Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Brett's Evo 8 2.3L 6266 Gen2 FiTronic powered E15-75

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Brett's Evo 8 2.3L 6266 Gen2 FiTronic powered E15-75

I wanted to share this build we just finished at the shop. As most of you already know, we now offer a
fully functional Flex Fuel system for the Stock ECU.

We received this vehicle with a failed timing belt, in non running condition with the oil pump sprocket split in half upon further inspection.
We just finished the tuning and the vehicles now fully back to 100% full health with many new replaced parts.

Most of the picture gallery can be seen here on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7302897&type=3

This car is equip with our 2.3L Billet engine assembly which consists of:

Manley Turbo Tuff Billet Crank (100mm)
Manley Turbo Tuff I-beam rods (150mm)
Wiseco HD 1400 series pistons (9.1 compression)
ARP Hardware throughout, ACL Race bearings throughout.

----------------------------

We did a simple wire tuck, trunk battery relocation, modded both walbro fuel pumps, replaced both walbro filters, reran the fuel line hose
more efficiently, replaced worm clamps with fuel hose clamps, replaced hoses damaged from improperly used worm clamps,
fixed all boost leaks, replaced various hardware throughout the engine bay, plumbed the FiTRONIC flex fuel sensor inline with
the return line, all new timing components, new intercooler piping, new cams, valvetrain, alternator, engine internals, clutch upgrade + much much more.

We pretty much replaced every part on this vehicle to bring it back to 100% full health again.

----------------------------

Now onto the FiTRONIC (Flex Fuel System for the stock ECU) -

This system is simply amazing. I wasn't quit sure how it would be in person tuning, but it went above and beyond my expectations.
It works so well that im going to put it in my personal Evo as soon as I get some free time to do so. It is incredible.

You can go from 14-15% ethanol content, which is what our local gas station uses, to 60% and pickup 150whp without touching the ECU.
The car self adjusts everything based on the blender tables, and it does an amazing job. The AFR stays dead solid where it should, The
Boost self adjusts as it should, the timing adjusts, and it just works amazing.

We went from 15% ethanol content which was roughly around 570-580whp
Then to 21% ethanol content which was about the same power since the blending tables are on the conservative side
Then to 31% which was around a 30-40whp increase in power
Then to 41% which yielded around 630whp roughly
Then to 51% which yielded roughly 680WHP since we have set the blender a little higher around this ethanol content level.
We then stopped at 61% ethanol content level which yielded 720WHP very conservatively.

The vehicle on a full 75% Ethanol content blend produces roughly 791whp at a conservative 37.65psi of boost pressure. (75% IDC @ 11.8-12.1 AFR)

The system worked amazing. After seeing how the blending went, we were at about a quarter tank of fuel with 61% ethanol content.
We went back to the gas station, kept the vehicle idling, and filled it up fully with 93oct. The ethanol content quickly dropped down to
around 20%~ roughly. From the gas station we did a pull to the shop, and the vehicle went from 720WHP to around 580WHP without us
touching anything, zero knock, very safe afr, very safe timing, and in general the system just works amazing.

I recommend this system to anyone who wants to be able to just enjoy their car, not have to worry about where to go to get E85, or just doesn't
want to deal with the fuel consumption that comes with a 70%+ ethanol content blend.

The system is also much safer then just a regular single map E85 tune. If you get some kind of low percentage of ethanol content at your pump,
theres absolutely nothing to worry about, the ECU adjusts timing and afr and boost based on the content the sensor picks up.

I'll be honest, I was always very skeptical about Flex fuel systems and some of my customers know this, because I've told them when they asked me,
but after seeing it in person first hand I am now 100% a firm believer and can confidently recommend this system to any and ALL my customers with
complete confidence.

I am very excited to get this running in my evo. Most do not realize this, but even a 40% ethanol content blend makes a night and day difference. You can
make a lot of power with a 50% blend. So much that most people would be very surprised. This car we had the blenders conservative as mentioned above,
but 61% put down 720WHP as mentioned above.

We never went past 38psi on this particular vehicle due to the owners request in not wanting to go all out, but I believe from my personal experience that
this particular evo and setup in general is capable of 900WHP. The 6266 Gen2 may not be the quickest responding turbo or quickest spooling in its class
range, but it has amazing pull to it, and top end.

Keep in mind this car has a stock unported head, stock TB, stock intake manifold and still is extracting almost 800WHP with just 38psi. The car is extremely efficient.

