Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Ted B. Tuned - 2.0L Twinscroll HTA3582R 93oct

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
~250-300 rpm, closer to what you'd expect to see with an FP Black, and peak power recorded that way goes to ~590whp. But again, what you cannot see is how quickly things react each time you hit the pedal. That is where TS makes the biggest impact, and a static dyno run cannot tell you anything about it.
There is no question the TS hta35r set up is bad ***! Like for Like, the TS HTA35r will spool up between 500-600 rpm sooner then an HTA86 open T3. I had Ted's almost exact set up (HTA82 TS).. making almost the exact same power levels and the quick spool charicatristics.

I was going after the best of both worlds with my HTA82 TS.. but the TS does a little give and take.. you get more low and mid range for sure.. but lose up top. I'm a drag racer at heart and can live with a little loss on the spool up.

If Ted and I raced from a roll in first gear.. if we both floored it at the same time he would jump out a couple of cars before the open scroll could level out the playing field.

I ended up selling my TS HTA35r Locally to a car the previously had a stock Mainfold FP RED setup. The spool up loose was only 200-300 rpm over the Red , but it was like 80 whp more uptop on pump gas.

There are so many Evo performance combination that can basically fit everyone.. if not then buy a V8 with twin turbos.. lol.

Great Combo Ted! And I know for sure your car is a Blast to drive!! Good luck!

Last edited by Freddy302; Mar 22, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Agreed on all points. It's a matter of priorities, and finding what's optimum is always give and take. Knowing where best to draw that line for a given purpose is the hard part, and that demands experience (or lots of time and cash in experimentation). In my case, I'm not a drag racer, and when I apply the pedal, I want things to happen NOW.

Anyway, there's more power in it, but I don't think I'm willing to poke too hard to get it. Already I'm throwing a lot of ignition timing at it, and that has me feeling leery.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twinscroll rocks.
the difference in transient response is alarming.
as I've said many times before ... it wouldn't matter if the WOT graphs looked identical. Get in the car and drive it, and you'll know the difference in response TS makes immediately. No more dead spots.
again, what you cannot see is how quickly things react each time you hit the pedal. That is where TS makes the biggest impact, and a static dyno run cannot tell you anything about it.
I'm not a drag racer, and when I apply the pedal, I want things to happen NOW.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS.

Originally Posted by Freddy302
There is no question the TS hta35r set up is bad ***! Like for Like, the TS HTA35r will spool up between 500-600 rpm sooner then an HTA86 open T3. I had Ted's almost exact set up (HTA82 TS).. making almost the exact same power levels and the quick spool charicatristics. I was going after the best of both worlds with my HTA82 TS.. but the TS does a little give and take.. you get more low and mid range for sure.. but lose up top.
being the devil's advocate here - Instead of going to singlescroll, you could have swapped in a larger TS and made more top end than you are at now and still had improved response/low end.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car will make a dead man scream!!! twinscroll FTW!!!
I can vouch. I was the driver!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS.

being the devil's advocate here - Instead of going to singlescroll, you could have swapped in a larger TS and made more top end than you are at now and still had improved response/low end.

I like your open T3 Manifold the best out of ever manifold I have tried I guess it is just personal preference.. The extra waste gate and dumptube look great under the hood.. but I like it simple, small and plain with some raw power up top .. I do have to say some of those TS 40r cars seem to make some good power..
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Freddy302
I like your open T3 Manifold the best out of ever manifold I have tried... I do have to say some of those TS 40r cars seem to make some good power..
thanks freddy i will make a believer out of you soon enough.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES! Awesome results again Ted. Glad your car is back in business. Thanks for all you share with the community. I wish I lived closer so I could beg you for a ride.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Hokiruu hit me up when your in NYC.

Scorke
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by hokiruu
I wish I lived closer so I could beg you for a ride.
Actually, I was in Portland both yesterday and today. Nice place.

UPDATE:
I think it's about time for E85. First I'll check to verify that FP remains where it should be at WOT under load, then I'll fill it with corn juice and make some runs later this week. I'm seeing IDCs around 70% with these Bluemax 1250s, and that seems a little high to me. We'll see what gives.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Ted B,
have you noticed that with the TS setup, the transient response of the turbo is worse than single scroll? I know the boost threshold point is lower.
i've heard reports of that happening.

Cheers, Mike
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
EvoM Guru

That's weird.

This TS setup has much better transient response than any open setup. The difference is vivid.

If a TS setup demonstrated worse transient response than an equivalent open housing, you can bet something is amiss.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This car on E85 will be truly be one of the main ingredients to the ultimate Evo ever IMO. Very much looking forward to seeing the results.

Ted, please send me a PM if you are ever coming back to Portland. I'm NYC now, but given a chance would love to meet you and buy you one of the many fine local Portland beers.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Final 93 octane tuning result. Just slightly more aggressive ignition mapping, and that's about where I call it a day. I was concerned that the timing looked a bit too aggressive, but I pulled two degrees across the board for the sake of comparison, and it lost power everywhere, so I'll leave it as is.

E85 coming next ...

Last edited by Ted B; Apr 25, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:06 PM
Account Disabled

VERY exciting ted! i am having great results with E85 myself
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Look's like it's a fun 2.0

Quick Reply: Ted B. Tuned - 2.0L Twinscroll HTA3582R 93oct