Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo9 stock turbo dynojet vs vdr

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldnt you also think some of the power difference could be due to the fact that a car on a dyno has SIGNIFICANTLY less airflow over the car and to the intercooler and radiators allowing it to be down on power compared to up to 130mph speed if VD was run in 4th gear? Even in 3rd you end up at 90 or so at the end which will help IC and radiator efficiency alot especially on hot days.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem here is that you are using software that is made to replicate the dyno - not the other way around. Going to the dyno and then inputting numbers until it matches the dyno seems silly. If you are going to do that why even go to the dyno? The dyno is a tool for tuning a car - not for bragging on the internet.

If the VDR was more precise, we'd all sell our dynos and go back to street tuning circa 2004. Sometimes it can be accurate - but its all about precision - without repeatability how can you trust what you're looking at? The dynomometer as a tool offers us both accuracy and precision.

We dont have to prove the dynos true - they do what they're made to do and thats it... I dont understand why people question the tool thats meant for the job - over the software meant to replicate the tool.

I doubt the software was made with the intent to replace a dyno with a fella ripping @ 120 down the interstate.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Your right a Dyno is a tool and so is those software. I am a fan of Dynojet but since PSI is the closest to me and I have been there using the Dyno for an entire day you don't need to have an attitude with me. However it is not worth it to me on a regular basis to drive 2hours each way and pay hundreds of dollars when VD is free and just as accurate in my mind as any Mustang Dyno. I understand how it all works and since a Dynojet is repeatable it is possible to replicate the results using math. I am just saying why a car in general can make more power on the street and may have a different result even is VD was 100% accurate beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

OP, where did you find a dynojet nearby? Was it in PA?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

PSIproformance in Lansdale PA. I guess smelly is an employee and a bad representative of the company. He should keep his mouth shut. The only posts he has on here are to attack people and VD which was given free to the community and is a great asset.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by batty200
Your right a Dyno is a tool and so is those software. I am a fan of Dynojet but since PSI is the closest to me and I have been there using the Dyno for an entire day you don't need to have an attitude with me. However it is not worth it to me on a regular basis to drive 2hours each way and pay hundreds of dollars when VD is free and just as accurate in my mind as any Mustang Dyno. I understand how it all works and since a Dynojet is repeatable it is possible to replicate the results using math. I am just saying why a car in general can make more power on the street and may have a different result even is VD was 100% accurate beyond a shadow of a doubt.
I didnt post directed towards you - or anyone - I just see the argument that the software made to replicate the dynos output could be correct, but different from an actual dyno.

For testing purposes the software can be cool - but there is too much error involved to use it to dial a car in.

I wasnt rude - and i didnt call anyone out at all. I stated facts that you agreed with.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Road in question that was used for the graphs tcomp posted for me and the one that was taken in my first post. Flat and level.

Now tcomp's latest version of this software was pretty darn close ill give it that. But every version before that has been min. 20hp+ off.

Just stating and sharing my findings as you have as well mt057. No reason to get butt hurt.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mxguy1286
Road in question that was used for the graphs tcomp posted for me and the one that was taken in my first post. Flat and level.

Now tcomp's latest version of this software was pretty darn close ill give it that. But every version before that has been min. 20hp+ off.

Just stating and sharing my findings as you have as well mt057. No reason to get butt hurt.
I did not mean to come off as butt hurt. I am just still salty from the last time attacks were made. The road that you have posted sure as hell is flat. There is no arguing with that.

I also just noticed that you were using an old version. One with which I had issues I brought up in the VD thread.

I think that there are better ways about doing things though like maybe sending your results, mod list (including tire size) and datalog to Brad so that he can look over it. That way maybe the program could be made better.

Did you find precision between the runs although they were inflated.

I simply use VD for a reference while tuning. Not for bragging. Dyno's should not be used that way although they commonly are. Any dyno can have the numbers fudged. I normally don't even look at dyno threads using VD anymore. I am now sorry that I even stepped in to this one.

Last edited by mt057; Jul 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mxguy1286

That road is perfect. doesn't get any better then that. Please post my VD pic in your main thread if you want to do a true comparison and i will also send over that version of virtual dyno so you can use it if you ever need to for any of your customers if you need to.

Ive been tuning with vd now for awhile and it works well for me.. as long as the cars driven on the same strip of road you can use it like a real dyno and find your curves and increase timing and watch the curve go up and up.

wont show as much detail as a real dyno, but that should be common sense.. a real dyno is a controlled environment.. street is not.

at the end of the day the most important thing for me is my track MPH.. ive learned that the track never lies and its the ultimate truth.

I am very very cautious about numbers i post these days after what ive experienced with my personal cars numbers.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 5, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

regardless, your car made good power for its mods.. right where it should of .. so good job man.

and that blue color in evo's is sweet.. i am jealous you have mivec.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Blue mivec is super awesome
Old Jul 5, 2012, 09:08 PM

Tom, I am glad to see from the last bought that you have come around to trap speed being accurate for ho number. A dyno is a tool. If you don't mind sending me the beta version of the VD you are using that would be great. I recently purchased a 2G that I am building and will be taking to the dyno soon. I would like to weigh my car with a full tank of gas and me in it and then compare the VD numbers to the dyno numbers to see how close it is. My email is guitar72186@yahoo.com Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 09:11 PM

And I have a 99 ECU in the car so the VD program would work on my 2G
Old Jul 5, 2012, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor

ok no problem.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mt057
Any dyno can have the numbers fudged. I normally don't even look at dyno threads using VD anymore. I am now sorry that I even stepped in to this one.
Not trying to argue, but you cant really fudge dynojet numbers.

Quick Reply: evo9 stock turbo dynojet vs vdr