP is from a different country it is programmed to be the market's vendors??

When I am ready to get a little more HP, I am looking for a turbo that is manufactured in the USA and serviced close to the East Coast.

Last edited by Mr Evolution; Jul 23, 2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mine's evo
I'll be honest and say that it really doesn't impress me. Gains may not be worth the upgrade. BUT! How many FP failures do we see! Really! I'm not going to pull up a list of them or anything and i love the idea of having the power of a Black or Red in a stock framed turbo while keeping fairly stealth. But how long do they last? How many times do people send them back to get fixed? I can't be the only one who frequently see's a failed FP turbo post. I have only seen a couple BBK's blow. My point is do we ever see "My HKS or Tomei turbo blew" threads? I sure don't. And don't even say that not enough has been tested because there are plenty.
I would love to own a Black or a Red but i just can't afford to always have my car in the shop. I just think "JDM" companies don't want to build turbo's that blow all the time. So you pick more power=less reliable or less power=more reliable? Everyone should know that though...And i honestly think that Buschur and AWDMotorsports don't have problems with FP turbo's because they not only rip they're own cars apart often for check ups(I would imagine that I'm guessing right) but i think FP would want to take care of them since they are HUGE names in the Drag Evo community. I personally would purchase either a HKS or BBK if i wanted stock frame and reliability. Even though i know of a couple BBKs that failed. I think Dave Buschur would agree that a gt,hta,Precision 35r variant turbo is more reliable and makes more power than a FP Black.
Please don't think i am targeting FP or anything because I really have no problems with them. I wish i had a FP Black that would last me 50k miles for sure. But i haven't seen it yet... I just think stock framed turbos should't be pushed more than a Green or maybe BBK XL...

Just my 2cents......

Tomei had a problem with the first M7960 turbos. The hot side of the turbos were failing do to the cast being to thin I believe. They had a serial number on the outside where the turbo mates up to the exhaust manifold. The revised ones don't have a serial number on the turbo, they now have a Tomei logo instead.
One other thing I noticed is the Tomei ARMS that are tuned on the east coast seem to make way more power than the ones on the west coast. I would think 91 VS 93 octane is a big factor ( e85 / race gas does better obviously ) the only other factors would be who the tuner is and supporting mods. I think this turbo gets a bad rap because there are really not enough of them on the street. I have seen some 91 tuned
BBK full turbos not making as much HP as Tomei on 91, but again I think it comes down to the tuner and mods also.

N
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr Evolution
I think there is less threads on those JDM turbos or the lack of threads can be attributed to be sold in lower volumes in the US compared to FP, BBK, or any other modified stock turbo. FP and BBK I am sure have sold thousands here and maybe the JDM cars that do use the HKS and Tomei just don't use this forum.

I feel it is all in the context of how these problems are reported. This forum is based solely on those that can read/write in English. Look at the advertising that appear in the header all American companies, but I am not sure if your IP is from a different country it is programmed to be the market's vendors??

When I am ready to get a little more HP, I am looking for a turbo that is manufactured in the USA and serviced close to the East Coast.
I agree that less JDM turbo's are sold in the usa but that doesn't mean that there aren't a good amount out there with results. Also i don't know if anyone ever looks at "JDM Street car's" specs, but every time i see a JDM evo that isn't a full blown race car it is running under 24 psi. Over here in america i was running that much psi with my first tune with just basic mods and pump gas. EVERYTHING is different here than it is there. I know we have a lot more data on US turbo's because we live here and buy here.
Like i said before...I am not taking sides or anything. I just think there is little understanding on what the goals are here in the US and over in Japan. Not saying i know how everything is. But i think i have a better understanding than most on this thread considering the TITLE(Not very respectful in my opinion coming from another vendor. Even though Tomei will probably never get on here to defend themselves.) and the fact that for some reason people buy this turbo for other use than Road Racing or Time Trials. I say that because it is in no way for Drag racing. And the only comparable turbo to the Tomei for Road Racing is the BBK(Wich I personally know someone who dropped big cash on his Evo for Time Attack type racing and went through 2 BBK's.)
Now i don't know ton's of people in the Evo community but i seem to know a few people who have had problems wit US stock framed turbo's and not one person who has had problems with a JDM turbo. But i guess it could be to the fact that i only know one person with a HKS(JDM) stock framed turbo.

Again not bashing on the US company's. I am actually about to purchase a Buschur motor soon(I am a HUGE Buschur fan) and i will probably pick up a HTA86(FP made) while i'm at it.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by novem
Tomei had a problem with the first M7960 turbos. The hot side of the turbos were failing do to the cast being to thin I believe. They had a serial number on the outside where the turbo mates up to the exhaust manifold. The revised ones don't have a serial number on the turbo, they now have a Tomei logo instead.
One other thing I noticed is the Tomei ARMS that are tuned on the east coast seem to make way more power than the ones on the west coast. I would think 91 VS 93 octane is a big factor ( e85 / race gas does better obviously ) the only other factors would be who the tuner is and supporting mods. I think this turbo gets a bad rap because there are really not enough of them on the street. I have seen some 91 tuned
BBK full turbos not making as much HP as Tomei on 91, but again I think it comes down to the tuner and mods also.

N
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Good thing i never ended up picking a Tomei when they first came out. I also agree with everything else you said. I remember i think it was Diirk or Cwill @AWDmotorsports who had put one on after have a OG Green on his car with E85 and he gained a noticeable amount. But again Tomei didn't make it for drag..
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

So with my tomei after about 5k miles of hard driving and a tune that was creating super high exhaust temps I pulled the turbo to port it with everything else and noticed the twin scroll divider was cracked. I contacted tomei they had me fill out a claim sheet, I droped it off localy and they sent it off to japan for inspection, mind you this was right after the earthquakes . In the meantime they sent me a new hot side with no questions asked. I was very suprised and couldent have ben more happy with there support!
Also there new turbos are coming with a aluminum wg actuator, going to get one of those next

Last edited by evo420; Jul 25, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo420
So with my tomei after about 5k miles of hard driving and a tune that was creating super high exhaust temps I pulled the turbo to port it with everything else and noticed the twin scroll divider was cracked. I contacted tomei they had me fill out a claim sheet, I droped it off localy and they sent it off to japan for inspection, mind you this was right after the earthquakes . In the meantime they sent me a new hot side with no questions asked. I was very suprised and couldent have ben more happy with there support!
Also there new turbos are coming with a aluminum wg actuator, going to get one of those next
See thats what i mean. The hotside being cracked is not good but who knows what caused it? I guess we will find out when they get back to you. That is the quality you pay for. Service wise that is.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

I will say though its almost manditory to have a verry well flowing st up and port the crap out of it to eliminate the surge!

Quick Reply: Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all