Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAF vs Speed Density w/no MAF

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:51 PM
CMB
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmoevo
My driveability improved incredibly, I have Tial Q and Kelfod 272's idles rock solid and AFRs are perfect. I think one benefit was quicker spool but its hard to tell especially since im on stock turbo e85 and I struggle to stay out of boost just cruising.
How do you like that Tial Q? Thing is huge!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Its a great BOV once you buy it you wont have purchase any other one, just make sure you get the right spring based on your vacuum at idle.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
I'm not on SD, but I'm running Tephra v7t5 or t6 96530706.
OK I wasnt sure if you had converted. I too am running a MAF. But when I changed the id my car would want to stall.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:42 PM
Account Disabled

First post updated with boost plot overlay

- Bryan
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
No a larger K&N was used. I believe it was 4" by 6" but I might be wrong about the length.

MAF was using a 4" induction off the turbo to a reducer to the MAF to a MAF sized filter. No MAF was 4" all the way to 4" filter.

I understand the need to question the results, and I am all for questioning. I just really think the MAF is not a restriction at this boost and power level. We might start seeing the advantage of MAF less with more boost on this turbo, but it won't happen currently on this Evo with stock headstuds and stock cams.

All is not lost however, the car drives great with the VTA Tial BOV and the idle is rock solid with no "clutch-in" dips, etc. I don't think I have ever seen a Evo lock on to target idle RPM so well before.

- Bryan
I am not questioning the results, but i was really surprised since on AEM setups other shops have seen gains by using a larger diameter turbo inlet pipe!

In any event thats an extremely useful thread with direct comparison of the before and after results!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chris Moore
How does the car drive out of WOT?
WOT is good, except for when you roll on it in 1st. When I'm going form a 10-15 mph roll, the car would begin to spool and th RPMs would climb fine. Before it hits full boost, the car would sputter a little bit and the SES light would flash indicating knock. This would only happen for about a second, then all hell would break loose =D.
As I shift into second gear and get back on the throttle, there would be a slight hesitation.
Would anybody know what's wrong? We were trying to figure this out for awhile last night and couldn't come up with anything =\.

I hope some one can chime in with a solution.

-Jesse
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

As far as diveability, it's like day and night. Between shifts, while driving normal, is extremely smooth. A HUGE difference that I noticed is on the freeway. I can build boost for passing and SLOWLY let off the gas, and the car wouldn't buck at all!
Big plus for SD converion if you're running a VTA bov.

-Jesse
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice. Great job again Bryan.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good test bryan. Sounds like at that power level the MAF isn't yet a restriction. Good work.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jessmanEVO
WOT is good, except for when you roll on it in 1st. When I'm going form a 10-15 mph roll, the car would begin to spool and th RPMs would climb fine. Before it hits full boost, the car would sputter a little bit and the SES light would flash indicating knock. This would only happen for about a second, then all hell would break loose =D.
As I shift into second gear and get back on the throttle, there would be a slight hesitation.
Would anybody know what's wrong? We were trying to figure this out for awhile last night and couldn't come up with anything =\.

-Jesse
Bump for someones help =\
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to step on anyone's toes but have you by chance asked Sean what he thought about it?

Good luck figuring out what the issue is
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-Jesse
Might want to try to play with the asynch vs tpsdelta settings. SD needs more asynch fuel than a maf based tune does to eliminate that brief lean spike when getting on the throttle.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the sputter happen right around 4000 rpm when rolling on the throttle from cruising speeds into boost? Do you experience this when you go WOT at a low rpm?

I had this issue right around 4000rpm and was able to alleviate the sputter by adjusting RPM VE (higher in my case).

Feel free to post up your Map v Load tables or RPM v VE tables.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Just for data sake RyuEvoIX picked up 30whp on the red with the switch to speed density. from 560-590 on TTP dyno. likely around 500 on GST dyno. So I will stay with something else flirted with results here.

My own experience has shown larger turbos are more sensitive to freeing up airflow before the turbo. there are quite a few on here that have shown 50whp gains with switch from 3 to 4 inch intakes with large turbos.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Nov 17, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Does the sputter happen right around 4000 rpm when rolling on the throttle from cruising speeds into boost? Do you experience this when you go WOT at a low rpm?

I had this issue right around 4000rpm and was able to alleviate the sputter by adjusting RPM VE (higher in my case).

Feel free to post up your Map v Load tables or RPM v VE tables.
Happens right at WOT and when getting on the gas between WOT gears.

I played with the RPM VE table but I felt it wasn't helping enough

RPM VE is currently:

I'm thinking the asynch vs tpsdelta settings might need some tweaking as I haven't even touched those

- Bryan

Quick Reply: MAF vs Speed Density w/no MAF