Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAF vs Speed Density w/no MAF

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Just for data sake RyuEvoIX picked up 30whp on the red with the switch to speed density. from 560-590 on TTP dyno. likely around 500 on GST dyno. So I will stay with something else flirted with results here.
With alot more boost too right? I can see higher boost applications more so benefiting from SD. Remember this is just one data set, and it's a pretty "mild" setup. "low" boost for a 35R, stock cams, stock motor, etc.

Not sure how anything could be amiss with the results when boost/afr/ etc where all exactly the same for both. It is what it is don't you think?

- bryan
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

and as far data and testing those results from the other shop should be taken with a grain of salt.

btw I get sputter around 2k rpms where I believe IPW gets a little crazy but other than that its great.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Does the sputter happen right around 4000 rpm when rolling on the throttle from cruising speeds into boost? Do you experience this when you go WOT at a low rpm?

I had this issue right around 4000rpm and was able to alleviate the sputter by adjusting RPM VE (higher in my case).

Feel free to post up your Map v Load tables or RPM v VE tables.
I just tried it on the freeway, and it does happen right before it begins seeing higher boost.
Let me try the low RPM WOT and I'll post back shortly
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a great comparison bryan. I am truthfully very surprised to see that the car made little power gains removing the MAF.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Ok. Low RPM WOT is fine, until boost comes on. RPM VE or TPS?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
With alot more boost too right? I can see higher boost applications more so benefiting from SD. Remember this is just one data set, and it's a pretty "mild" setup. "low" boost for a 35R, stock cams, stock motor, etc.

Not sure how anything could be amiss with the results when boost/afr/ etc where all exactly the same for both. It is what it is don't you think?

- bryan
I am not knocking the results you got per se. just suggesting there should have been a gain. This may be your first swap to SD on the dyno to see the difference but many others have done it as well at similar power levels and have seen gains.

We could bench race till we are blue in the face on why this car didnt see gains. I am not really interested in that. I dont really care why it didnt see gains. I am just against you suggesting there would be no gains for other cars that do a similar swap at this HP level.

I myself have done a buttload of time consuming back to back swaps to see what works and what doesnt. I dont feel I am just guessing this car should have seen gains. take it for what its worth.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:02 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I am just against you suggesting there would be no gains for other cars that do a similar swap at this HP level.
I edited/updated the first post to better communicate what I meant as the last thing I want to be mistaken for is generalizing.

Same boost, same timing, same AFR, all carbon copy. This car did not gain any power going to SD. That is what I was trying to communicate.

Can going to SD open up more room for further tuning to gain more power over a MAF? Perhaps, but this is not the comparison I was making.

Will higher boost on this car see benefits when going to SD over a MAF? Perhaps, but this is not the comparison I was making.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Nov 17, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Bryan, I believe that we will begin to see the real difference at 35+ psi.

Last edited by jessmanEVO; Nov 17, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is no surprise. We tested speed density in 2006 with MAFTPro and there were no gains to be had on our setup maf vs no maf.

At 42psi+ we have seen the results start to appear.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
This is no surprise. We tested speed density in 2006 with MAFTPro and there were no gains to be had on our setup maf vs no maf.

At 42psi+ we have seen the results start to appear.
Thanks for chiming in and having more feedback from a shop that tested this out too.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Would knocking cause the motor to sputter like it is (or vise versa)?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jessmanEVO
Would knocking cause the motor to sputter like it is (or vise versa)?
The knock is caused by the lean tip in you are having which is creating the sputter. We'll get it taken care of .

- bryan
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
The knock is caused by the lean tip in you are having which is creating the sputter. We'll get it taken care of .

- bryan
I'm so excited
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Good work Bryan
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that on knock limited fuel power gains will start to appear sooner than on race gas.
What surprises me most is that there was no difference in spool between the two setups, I would have imagined the SD setup to spool faster.

Brayan, have you logged barometric pressure? If so did you see any difference between the two setups at high rpms (say 7k) ?

Tks

Quick Reply: MAF vs Speed Density w/no MAF