Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.
View Poll Results: Should all Horspower Records be set or backed up MANDATORY on Dynojet Dyno??
YES
77.08%
NO
22.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Dyno Records.. We need 1 Standard of Measurement!!! Vote Now..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RyuEvoIX
Agreed. What's the point of measuring the same thing if there's a chance different sources could be completely off point weather it be unintentional or otherwise?
I agree and yes great topic Mike!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Who gives a **** about dyno numbers anyway, seriously? A dyno is a relative tuning tool to compare one run to the last.

If you want some way to compare one car to the next in different locations and/or at different times just run it at the track. Plain and simple. If you want to take the driver ability out of the equation, just use car+driver weight and trap speed.

But of course, that's just my opinion and I know that so many people here just love dyno numbers.
I agree with this. And for the people who voted no. It should be, "No, I don't think there should be any dyno records at all."

If you have a MD and you already know you are at a huge disadvantage of 13%, I don't really think you are competing for any records. Any dyno that can be manipulated to read what ever cf or number you want should be discredited right away. A record should have as little variables as possible and two different dynos is a huge variable. To have a track record there is one variable, 1320 feet. That's it.

I think evodan has it right, who cares about dyno numbers, take it to the track.

About weight, if you are trying to set a record why would you not try to weigh as little as possible? That is just like trying to get a record on a MD. You are a huge disadvantage to start out with. I don't think ER is trying to get a record but other shops have tried and then complained about weight.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jasnm21
I agree with this. And for the people who voted no. It should be, "No, I don't think there should be any dyno records at all."

If you have a MD and you already know you are at a huge disadvantage of 13%, I don't really think you are competing for any records. Any dyno that can be manipulated to read what ever cf or number you want should be discredited right away. A record should have as little variables as possible and two different dynos is a huge variable. To have a track record there is one variable, 1320 feet. That's it.

I think evodan has it right, who cares about dyno numbers, take it to the track.

About weight, if you are trying to set a record why would you not try to weigh as little as possible? That is just like trying to get a record on a MD. You are a huge disadvantage to start out with. I don't think ER is trying to get a record but other shops have tried and then complained about weight.
The distance of the drag race is not a variable, it's a constant.

To the weight comment...people are trying to compare engines... you say go to the track...I'm saying engines aren't the only factor to going fast, therefore you cannot assume that a vehicle with a lower ET/MPH by default makes more power.
Remember we're talking about engines and horsepower records....not necessarily ET records.

Again... look at MarkyMark's stock turbo car running 10.6@129mph. Most street driven Evo's @ 3200+ pounds only attain 10's with a good bit over 550whp (DJ) We're talking about a 700 pound advantage... you can't seriously be trying to compare which engine makes more power.

I do agree that the proof in the pudding is in your results at the track... but to compare Horsepower to Horsepower... you're best bet is the dyno. Otherwise racing it down the track only allows for many other ways of manipulation en lieu of a correction factor.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie

To the weight comment...people are trying to compare engines... you say go to the track...I'm saying engines aren't the only factor to going fast, therefore you cannot assume that a vehicle with a lower ET/MPH by default makes more power.
Remember we're talking about engines and horsepower records....not necessarily ET records.

Again... look at MarkyMark's stock turbo car running 10.6@129mph. Most street driven Evo's @ 3200+ pounds only attain 10's with a good bit over 550whp (DJ) We're talking about a 700 pound advantage... you can't seriously be trying to compare which engine makes more power.

I do agree that the proof in the pudding is in your results at the track... but to compare Horsepower to Horsepower... you're best bet is the dyno. Otherwise racing it down the track only allows for many other ways of manipulation en lieu of a correction factor.
I understand that weight has a HUGE factor in the ET/RPM but what I am saying is why even try to get a record if you aren't prepared. I am not arguing that, I am saying that people that know they are at a disadvantage shouldn't be attempting record runs.

If people think they can achieve certain times as a stock at turbo running 10.6@129 weighing as much as a stock car, then they should be educated on why they can't. Just like people at altitude in both 1/4 and dyno number and people on MD that are trying to make as much as people on a DJ.

Inform the customer, if they are too stupid just say thanks and let them walk away. Sometimes I think people argue just to argue.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dennis F
That is bull **** and you know it.

