Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the insight...

I knew you werent retarding the timing like that during spool. I just wanted to point it out to R/Ternie just in case he was thinking of something else.

Anyways... Back to this beast. Get that Turbo repaired already lol... BTW, good work on the tune thus far.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Impressive to see how much power u have pulled out of that lil hotside. I have a similar setup but on a stock block, spool is amazing but u do sacrifice top end.
How much of a difference do u expect a bigger hotside will do? Would u upgrade to the 82 or 1.06?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LGshow19
Thank you for the insight...

I knew you werent retarding the timing like that during spool. I just wanted to point it out to R/Ternie just in case he was thinking of something else.

Anyways... Back to this beast. Get that Turbo repaired already lol... BTW, good work on the tune thus far.
no problem man. was just trying to explain it so everyone knows.

just because the stupid logger and evoscan didnt catch the 20% to 100% logging data doesnt mean it didnt happen.. i mean does he think the guys a super hero? he can move his TPS from 20 to 100 without hitting the % inbetween? LOL

ok im done. lets forget about this now. Same timing on his favorite shops logs and do the same thing as mine also.. i find that humorous.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
Impressive to see how much power u have pulled out of that lil hotside. I have a similar setup but on a stock block, spool is amazing but u do sacrifice top end.
How much of a difference do u expect a bigger hotside will do? Would u upgrade to the 82 or 1.06?
I will have the owner respond to this.. I have no idea what his plans are. As far as bigger hotside, from what i seen and heard on this forum, it will make it laggier but give WAYYYYYYY more power uptop.

Originally Posted by achilles3000
Tom the first one you posted on top of the thread till redline..Thanks.car spools fast.
here is the log sorry i forgot to post it earlier: (Keep in mind theres more timing in this car yet!)

The graph for this run looks alittle screwy. probably due to the fact the turbo was taking a dump + 20f cooler.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jan 25, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered the .82AR 5 bolt hotside that would work with AMS's o2 housing and downpipe configuration to keep myself from having to get a new o2 housing/downpipe/manifold from Tiago at VR, thanks for the great deal as always

Since I went with the STM650's it would be stupid (using FP's words, not mine) to not go to a bigger hotside and not let it all breathe properly so I bit the bullet and did it. We'll have a really good comparison for everyone. tscompusa has offered to retune it with the new hotside

Last edited by 05blue8; Jan 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I can see 700whp real soon for this beast
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LGshow19
I can see 700whp real soon for this beast
Maybe when it gets a new turbo

Mikey
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Haha, funny BLK...hopefully just new bearings

The turbo was delivered to them today, I'll talk to FP tomorrow and have an update. I could get it back as soon as Saturday BUT now I'm waiting on the new hotside. I'm guessing we'll go with the last "normal" looking pull for comparison which was the map before we pulled back a degree of timing. That new map was an experiment and netted no gain but the final graph did look odd, the turbo was probably going out and the wheel must have rubbed because it came out all wrong, luckily I stopped driving it before it damaged the fins.

It will go like this -

Same setup but .63 vs .82
.82AR with 3.5 buschur vs new 4' ETS intercooler
.82AR with new intercooler and STM650's vs Kelford 272's

I'd like to attempt all possible combinations but swapping out the .63 back and forth and cams back and forth is too much of a pain in the butt so that's all we'll do but all the dynos will be posted up for comparison reasons.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Looking forward to results...

I would really like to see the STM 650s vs the Kelford 272s

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Haha, funny BLK...hopefully just new bearings

The turbo was delivered to them today, I'll talk to FP tomorrow and have an update. I could get it back as soon as Saturday BUT now I'm waiting on the new hotside. I'm guessing we'll go with the last "normal" looking pull for comparison which was the map before we pulled back a degree of timing. That new map was an experiment and netted no gain but the final graph did look odd, the turbo was probably going out and the wheel must have rubbed because it came out all wrong, luckily I stopped driving it before it damaged the fins.

It will go like this -

Same setup but .63 vs .82
.82AR with 3.5 buschur vs new 4' ETS intercooler
.82AR with new intercooler and STM650's vs Kelford 272's

I'd like to attempt all possible combinations but swapping out the .63 back and forth and cams back and forth is too much of a pain in the butt so that's all we'll do but all the dynos will be posted up for comparison reasons.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

who is vr i have a 6765 from ams aka 950r and i have a .63 hotside and i was wondering about this .82 5 bolt housing that you got pm me if you dont mind.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Well I talked to FP and found out the issue.

A brief look into the past...

Back in early December during a tuning session with my previous tuner I ran into a bunch of misfire issues one day doing some pulls. I thougth it was my coils but they were all fine. My tune hadn't changed and the car was running great that morning. I decided to pull the plugs and checked the gap, it was all fine. I decided to start cleaning them up and saw this (picture attached). Somehow the ceramic had broken off and I couldn't find it anywhere. I scoped the cylinder and it also looked great. I swapped the plugs and it was fine. This picture was taken 12/8/2010 so that's the day the issue was discovered.

Fast forward 7 weeks to this issue, that's how long it lasted before the damage to the turbo was noticable. Tom has been tuning my car for a little while and it's always ran great other than having to drop my 9ES gap to .019. Well I didn't notice any issues or hear any rubbing or anything (after the upgrade I was very careful to listen to the turbo spinning after shutting the car off), the car seemed great.

Last Monday it started making the sound like something was catching and rubbing.

I talked to Brian at FP and he told me what looked like happened is that the turbo ingested something small, smaller than a quarter, larger than a small pebble. It had bent all the exducer fins a little, not bad, but the bigger damage was that it jarred the shaft which in turn knocked around the bearings. The new 3586 inducer wheel also was catching on the inside of the compressor cover a little. Apparently the bearings got bad enough and let the shaft slide around a little. Well Brian is the man because although Garrett housings can't be repaired he happened to have some parts laying around to fix this one vs having to replace the whole CHRA, phew. He is a great guy and knows his stuff incredibly well. He talked me through the entire process he would be doing from start to finish and the price is VERY reasonable.

Anyway, I'm getting it back all fixed, albeit not like new, but almost as good as new as the bearings he's putting in there are basically new and he fixed the exducer wheel and said he could smooth out the inducer and cut out the bent corners which actually FREES UP MORE POWER in other cars they've tested this on. I guess it's similar to the old way the DSM's could clip their wheels? I don't know he just said it wasn't actually a bad thing. I'm a happy camper and Tom is great, Tiago is great, once all is said and done I'll have in depth reviews about all the guys that have helped get my car back on the road

On top of this he'll be in Austin tomorrow to run the 3M marathon so I get to meet him, hip hip hooray...bad news, I don't have my .82 hotside yet I'll keep this post updated as things happen!
Attached Thumbnails HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85-2010-12-08-20.19.27ab.jpg  
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice to hear they are taking care of you. Robert, Scott, and Brian are great guys, and Amber is a great gal! I'm not just saying that because they sponsor me! They really are.

Mikey
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how well the .82 5bolt housing is going to work...I've heard some bad reviews on it. I have the ams kit with fs635 and was still able ot make 750whp on a dynojet on the .63ar housing. Spools wicked on the street and my car barely sees the drag strip since it's so far.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Good to hear your getting the help you need and they are fixing the problem...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

I just love these numbers

Quick Reply: HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85