Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

New Dyno Chart using Tephra V7; Any Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Dyno Chart using Tephra V7; Any Feedback?

I just want to get some feedback on my dyno chart. I just installed Tephra V7 9653 ROM and change spark plugs and did a quick log for a dyno run.

The chart shows the stock run (just WORKS drop in filter and WORKS 3” TBE) and the current dyno run. Current Mods in my signature. What do you think of the curve and numbers? This setup is for a DynoJet. Gas is suppose to be 93 Oct but for some reason I can not add more timing without inducing knock. I can post some actual logs if that helps.

Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

uhhh dyno sheet lol?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The curve looks nice but with your mods, I would expect more. Those numbers can be achieved on a stock 9 turbo.

You might wanna try an open element intake filter. It will help get some more HP in the top end. You can even hack the stock airbox and have the open filter concealed in the hack air box. Also do a boost test if you havent recently (within the last month).

heres a pic of a open filter in hack airbox.

Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I am not sure if the 20G turbo is holding me up. I have heard that 20G and FPGreens are hit and miss in terms of performance. I have not done a boost leak yet but my Load is not high so I think I do not have a boost leak. Is the load curve a good indication of having or not a boost leak? I am thinking about getting a 65mm Throttle Body. But I am not sure if it is worth at my power level and mods.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you post your boost curve?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:39 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Using that VDR program, more people should consider using the evoM comparator setting, as well as be sure to include the weight and gear settings used to the left of the dyno graph. Just for reference.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer135
I am not sure if the 20G turbo is holding me up. I have heard that 20G and FPGreens are hit and miss in terms of performance. I have not done a boost leak yet but my Load is not high so I think I do not have a boost leak. Is the load curve a good indication of having or not a boost leak? I am thinking about getting a 65mm Throttle Body. But I am not sure if it is worth at my power level and mods.
This is very true. Some 20G and old Greens only made the power of a stock 9 turbo or slightly more.

Originally Posted by scheides
Using that VDR program, more people should consider using the evoM comparator setting, as well as be sure to include the weight and gear settings used to the left of the dyno graph. Just for reference.
Umm most dont use (or consider using) "Evo-m comparator" settings, as there is no such thing as an "evoM comparator" dyno in real life.

Also, DLL basically uses "dynojet" settings, so to make it so VDRs charts can be compared to those and a real actual dyno (a dynojet), the VDRs "dynojet" setting is the best IMHO.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would definately check for boost leaks. its not that hard to do. i found leaks at the fmic pipe connectors as well at the throttle body. regarding the throttle body this is a good fix. http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=584
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

NO. You can not see a boost leak in a load log or a boost log. This is why:

When there is a boost leak, the turbo still produces your desired boost, its just works a LOT harder to do it and starts blowing hot air.

The ONLY way to check for boost leaks is to do a proper boost leak test.

Go do a boost leak test.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I use the dynojet setting because that’s what I have close to my area. And it compares very good to VDR (almost the same).

I will post boost and load plots when I get home. Boost holds pretty well on this turbo but I am not sure if it is hot air because power is not that great. I will also plot airflow curves for comparison purposes. If I remember correctly the turbo is flowing 41 lb/min at my current settings.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

I use the dynojet setting because that’s what I have close to my area. And it compares very good to VDR (almost the same). I think you meant to say DLL

I will post boost and load plots when I get home. Boost holds pretty well on this turbo but I am not sure if it is hot air because power is not that great. I will also plot airflow curves for comparison purposes. If I remember correctly the turbo is flowing 41 lb/min at my current settings.
LOL, just go do a boost leak test. NO logs, plots of anything will show you a boost leak, just do a boost leak test.

Also, 41lbs flow seems low. Here is some info...

Flow numbers
Evo 9 turbo 44lbs
Old/reg green 47lbs
New HTA green 54lbs
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
41 lb/min isn't too bad. You have to remember he stated pump gas. The numbers may be a little low for 41 lb/min, though. It depends on the timing and boost.

The flow numbers above are for the turbos completely maxed out.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

For 24psi and pump gas it seems pretty good, im sure there is more power to be had with some greater timing.

I doubt there is a boost leak, if so, very very minor.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Here is an actual log of that run. The chart includes Boost, Load, Timing, AFR, Knock. I have not being able to run higher timing without knock. I am not sure if there is something I can do to the car to make it take more timing or if the gas is not good. I had to remove some timing at 6K to remove knock. Does the timing look low or OK for an Evo 8 with Kelfords 272.

This second chart shows boost and airflow in Lb/Min for the same run. This gives an idea of how good or bad the turbo is flowing.

I have not done a boost leak because load suggest there are no leaks. WGDC is at 80% @ 5500rpms, 90%@t 6500 rpms and 95% from 7200 to redline. Not sure if turbo is already out of efficiency range, thats why I am not running 100% at high roms. What do you think about the logs and flow?

Last edited by racer135; Dec 16, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Here is an actual log of that run. The chart includes Boost, Load, Timing, AFR, Knock. I have not being able to run higher timing without knock. I am not sure if there is something I can do to the car to make it take more timing or if the gas is not good. I had to remove some timing at 6K to remove knock. Does the timing look low or OK for an Evo 8 with Kelfords 272.

This second chart shows boost and airflow in Lb/Min for the same run. This gives an idea of how good or bad the turbo is flowing.

I have not done a boost leak because load suggest there are no leaks. WGDC is at 80% @ 5500rpms, 90%@t 6500 rpms and 95% from 7200 to redline. Not sure if turbo is already out of efficiency range, thats why I am not running 100% at high roms. What do you think about the logs and flow?
First, Ill say it once again, a LOAD log will not show you if you have a boost leak. The only way is to do an ACTUAL boost leak test. (but i dont think you have a leak)

Now there is things you can do to make the car take more timing (or boost). Just make it so its not hard for the engine to make power. If theres is a restriction, get rid of it. Restriction lowers VE and makes the engine more knock prone.

Also a big question that hasnt been asked, do you have a HFC or a TP? If you have a HFC, going to a TP will make the car less prone to knock (of course cuz it gets rid of a restriction).

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Dec 16, 2009 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: New Dyno Chart using Tephra V7; Any Feedback?