You have a hard on for TTP and their down fall like I want Megan Fox in my bed.
Hey Dennis F.. TTP is long gone from here.. Try again..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:32 PM
Former Sponsor

This was not designed as a Debate for Whether Dyno #'s mean anything.. Many of you are reading WAY TOO DEEP into things.. Ill simplify it again..

Do you beleive that if a shop, privateer, Ghost, cartoon character or any of the above are to CLAIM A HORSEPOWER RECORD should they be required to BACK IT UP ON A DYNOJET DYNO??

YES

or

NO

Nothing more nothing less..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree the dynojet is a standard.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
We use Mustang dynomometers for EPA and CARB powermap calibrations, there are no dynojet dynamometers used in the industry that I have even seen. Regardless, in the auto performance industry, I consider Dynojet to be the standard since it made to produce a number, not so much a tuning tool compared to the other systems..I would say use dynojet as the standard all the way unless all of the calibration data and dyno parameters are proven down to the second, but a trained eye can spot when something is fishy.. I bite my tounge on this forum everytime I visit the tuning results section, but I am used to seeing high numbers anymore, hell I have not even posted a graph from a customer in ages

Dynojet uses a very different method of calculating HP/tq then mustang, all in all I think it works very well, but the best of both worlds CAN be combined but this is a niche market and it would be very expensive.. Picture eddy current dyno, 5 or 10 different flywheels for inertia, custom software to calculate power by time vs. roller speed as well as load cell from power absorbtion unit.. Truth be told, mustang does make such an animal
Once again over thinking my statement.. you did touch on EXACTLY what the YES and NO is on the poll though in BOLD.. INDUSTRY STANDARD for HP FIGURES.

This Poll is for HIGHEST HP CLAIMS.. Not who makes the least amount of emissions, not which is better to tune with.. That is all a matter of preference and there are no facts to which is better.. Like engine mgmt systems., Its only as good as the guy behind the keyboard.. Our shop tuner prefers big roller 424x over all other dynos..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Yes to claim a record you it should be backed up on a Dyno Jet. Sorry for the OT
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I voted "no". First off I don't care about dyno records to be dead honest, we got caught up in that ONE time and took our black car to Switzers, this was early on and it made 903 which at the time tied us with AMS's 903. It was a waste of time and we never hauled a car there again to set a record with.

Records are for the track and to be honest Mike, you should ignore all these other guys with high numbers because as your signature shows, you know how to put the power to the ground and set records on the track where they belong.

As you said, our black car set and STILL holds the highest MPH for an EVO8 at 172.74 mph, the car here dyno'd like 890 whp...........I think I've seen EVO's making 1100+whp and they can't trap that high, so how much power were WE making? I don't care, I just like having the same record for 4 years!
Im with you on track times.. you know that.. we make a # to give us an idea of what we can run then we run it,, many other shops NEVER RUN IT.. I still beleive if a shop was to throw an HTA 3794 for example on their car and mustang dyno it into 1100hp and say hey look at us thats its unfair to the rest of us in the industry who look like amateurs because they have the ability of CTRL X or roller weight..

so i voted YES if someone is to claim they have accomplished something that NO OTHER PERSON has been able to achieve making their accomplishment 1 of a kind they should be backing it up on an industry standard dyno..

if not we might as well use the Vbox like the porsche guys and measure our 1/4 mile time by GPS too then and say well i know my car ran 8.9 cause Vbox showed me 9.0 and we know Vbox reads 1% variable..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

nearly 8 out of 10 people so far seem to agree with me.. So i must not be nuts, biased, or looking to finger a shop i dont like.. If i asked a regular member to post this poll there would be less fingers pointed at mike @ AWD.. but thats ok i dont mind..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blayq owns you
dynojet > all. Unmanipulated numbers ftw!
+1
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
This was not designed as a Debate for Whether Dyno #'s mean anything.. Many of you are reading WAY TOO DEEP into things.. Ill simplify it again..

Do you beleive that if a shop, privateer, Ghost, cartoon character or any of the above are to CLAIM A HORSEPOWER RECORD should they be required to BACK IT UP ON A DYNOJET DYNO??

YES

or

NO

Thats why I replied yes. Thought I read it right
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R/TErnie

Very well said.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports

YES

or

NO

"cartoon character" ,,, LMAO!!

Quick Reply: Dyno Records.. We need 1 Standard of Measurement!!! Vote Now..