Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Sheepey Inc. tubular exhaust manifold Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheepey Inc. tubular exhaust manifold Dyno results

Hey whats up guys and gals... I recently installed my Sheepey Inc. stock frame tubular exhaust manifold on my Evo 8 RS (Mod list listed below). So here are some before and after results w/ NO adjustments done to the tune yet...Im hoping to adjust the tune here soon and post those results up as well since you can see that by just throwing the manifold on we gained 46whp and 30lbs/tq I really think once the tune is slightly adjusted the gains will be even larger! Time for some pics... Enjoy.....

-Mod list.....
Evo 8 stock block (120k miles)
EF2.5 turbo (non ported)
Sheepey inc. stock frame tubular manifold
GSC S1 cams
Stock intake manifold & throttle body
ETS LICP v2
XS Engineering IC
Sheepey inc. UICP
Tial 50mm BOV
ACT clutch
Greddy 3" turboback exhaust
Titek O2 housing
3" SD intake
Bosch EV14 1200cc injectors
Buschur double pumper
3port boost controller
TScomp e85 tuned

-Stock exhaust manifold vs Sheepey Inc. stock frame manifold-

Last edited by louiesevox; Nov 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Wow so nearly 40 hp that's considerable. However what are the average gains with a ported stock exhaust mani to see whether that 40hp is worth 800 bucks
Old Nov 7, 2013, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Correction 950 accordibg to their site
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

I was eyeing out the map short runners stock replacement manifold. Saving up for it now, but no reviews on it as of yet. Can you compare them?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
A/F ratio, spool, and of course top end, are quiet different.
Maybe a better comparison would be to optimize on both, and test, same boost level, but timing and fueling optimized, to really see the effect.
Was this test on same dyno, the same day, without any adjustments to the dyno as well as no adjustments to car?
The car with header is leaner- which will give more power. Not sure that header can lean out the A/F, perhaps, but I would consider this important factor in the comparison, and the A/F ratio difference follows the power output difference...
No conclusion here, but to make a more controlled test should be performed
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
That exhaust manifold looks very high quality.

I will be cleaning the tune up with the tubular manifold shortly and will make sure the pulls are done on a level surface for the best accuracy possible.

alpinaturbo: i can richen the tubular manifold and we can see if its the AFR doing that or not. sometimes cars don't make more power when you lean them out past a certain AFR, and sometimes they do. but there's always a certain AFR level that once you hit if you keep leaning it out the gains are minimal if non existent at all.

I'm glad you shared it as is untouched Louie for 100% back to back with no touching. The Leaner AFR also indicates the tubular is out flowing the other manifold quite a lot (granted weather didnt play a roll in the afr).
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
What you see at 7K should be taken serious. anything past 7K looks caused by road bumps. We will get some more accurate graphs up shortly after i make some adjustments with the tubular manifold.

For others that are not aware, this is Riley's old car. This is the first car that tested the EF 2.5.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 05:33 AM

Thank you for such a good test!! I personally love the design of the Sheepey manifolds especially the fact the #1 runner isn't next to the radiator inlet like most others including the expensive manifolds.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a great looking manifold, I like the design
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rjfg
Wow so nearly 40 hp that's considerable. However what are the average gains with a ported stock exhaust mani to see whether that 40hp is worth 800 bucks
Originally Posted by rjfg
Correction 950 accordibg to their site
I'm sure there's lots of testing and or Dyno graphs in here of OEM ported exhaust manifolds to show the difference since I wouldn't have that info for you, sorry

I think this manifold is competively priced compared to other stock frame tubular manifolds of its quality and gains.... At the end of the day i think its really up to the owners preference and power goals tho

As for myself... I only use quality parts in any of my builds and I like alot of powah so I couldn't pass up one of these bad boys
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
That exhaust manifold looks very high quality.

I will be cleaning the tune up with the tubular manifold shortly and will make sure the pulls are done on a level surface for the best accuracy possible.

alpinaturbo: i can richen the tubular manifold and we can see if its the AFR doing that or not. sometimes cars don't make more power when you lean them out past a certain AFR, and sometimes they do. but there's always a certain AFR level that once you hit if you keep leaning it out the gains are minimal if non existent at all.

I'm glad you shared it as is untouched Louie for 100% back to back with no touching. The Leaner AFR also indicates the tubular is out flowing the other manifold quite a lot (granted weather didnt play a roll in the afr).
Thank you sir.! Yeah i posted it in hopes of giving the community a good amount of info to show what this manifold can really do w/ and w/o adjustments made to the tune... I can't wait to see what this manifold can do w/ your adjustments tho
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1slow93turbo
Thank you for such a good test!! I personally love the design of the Sheepey manifolds especially the fact the #1 runner isn't next to the radiator inlet like most others including the expensive manifolds.
Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
That's a great looking manifold, I like the design
Thanks guys

I couldn't be happier w/ the way it came out.... The guys over at Sheepey Inc really did do a great job
Old Nov 9, 2013, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am hoping they develop a forward facing manifold soon
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:44 AM

this manifold looks really good, cant wait for Tom to do his adjustments to see an all out comparison.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
there has been an awefull lot of stock manifolds tested over the years. buschur alone tested like 6 back to back same engine. (best gain 12hp) none came close to these results. all have been in the 5-20hp range. with many of those tests likely snake oil claims. I would say you will not see anywhere near 46hp gains from just replacing manifold.

Quick Reply: Sheepey Inc. tubular exhaust manifold Dyno results