Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Stock block BBK-Full @26 psi on 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock block BBK-Full @26 psi on 93 octane

I've been running the BBK-Full for a while now, but on low boost (21.5 psi) for road racing and street driving. I don't have easy access to E85, hate running meth, and am on the stock block. All of the work done on my car has been performed by Agile Auto in Falston MD. I've been modifying cars for nearly 10 years and they are the best shop I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

While my numbers aren't necessarily impressive in a forum with people running built motors with E85, I figured there are a lot of guys out there wondering what kind of power they can make on pump gas with a stock block and stock frame turbo that doesn't lag. In my opinion the BBK-Full is the best stock frame turbo for pump gas road racing as you don't give up any spool and have a huge usable power band with great transient partial throttle boost response. Raising the boost to around 25-26 psi (it was reading a bit higher than accurate from what I was told) I gained 16 whp and 68 ft lbs of torque with 0 knock on pure 93 octane.

I am on the OEM MAF/ECU, stock o2 housing, 2.5'' HKS downpipe, OEM intake manifold, and OEM exhaust manifold so there is more power to be had even on pump gas.

Edit: Here's a video of the car on the dyno!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65znM5ZVy_U

Last edited by blackenedwings; May 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added video / pics
Old May 5, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old May 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice results...with room for more power too. You have a few bottlenecks in there for sure with the unported manifolds, stock o2 and 2.5" dp. Its good to know you can free up that power whenever you feel the itch coming back. Great work...bbk was an awesome choice
Old May 5, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

very nice results, very nice. I'm in the same boat as you with regard to wanting a very usable powerband for road racing while still staying on 93. Currently I'm on the stock IX turbo but I am keeping my eyes open for something 'more'.

I'm curious to see how your stock motor holds up running 26psi... last year I slowly worked my way up to 27psi on 93, up from 21-22psi, and within two sessions @ NJMP I wound up lifting my head, lol.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
very nice results, very nice. I'm in the same boat as you with regard to wanting a very usable powerband for road racing while still staying on 93. Currently I'm on the stock IX turbo but I am keeping my eyes open for something 'more'.

I'm curious to see how your stock motor holds up running 26psi... last year I slowly worked my way up to 27psi on 93, up from 21-22psi, and within two sessions @ NJMP I wound up lifting my head, lol.
I do have ARP studs I put in when I did cams, and the stock turbo is going to have a bit more trouble with 27 psi than the BBK because of the flow/heat. That being said, I'll probably cut my 93 octane with race gas or turn the boost down a couple of clicks next time I'm on track. With 25+ min sessions and nasty summer heat I would prefer safety over eeking out the highest bit of power I can. Honestly at 21.5 psi its a monster on the track.

If you want stock response/spool with more power up top I can't recommend the BBK enough. I've got a bit of growth if I want it, but I'll probably wait until I build the motor to replace the downpipe, and port the manifolds etc. Eventually down the line I'm planning on a 2.3L build and a BBK-B or similar sized turbo.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings

I've been running the BBK-Full for a while now, but on low boost (21.5 psi) for road racing and street driving. I don't have easy access to E85, hate running meth, and am on the stock block. All of the work done on my car has been performed by Agile Auto in Falston MD. I've been modifying cars for nearly 10 years and they are the best shop I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

While my numbers aren't necessarily impressive in a forum with people running built motors with E85, I figured there are a lot of guys out there wondering what kind of power they can make on pump gas with a stock block and stock frame turbo that doesn't lag. In my opinion the BBK-Full is the best stock frame turbo for pump gas road racing as you don't give up any spool and have a huge usable power band with great transient partial throttle boost response. Raising the boost to around 25-26 psi (it was reading a bit higher than accurate from what I was told) I gained 16 whp and 68 ft lbs of torque with 0 knock on pure 93 octane.

I am on the OEM MAF/ECU, stock o2 housing, 2.5'' HKS downpipe, OEM intake manifold, and OEM exhaust manifold so there is more power to be had even on pump gas.

Your exhaust configuration is limiting your top end potential.

Thanks for posting your graph
Old May 5, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I do have ARP studs I put in when I did cams, and the stock turbo is going to have a bit more trouble with 27 psi than the BBK because of the flow/heat. That being said, I'll probably cut my 93 octane with race gas or turn the boost down a couple of clicks next time I'm on track. With 25+ min sessions and nasty summer heat I would prefer safety over eeking out the highest bit of power I can. Honestly at 21.5 psi its a monster on the track.

If you want stock response/spool with more power up top I can't recommend the BBK enough. I've got a bit of growth if I want it, but I'll probably wait until I build the motor to replace the downpipe, and port the manifolds etc. Eventually down the line I'm planning on a 2.3L build and a BBK-B or similar sized turbo.
True about the IX not being as efficient as the BBK at those levels.

