Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

CBRD new BBKB results

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Agreed....I think all the negative posts about needing oil lines / larger housings should be addressed and an apology made...Although I guess in some eyes copying a product is the biggest form of flattery.
Just curious....did the original owner and/or yourself properly cool down the Full after spirited driving? Also, any chance that the original owner and/or yourself exposed the turbo to compressor surge? Not trying to start anything. Just trying to make the point that there are other ways for a turbo to go bad than just your speculation of insufficient oiling because their bigger and differently designed product experienced that issue.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The point is that when people spoke about the need for an upgraded oil line on the RED and BLACK turbos and the negative slant that was put on FP for this is proving to be a necessity on any stock framed turbo approaching these power levels. The BBK-B is supposed to compete with a Red and needs the oil line upgrade. ANY journal bearing turbo getting beat on could benefit from the line. I am glad that the BBK-B will have better oiling. Especially if they are to be used for road racing which is very tough on a turbo.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
The point is that when people spoke about the need for an upgraded oil line on the RED and BLACK turbos and the negative slant that was put on FP for this is proving to be a necessity on any stock framed turbo approaching these power levels. The BBK-B is supposed to compete with a Red and needs the oil line upgrade. ANY journal bearing turbo getting beat on could benefit from the line. I am glad that the BBK-B will have better oiling. Especially if they are to be used for road racing which is very tough on a turbo.
I'm happy about it too. Makes you wonder if FP's different CHRA wasn't the real reason FP added the oil line after all....at least not the only reason.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
I'm happy about it too. Makes you wonder if FP's different CHRA wasn't the real reason FP added the oil line after all....at least not the only reason.
FP added the new line because there wasn't enough oil pressure coming from the head compared to coming from the oil filter housing.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
Just curious....did the original owner and/or yourself properly cool down the Full after spirited driving? Also, any chance that the original owner and/or yourself exposed the turbo to compressor surge? Not trying to start anything. Just trying to make the point that there are other ways for a turbo to go bad than just your speculation of insufficient oiling because their bigger and differently designed product experienced that issue.
Absolutely properly cooled down....My stock 9 turbo that has 50K miles on it and is perfect...My point is FP identified the problem and solution a long time ago, and many (myself included) had issue with it....Now it is becoming clear the issue is more than the CHRA .... Oh yeah and didn't FP identify the high boost , low rpm surge issue....
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atkins
am i missing something, did chad or anyone from cbrd or blouch actually say that the bbk full needs an upgraded oil line or even talk about it needing an upgraded line? just because you(cij911) bought a used turbo from someone and it had problems doesn't mean that the bbk full is a bad product or needs a new oil supply. there are over 300 units on the streets and like 6 reported failures, thats pretty ***in good. when is the last time you bought something used with a warranty, especially in this hobby? do you offer warranties when u sell used parts to people? you should stop being a baby about your situation and man up. stop spreading rumors, and keep this thread on topic. you and your friends have offered nothing in this thread but are just bashing on a product that is not even a topic of discussion. cij911 you already have your own thread about your issues with blouch and your turbo you should take your friends there and sulk in your misery. the mods should delete your posts in this thread they have no relevance or informative purpose.

the only thing i saw is a comment about the bbk-b which is in its testing phase,not even for sale, and thanks to cbrd the customer doesn't have to do the r&d for the turbo company. its the way it should be, they tested their product and then analyzed the results physically and numerically. based off their findings the have not released the product yet because it is not exceeding the industry standard. the fact that they are going to include the hardware with the bbk-b at very close to its original price is phenomenal.

jeff
Jeff - Please don't attack me personally. I am not "crying" and I am not "spreading lies", nor am I "bashing a product". I have stated numerous times that I loved the BBK and knew the risk of buying a used product. Was I displeased with Blouch service ? - Yes. Several of the reasons Blouch told me my turbo failed was lack of oil / lubrication, contaminated oil, and being over-spun. Chad is an awesome guy and I have zero issue with him.

