Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Comment on my (FP Black & HFS-6 Meth) Virtual Dyno Graph (Bonus: fun FP Red comparo)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comment on my (FP Black & HFS-6 Meth) Virtual Dyno Graph (Bonus: fun FP Red comparo)

So for ~ the past month, I've been tuning my stock block Evo IX with an FP black and meth.

Let me start by saying this is the first car I've ever tuned. Learning to "tune," on an aggressive setup like this has been a challenge to say the least. But, after hours and hours and hours and hours of reading and a huge number of logs, I've made some good progress, at least in my opinion. (And i only had two logs with knock greater than 10 ).

Here's the current Virtual Dyno graph at 31psi:

EDIT, other graphs to come. Tire size was a tad off and, unfortunately for me, graph was reading high.

Now for reference, here was the same car on a totally different tune (not done by me) on an FP Red and a high flow cat, BUT somewhere around, I'm guessing 37psi; my boost gauge would quickly max out at 35 psi....).

Note, we all know comparing dynos isn't a good idea, especially digital ones to physical ones, lol, but as you can see, I lost A LOT of tq. (both have smoothing set to 2 and the latter is on a dynojet, for whatever it's worth).

I suspect nearly all the tq was lost from the ~20% difference in peak boost (31psi vs 37+?)

In conclusion, I'm pretty proud of my tune. I'm certainly not done, but I'm about 90% of the way there. I may actually retard the timing a tad, and bump the boost by 3psi and see where it takes me. OR i may just leave well enough alone and start saving for a new clutch and built 5 speed. I'm sure there are many of you out there making sooo much more hp, but yeah, it is what it is lol.

I'd also like to note that with the new tune, I'm getting really great gas millage.

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Last edited by Carloverx; Aug 9, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

That's real nice for you first car, I especially like the torque curve. What are ur mods though?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
That's real nice for you first car, I especially like the torque curve. What are ur mods though?
thanks, and a huge amount of stuff>
Major parts include
Cosworth M2 Cams
FIC 850cc Injectors
ETS 3inch FMIC

Minor stuff include:
FP 18psi Wastegate
FP Intake Pipe
Forge RS BOV
ETS LICP
TurboTrix UICP
Amsoil Cone Filter
Silicone Hoses Cajun Power T-Bolt Clamp Kit
Mil. Spec 65 MM throttle body
Hallman MBC
PPI Ported Intake Manifold
Ported exhaust manifold
Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:55 PM

Nice numbers! What percentage meth are you using and what size nozzles?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks pretty good. Good work for your first time tuning a car
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jcroswell
Nice numbers! What percentage meth are you using and what size nozzles?
Thanks, running two jets, 0.8 & 0.9.

50/50 water meth.

Comes on at IDC % of about 22% and matches injector load the whole way.

I have nothing to compare that to, but it seems a good deal of meth. Trying to make the AFRs smooth at that point was tough at first.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15

I agree 100% great tq curve kinda looks like mine
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the red graph kills the black. another fine example of an expected upgrade turns out to be a down grade for setup. I would put the red back on or maybe even a BBK.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:34 PM
Account Disabled

You have to remember it's his first time tuning also on the red he was running 37 psi that's a big difference also not to mention his stock block is gonna last longer with the low tq ramp then the red that had some monster tq which = bad news for the wrist pins and rod bolts.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Your tune needs lots of work. A/F goes up and down and up again?

I'm sure the Red felt way faster at this point.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the red graph kills the black. another fine example of an expected upgrade turns out to be a down grade for setup. I would put the red back on or maybe even a BBK.
Well few quick thoughts on that (and you may be right).

1. Imagine if I set the black up for 37psi like the red? Both turbos thrive in the mid 30's. I'm pretty sure I'd have more tq than the red had hp lol

2. I'm not sure how the hfc and smaller red were affecting the ratio of tq to hp.

I will agree, the red's kill-mode tune would be faster in the 1/4, but I THINK an equally punishing tune would walk the red at literally every point on the graph.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Last edited by Carloverx; Aug 7, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 03:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Carloverx

1. Image if I set the black up for 37psi like the red? Both turbos thrive in the mid 30's. I'm pretty sure I'd have more tq than the red had hp lol

2. I'm not sure how the hfc and smaller red were affecting the ratio of tq to hp.

I will agree, the red's kill-mode tune would be faster in the 1/4, but I THINK an equally punishing tune would walk the red at literally every point on the graph.

I disagree At 5,000 rpms the red made 440whp vs the black at 350 whp and at 6,000 rpms the red is making as much peak power as your black the red would stomp the black on the street real bad no contest here buddy..
Old Aug 7, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have to disagree with 94AWDCoupe. Yes, the red has the better powerband, but considering the stock block, it's going to stay together for longer on the black provided you don't start revving it out to 8000+.

Now if you had a built bottom end to handle to torque and only wanted low 500s, yeah the red is the better turbo. Although, the black really isn't giving up much other then at the peak torque, which is obviously the higher boost.

But Dynojet vs. virtual dyno... who knows how it would look on a dynojet.

4doorstreetbike, you are forgetting his is running 6 psi+ less boost on the black. If the boost was the same, I think the black would be even or above the Red at 5500 and well above at 7500.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 03:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I have to disagree with 94AWDCoupe. Yes, the red has the better powerband, but considering the stock block, it's going to stay together for longer on the black provided you don't start revving it out to 8000+.

Now if you had a built bottom end to handle to torque and only wanted low 500s, yeah the red is the better turbo. Although, the black really isn't giving up much other then at the peak torque, which is obviously the higher boost.

But Dynojet vs. virtual dyno... who knows how it would look on a dynojet.

4doorstreetbike, you are forgetting his is running 6 psi+ less boost on the black. If the boost was the same, I think the black would be even or above the Red at 5500 and well above at 7500.
\

True but he was talking about the way it sits now!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx

1. Image if I set the black up for 37psi like the red? Both turbos thrive in the mid 30's. I'm pretty sure I'd have more tq than the red had hp lol

Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
I disagree At 5,000 rpms the red made 440whp vs the black at 350 whp and at 6,000 rpms the red is making as much peak power as your black the red would stomp the black on the street real bad no contest here buddy..
Sorry if I wasn't clear. There's no two ways about it, the red's old tune is, as I mentioned, much faster because of the added tq.

But that graph you're looking at for the red was the "kill" tune on 37psi. What I was trying to say was IF I tune the black to a "kill" setup, i.e. 37psi or 460tq (whichever came first), it would probably be faster than the red at nearly the entire rpm range.

That was the point I was trying to make, for better or worse.

Last edited by Carloverx; Aug 7, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Comment on my (FP Black & HFS-6 Meth) Virtual Dyno Graph (Bonus: fun FP Red comparo)