I would always spike my tank with 100oct just for safety, even when running 93 and 21psi. like you said, 25+ min sessions, in the heat, they will expose weaknesses. The time I lifted my head I did not have any race gas in the tank.. just 93. I don't know why I didn't because I always do, I guess it just slipped my mind. I think I might have gotten a bad batch of fuel too from one of the crappy gas staions around NJMP.

I also agree that 21-22psi in these cars is still a lot of power to get you in trouble... but its ohh so much fun.

Enjoy!
Old May 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
True about the IX not being as efficient as the BBK at those levels.

I would always spike my tank with 100oct just for safety, even when running 93 and 21psi. like you said, 25+ min sessions, in the heat, they will expose weaknesses. The time I lifted my head I did not have any race gas in the tank.. just 93. I don't know why I didn't because I always do, I guess it just slipped my mind. I think I might have gotten a bad batch of fuel too from one of the crappy gas staions around NJMP.

I also agree that 21-22psi in these cars is still a lot of power to get you in trouble... but its ohh so much fun.

Enjoy!
Yeah, I have a lot of cooling mods too, HUGE *** HKS intercooler, radiator, oil cooler etc. Last year at HyperFest in 100 degree heat for 3 sessions a day the car never budged temps...the highest oil temp I saw was less than half what the Subaru guys were seeing.

Spiking 100 octane is definitely a good way to go. A bad batch of 93 octane is definitely possible. The last time I tuned the car on 21.5 psi I think I had some crap gas. We'll see this time around as I will be running on larger/stickier tires than last event.

@supersnow No problem, glad to post it, and you are totally correct on the exhaust config. At some point I would like to port out the stock exhaust mani, get a Magnus v5 or at least ported stocker. I haven't been too aggressively chasing higher power numbers because it's such a handful on a road course already. If I really want bigger power I would build the motor, go to a 2.3L stroker and a larger turbo with better fuel. If I do that I need to run significantly more aero and better tires and I'm even more up a creek if I do stuff it into the tires.

The plan is to eventually compete in RealTimeAttack and NASA TT events at a Modified class level. Right now I'm just focusing on getting the car dialed in with suspension/safety/brakes and getting as much seat time as I can with HPDE and autocross events. Next up I'm swapping my Bride seats out for fixed Sparco buckets so I can run my anti-sub straps properly (not over the front of the seat). My Volk RE30's are getting pressed out from some pothole damage and I should be good for my next track day which is NASA for HyperFest at Summit Point.
Old May 5, 2011, 01:28 PM

crazy power... hey.. how many miles do you have on your car???
Old May 5, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah great power! I'm running a FP Red and your numbers look great compared to mine. I do have to remind myself that a lot of timing was pulled due to my phantom knock from my DP rattling off my tcase. Either way nice setup.
Old May 5, 2011, 02:19 PM

great numbers ive been pounding the bbk full @28psi for sometime now.. lets just say all has been well
Old May 5, 2011, 02:41 PM

Nice numbers...and nice setup for road racing/autocross

If you're worried about too much power (is that possible?..lol) with the addition of exhaust components, you could always scale back the boost a little. But I think you'll find the power added won't make the car significantly uncontrollable.
Old May 5, 2011, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donkey26
crazy power... hey.. how many miles do you have on your car???
I got the car with 25k on the clock and it had a bunch of HKS goodies, but had been beat down a bit. Bilsteins were toast and the the 6-spd bit it pretty quickly but I didn't mind too much as I got a Shep 5-spd and KW Variant 3s. I'm around the 35k mile mark, and I drive the car daily (with weld-in cage, harnesses and gutted interior lol).

@Brainiac Good point, I guess I mostly didn't want to have to yank any parts off the engine (manifolds etc) until I do a full build. I still have a couple of driveline components I need to upgrade, but I should be getting a Shep rear diff upgrade soon. I'm more nervous about my transfer case, but it's still stock since I don't launch the car.

Now for what its worth my tuner said that there was still room to go on the car, but he didn't want to cut into the reliability or safety margin. He's really big on bulletproof reliability rather than grabbing that extra bit of horsepower. One of the reasons I love the shop. Once I'm comfortable and putting down decent lap times with the car I'll certainly be looking at improved aero and "moar powah". The extra 70 torque I picked up yesterday is easy to feel. The car pulls like a stabbed rat.
Old May 5, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soon2bEVOIX
Yeah great power! I'm running a FP Red and your numbers look great compared to mine. I do have to remind myself that a lot of timing was pulled due to my phantom knock from my DP rattling off my tcase. Either way nice setup.
The FP Red is a great turbo too, and with some GSC S2s or Kelford/Cosworths you will probably see huge gains. I've been really pleased with the Kelford 272s personally.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:20 PM

That torque curve really hits hard. Talk about snapping your neck back!

Quick Reply: Stock block BBK-Full @26 psi on 93 octane