Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Black Ball Bearing tested - documentary results inside.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Reliability results will only be available over time and when pushed on actual track conditions.
That is when the previous versions of larger wheeled jb stock frame turbos started to fail and some new measures have to be taken. I don't ever mind paying a little more for a better built product to achieve longevity.

From the results so far at least the BB redesign Black does not appear to be laggier with evidence to the contray. I like people trying new things and offering results. Most of us that have been around for awhile know how to descern data and not just accept conjecture although a frank opinion of results can be helpful too.

Thanks and carry on!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read numerous times that the FP Black was similar to a GT35R but stuffed into a stock frame housing. If thats the case then why not a ACTUAL GT3R or HTA GT35XX/PTE 6262

For the cost of the FPBlack, sending it to Owens and getting a tubular manifold wouldn't you be close to a T3 setup
Old Aug 2, 2011, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
I don't know about you guys, but 200rpm in spool is not worth to cry home to.

This test you just did, tscomp, is worthless without the same data on a JB turbo.

I think a lot of people are getting carried away with all of this ball bearing craze. At best, all it will have is slightly better responce, but much better relaibility. Is that worth over 3 grand?
at this price point.. i cant disagree with you.. the conversion is $750 UK.. and they only convert new turbos. but so far the turbo has survived my abuse.. and if you know me personally you know im hard as **** on my cars.

i think having a ball bearing fp black at a better price would be a win/win situation. say about $2500 or so.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whtrice
Reliability results will only be available over time and when pushed on actual track conditions.
That is when the previous versions of larger wheeled jb stock frame turbos started to fail and some new measures have to be taken. I don't ever mind paying a little more for a better built product to achieve longevity.

From the results so far at least the BB redesign Black does not appear to be laggier with evidence to the contray. I like people trying new things and offering results. Most of us that have been around for awhile know how to descern data and not just accept conjecture although a frank opinion of results can be helpful too.

Thanks and carry on!
yes true.. but ive put a good 10 tanks + now of e85 in the car in the last 5 days.. i have been brutally pounding my car in 90F+ heat.. i know thats not much compared to texas but the humidity here gets up around 98% which doesn't help one bit. so far its been good at 36psi.

its definitely not laggier.. it hits peak tq about 200RPM sooner then the journal counterpart. If one was buying it for its 150-200rpm quicker spool it would be a joke purchase, but i bought it mainly for its reliability.

i will post the transient response results shortly.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I've read numerous times that the FP Black was similar to a GT35R but stuffed into a stock frame housing. If thats the case then why not a ACTUAL GT3R or HTA GT35XX/PTE 6262

For the cost of the FPBlack, sending it to Owens and getting a tubular manifold wouldn't you be close to a T3 setup
The FP black has a 82mm compressor wheel and a 67mm turbine wheel. yes its pretty much a 3582R stock frame bolt on solution.

and yes I could have gotten a t3 setup for what i paid for this thing.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Cool.......Glad you tested. I'm sure All the stock frame variants will start coming Ball bearing soon enough. There sounds like a market for it. If they can make it cost effective to mass produce and keep the costs reasonable.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Cool.......Glad you tested. I'm sure All the stock frame variants will start coming Ball bearing soon enough. There sounds like a market for it. If they can make it cost effective to mass produce and keep the costs reasonable.
yes i agree.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
its pretty much a 3582R stock frame bolt on solution.

I could have gotten a t3 setup for what i paid for this thing.
That's the problem with a ball-bearing stock frame turbo... the cost just doesn't make sense right now. If you want a turbo (especially in a T3 size) for that price you might as well get the real thing.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

^I agree, for the cost if you want a reliable bb turbo you mind as well get a ball bearing precision 5857. They can make almost as much as the black and then you have a t3 kit where you can move turbos cheaply.

But the deal is that most of us are heavily invested in stock frame turbo setups, nice tubular manifolds and all the bolts ons etc etc...so its tough to move to a t3 for the price.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

You could sell your stockframe setup and damn near get what you need to get a decent T3 kit.

There is something cool about the stock frame turbo's. Kinda like making a Honda fast. There are other ways to be fast, but there is something undeniably cool about doing something with a platform that "SHOULDN'T" be able to achieve the performance it does.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

not that i disagree with you guys but.. PLEASE show me another turbo non stock frame that can make the same powerband im making on my car ? you cant.. i checked. im making 450wtq+ by 4k. the car makes 630whp and 570wtq at night at 38psi. for the power this thing puts out + peak tq curve it cant be touched.. its just like the regular fp black.. the closest thing to it to match the power under the curve + power uptop is the 3582R which has massive lag downlow.. 100wtq+ loss.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

You could sell your stockframe setup and damn near get what you need to get a decent T3 kit.

There is something cool about the stock frame turbo's. Kinda like making a Honda fast. There are other ways to be fast, but there is something undeniably cool about doing something with a platform that "SHOULDN'T" be able to achieve the performance it does.
You are right, you could sell it and get a big chunk but that is a lot of work and you still will need another 1000-2000 depending on setup to get the t3 kit.

Stock frames are straight forward and work well, not much reason to go above the stock frame now adays.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
not that i disagree with you guys but.. PLEASE show me another turbo non stock frame that can make the same powerband im making on my car ? you cant.. i checked. im making 450wtq+ by 4k. the car makes 630whp and 570wtq at night at 38psi. for the power this thing puts out + peak tq curve it cant be touched.. its just like the regular fp black.. the closest thing to it to match the power under the curve + power uptop is the 3582R which has massive lag downlow.. 100wtq+ loss.
The 5857 from precision comes close i think but I agree with you, which is why many of us stay stock frame
Old Aug 2, 2011, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by murlo26
The 5857 from precision comes close i think but I agree with you, which is why many of us stay stock frame
i put a video on youtube that shows the car going through the gears today if you wanna see how it reacts.. its a blast to drive. during the day it makes around 580whp and 520wtq~ then at night it will run around 630/570.. at night it just feels crazy. throws you back so hard it feels like the cars taking you for a ride.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
You are right, you could sell it and get a big chunk but that is a lot of work and you still will need another 1000-2000 depending on setup to get the t3 kit.

Stock frames are straight forward and work well, not much reason to go above the stock frame now a days.
I agree to a point. I think if you are just getting the turbo and staying with the OEM exh manifold (or get it ported) then it makes sense.

I do get what you're saying about lag. I don't have much experience with bigger frame turbo's yet but I did have a few different stock frame turbos (plus running E85 on my stock IX turbo). After this go round I will post personal impressions on both types of turbo.

Either way like i said, good going Tom I'm sure you will continue to test the BB FP Black limits.

Quick Reply: FP Black Ball Bearing tested - documentary results inside.