Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo 9 with BBK Full @ 30psi on 93oct

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you like the FB 70mm tb? Better than OEM ported 65mm?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tom, I must say, you are a remote tuning machine....So the owner went from a 3 port to the AEM true boost, turned it up another 1.5psi, and gained almost 50wtq?? Ridiculous....I am assuming you will be testing a Hallman Pro RX MBC with the stiff spring??

Originally Posted by Debug
The s1's are the old version and I am in the same boat as everyone else waiting on s2's to ship along with the springs.

These guys get all the credit. I just did what they told me and asked a million and 1 questions.
No matter what your car is making some great power man...You may loose a little down low with the S2s but the gains up top should be nice...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
So what makes a mechanical controller not hold boost as well at redline, as a 3-port, like Grimmspeed? I'm curious to know the mechanics behind it.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^ Because with ECU boost you can actually control the WGDC at what ever RPM you choose, with a MBC or most EBCs you can't manipulate the WGDC per RPM...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
So what makes a mechanical controller not hold boost as well at redline, as a 3-port, like Grimmspeed? I'm curious to know the mechanics behind it.
A MBC is a bleed valve which means air is always hitting the wastegate. With a 3 port, you can run interrupt mode which will vent the air away from the wastegate.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So on a mustang dyno, the owner would be looking at around 420whp & 405wtq?? With a MBC @ 27psi on Chad's dyno I hit 415whp & 373wtq with my BBK Full. I am very interested to see what my car would have done at 30psi+ now...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of 400+ whp BBK-Full cars roaming around on pump gas these days.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by hamx0r
How do you like the FB 70mm tb? Better than OEM ported 65mm?
I never had the ported OEM one. I bought the Rev3+FB 70mm TB together as a package from MAP. They worked their fab magic to make it all fit up as part of the package deal.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Wow...I think I need to turn up the wick on my BBK!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
it has a fp 25psi wga. yes the car has arp headstuds. mivec definitely helps. we are testing different boost controllers on the car to test low end etc..

hes actually out testing a AEM tru-boost on it right now.

Let me add though.. if you upgrade to a bigger WGA, you must carefully use it and stay within the turbo manufacturers recommendations for setting boost levels, because if you dont, you risk damage to the turbo
itself by creating excessive heat, overspinning shaft, etc.. this is why you see i have manipulated a MBC curve with the ecu boost on this specific turbo.. because Chad told my customer what boost levels
the turbo could safely do and what it couldnt do.. so we are staying within those limits.

The stock WGA was probably plenty enough, but it never hurts to get a wga closer to the target boost level you choose to run.. it just makes the boost controller have to work less harder is all
Let me add something here that Chad also said (Chad feel free to chime in) when running at these higher PSI levels oil becomes a very important variable. I would check with Chad to make sure the oil you are using is sufficient before cranking on the knob.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
looks good!

there is no way you should see improvements with an MBC over a 3 port-

unless you arent running it in 3 port interrupt configuration!

I run alot of cars at 30psi (ive even run 40 on a 35R LOL) on pump gas... and we've never had an engine related failure to date

It all comes down to the tune and supporting mods-

people underestimate what a good FMIC does to help with this-

also-

Tcomp- what is your WGDC to reach 30psi peak? if there are no boost leaks- with the grimmspeed you should be around 72-75% on most cars-

cb
Hey Chad, can you comment on the "no way you should see gains" comment after seeing this comparison?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I honestly find it hard to believe those numbers-

I have many many graphs of cars that we switched from AVC-R's, True boosts, hallman pro's, etc to 3 ports and ALWAYS pick up power up top (rpm dependant control) without loss in spool

as a matter of fact- that flow rate on the BBK wouldnt support a 50wtq gain with 1.5 psi- it just cant happen!

The only thing I could see is that without the car being on a dyno the loading rate of the car was inconsistent or something that showed for that difference-

the only real way to tell, is to strap it down, and test back to back-

Not arguing, just basing this on the fact that we have pretty much EXCLUSIVELY been using 3 ports for 2 years now because of the tuning benefits of them.

cb
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
You can make a MBC hold more boost at redline by doing WGA tuning ie preloading the WGA more.

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
^ Because with ECU boost you can actually control the WGDC at what ever RPM you choose, with a MBC or most EBCs you can't manipulate the WGDC per RPM...
Right answer.

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
A MBC is a bleed valve which means air is always hitting the wastegate. With a 3 port, you can run interrupt mode which will vent the air away from the wastegate.
Wrong answer. When using a MBC, the is NOT air always hitting the wastegate. Air does NOT get PASS the ball, until it overrides the tension/pressure from the spring. This is why a MBC spools faster then a 3port.

In a 3port, even if you run 100% WGDC for most of spool up, when it starts gettin near target boost, you have to using a lower WGDC, this makes it spools slower then a MBC.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3 port run as interrupt is blocking the signal from the gate, bleed style will work like stock.

cb
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
You can make a MBC hold more boost at redline by doing WGA tuning ie preloading the WGA more.
I've tested adjusting the wastegate arm before (if that's what you mean). I did a test where I tightened it half a turn, 1 full turn, and 2 full turns. The only thing it did was shift my boost spike to the right. It actually induced boost creep. Up to a point it was beneficial (I forget the setting..don't have the data with me). But too much, I didn't like it.

Quick Reply: evo 9 with BBK Full @ 30psi on 93oct