Regarding the oil line and BBK-B, I think it is a GREAT decision and glad Blouch/CBRD chose to go that direction. If you want to speak to me about this in greater detail, please PM me and I'd be happy to give you my cell phone #. All the best

Last edited by cij911; Aug 26, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drama.

Mark my words... CBRD will have an anti-surge cover on their turbo. CBRD will have an upgraded oil feed line.

These turbos DO surge with out the cover... and they will have bearing issues if they aren't oiled properly.

Most common mistake I've seen other people make is not priming the turbocharger with oil. They just start the engine after they swap the turbocharger.... BIG NO NO.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ there are entire articles on how to do the turbo break in procedure, its not bolt-on like an exhaust pipe...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Drama.

Mark my words... CBRD will have an anti-surge cover on their turbo. CBRD will have an upgraded oil feed line.

These turbos DO surge with out the cover... and they will have bearing issues if they aren't oiled properly.
Do the current Fulls surge? They just have the oem cover, right?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

truthfully if you think about it yes the FP Red and larger stock frame turbos have shown this issue. think about the wheel size compared to stock and the BBK Full. i do not think the Full since it is somewhat close to the stock it doesnt need the upgraded lines but the BBK B will and it has shown it. its a large frame turbo slightly smaller than the Red so what do you guys expect? i was actually curious about that when they first annouced the BBK B and it was wierd to me that it didnt need it at the time. its great that CBRD is going to offer the upgraded lines with the turbo for a fair increase in the price and not to mention the fact that the turbo hasnt been released yet and its the companies doing the R&D not the customer!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 09:56 AM

nice
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

vrmevo9, I agree totally on the oil line situation. I think some people forget this thing is still in PRE-PRODUCTION and has not been officially released. So in a way you almost feel like CBRD is too honest and could've kept this all hush-hush. I am glad they are transparent. My concern now is with the stock compressor housing. Or is it? I know they know their stuff and really doubt they would sell a surge prone product but it would be nice to get some info on the technicalities of how they achieve this. We know how FP does it. But again, pre-production so maybe I am jumping the gun here...

Last edited by TURBevO8; Sep 1, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

also remember that the B is said to be slightly smaller than the Red right? so maybe it has to do with the size of the wheels. they may have found the a size that didnt surge or maybe its the design of the wheels itself. again like you said this is a pre-production turbo, still in R&D by the companies who made it! i am glad that CBRD is taking their time on this and working out all the bugs before it hits the streets on customer cars. Chad has said it multiple times that the Full took him a year or year and a half to get it to where they were happy with it.

one of the reason i went with the Full instead of the B. i rather wait till this turbo is complete and has been around for a while. for now i'll max out my setup with the Full and ebjoy the car then the time comes i will upgrade engine/turbo and whatever else.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:56 AM

thats cool on 93 octane ..
Old Sep 5, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
also remember that the B is said to be slightly smaller than the Red right? so maybe it has to do with the size of the wheels. they may have found the a size that didnt surge or maybe its the design of the wheels itself. again like you said this is a pre-production turbo, still in R&D by the companies who made it! i am glad that CBRD is taking their time on this and working out all the bugs before it hits the streets on customer cars. Chad has said it multiple times that the Full took him a year or year and a half to get it to where they were happy with it.

one of the reason i went with the Full instead of the B. i rather wait till this turbo is complete and has been around for a while. for now i'll max out my setup with the Full and ebjoy the car then the time comes i will upgrade engine/turbo and whatever else.
Have you installed your full yet? If so how do you like it? I am thinking of just pulling the trigger on th full now and call it a day, the problem is I want to break at least 400whp(original goal was 450whp) but only have 91 octane and at about 5800 ft. elevation. I read review after review on the full saying what a monster it is on the street, I just don't want to install it and right away want more. If you have already done the install let me know your thoughts on the full. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: CBRD new BBKB results