Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Full-Race Twinscroll 40R

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Philthy748
Absolutely agree, but I couldn't find any readily available better options out there... If this car was a time attack/race car I would have had something custom fab'd but it's a grocery getter
Oftentime's it's the high-powered street cars that are MORE prone to overheating than road race cars. Example, 100* day, you do some hard pulls, right into heavy stop and go traffic. Suddenly you have zero airflow except what your electric fan can provide, but the heat from those pulls is still there.
Old May 4, 2010, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
keep in mind that 4" thick intercooler ius a bar and plate so it will greatly reduce the flow to the radiator, so you can expect a slight increase in water temps
what would you recommend geoff?
Old May 4, 2010, 06:28 PM
Account Disabled

i believe that tube and fin cores are superior to bar and plate. The 3" thick PWR intercooler cores are the best ive ever used, and ive used a LOT of cores. their only downside is that they arent 4.5" thick - I have yet to find good quality tube and fin cores over 3" thick.

My personal experience - I used to have a 4" thick x 12" tall x 24" long bar and plate core, traditionally front-mounted on my R14 - and had overheating issues on the street in AZ, only after beating on the car then coming to a stop. This year i changed to a vmount with a PWR 3" x 12" x 24". Obviously its a vmount so its apples to oranges but we had wayy cooler water temps and the same IAT - no difference. Running no blockage in front of the radiator really works wonders - and thats the biggest benefit of the tube and fins

FWIW if you are going 200mph with a 4" thick intercooler, the air leaves that intercooler at 14mph, only to meet up with a ac condenser and THEN it gets to the radiator
Old May 4, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiruu
Oftentime's it's the high-powered street cars that are MORE prone to overheating than road race cars. Example, 100* day, you do some hard pulls, right into heavy stop and go traffic. Suddenly you have zero airflow except what your electric fan can provide, but the heat from those pulls is still there.
The amount of heat generated while road racing is just ridiculous! I do agree with the point you're making but I wouldn't go as far to say it's more prone on the street - road racing is just nasty...

I couldn't locate any off the shelf options in the market that can support +700whp besides what ETS, BR, and others offer which is all 4" cores...? I also volunteered my EVO to Geoff if he wants to do some testing as I'm all for better performing parts.
Old May 4, 2010, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled

yeah i agree phil - I HAD to do the vmount, in order to road race the car. it was not track-able with the big FMIC on the front
Old May 4, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet setup Philthy! 130+MPH on low boost sounds very promising!
Nice job Full-Race, that thing comes in fast!

Jr
Old May 5, 2010, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JuniorAWD
Sweet setup Philthy! 130+MPH on low boost sounds very promising!
Nice job Full-Race, that thing comes in fast!

Jr
Thanks Jr... BTW, your sig is hysterical...
Old May 7, 2010, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

looks like these guys saw the same results with the AMS FMIC (garrett core) as you did, and also some good comaprison data against the buschur (Spearco core)

http://nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26
http://nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25
Old May 7, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
buschur uses garret cores
Old May 7, 2010, 03:24 PM
Account Disabled

i see, in that case i would expect it to perform like the AMS. maybe this BR IC was his old style? the pic is clearly a spearco core

Old May 7, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

that comparison info was from 2005, lots of things have changed since. ive road raced my car with a garret core and had no problems at all. i dont run a 40r, just a bbk full but no temp problems on a 95 degree day.

jeff
Old May 8, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

i have a full-race gt35 twinscroll and use the nisei ic and i road race the car competitively with no heat issues. just upgraded to the gt4088 1.06 for the next redline event and will see if i get any issues. but i believe nisei ic is the tube and fin design, which makes it very efficient and effective. rated up to 800whp which should be fine for the gt4088.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly didn't do enough research because I didn't come across the Nisei intercooler... The AMS Standard intercooler on my TS40R @ 33psi/~730whp was increasing ~50 degrees from a single pull on the dyno... The newly designe ETS 4" intercooler we put on is only increasing 20 degrees, so I'm pretty satisfied...

Keep us updated on your data on the Nisei, it does look like a great intercooler...
Old May 8, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

here is a link for the nisei ic:

http://www.maxumtechnologies.com/ind...products_id=27

check it out when you got some time.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

so any updates? did you make more/usable power with the switch from AMS to ETS FMIC?

Quick Reply: Full-Race Twinscroll 40R