Now after reading all this, here is the mod list of the vehicle:

TSComptuned 2.3L (Manley Billet crank, Manley Turbo Tuff I-beam rods, Wiseco HD 1400 9.1 pistons)
TSComptuned Cyl head (Unported, supertech valves, GSC beehive stage 3 springs/retainers)
TSComptuned 4" SD intake pipe (open turbo inlet during tuning, no intake or filter)
Precision 6266 Gen2 Ball Bearing turbo (.82 AR / vband outlet)
GSC S3 Billet cams
ETS T3 Singlescroll Turbo kit .82 AR /w 44mm Tial WGA
ETS downpipe & o2 housing
ETS Lower intercooler piping
Muse upper intercooler piping
MAP Ported stock intake manifold
MAP Ported stock throttlebody (65mm)
Dual Walbro 255 fuel pump /w both pumps modded
FIC 2150cc injectors
AMS Race FMIC 3.5"
Grimmspeed 3 port inline /w Hallman Pro MBC
Spoolinup Coil on plug ignition (non cdi)
Exedy Triple HD clutch
FiTronic Flex Fuel system /w hybrid boost (inline dual stage boost control)

I am happy for the owner Brett to get his Evo back after a long wait. We have sorted out every bug the vehicle could basically give us.
Brett will receive his Evo back in 100% full health, bug free, and will give him years of fun from here on out. The vehicle was thoroughly
detailed, cleaned, and returning to the customer in better condition then it came to us with a fresh oil change of brad penn 20W50 /w
amsoil filter, and new fluids throughout.

I would like to note Brett is an active Military Army Ranger, which is one of the most elite forces you can become in the military, so its a pleasure
to be able to provide someone of his stature our services and for him to experience a reliable running car and not have to worry about any issues.
Thanks Brett for your service & your business and hope you enjoy your car as much as we enjoyed tuning it and building it for you!

Below are pictures and graphs showing what ethanol content levels have done what: (Outside temps vary in some conditions):

(All pulls done in 3rd gear- stock final drive 5 speed trans)

Hope you guys enjoy all the pics. If there's any questions feel free to ask.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much does it cost to go the flex fuel route minus the tune?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome setup. I've been considering going with this flex fuel setup for a long time. Around my house I always have E85 but there are drives I like to take that I can't fill up with E85 along the way. The algorithm for scaling between ethanol content within the range seems to work great.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Have you ever tried the 2.2slr rotating assembly from English? They'll sell you rods/pistons/crank and you can take that big turbo to 9k+ for a much longer powerband.

Good to see a builder tightening rod bolts to the specified stretch, as opposed to a torque value. Best way to do it.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
ll write a review at a later date once I get to drive the car. But let me tell you Tom is a perfectionist and does things right no shortcuts and has fantastic results, I'm blown away and its VERY conservative! I am the original owner on the car used to be my DD but now its just a fun weekend car so it naturally had some wear and tear. Everything Tom came across he told me, sent pictures and fixed/replaced. The build took some time but I didn't want any detail overlooked and the more he dug the more he found. So if your looking for someone to do work and tune your car he is who I wish was around 10 years ago. I've been around the block with my fair share of reputable shops/tuners but hands down no contest to the caliber of service Tom offers.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo11V
ll write a review at a later date once I get to drive the car. But let me tell you Tom is a perfectionist and does things right no shortcuts and has fantastic results, I'm blown away and its VERY conservative! I am the original owner on the car used to be my DD but now its just a fun weekend car so it naturally had some wear and tear. Everything Tom came across he told me, sent pictures and fixed/replaced. The build took some time but I didn't want any detail overlooked and the more he dug the more he found. So if your looking for someone to do work and tune your car he is who I wish was around 10 years ago. I've been around the block with my fair share of reputable shops/tuners but hands down no contest to the caliber of service Tom offers.
Brett I glad to see you are getting your car back, enjoy it and second of all now that your car is complete theres one more in front of me before Tom gets to mine.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome setup and nice write up!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Amazing! Awesome Tom!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 01:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
How much does it cost to go the flex fuel route minus the tune?
About $600. For the tuning an additional $500.

Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
Awesome setup. I've been considering going with this flex fuel setup for a long time. Around my house I always have E85 but there are drives I like to take that I can't fill up with E85 along the way. The algorithm for scaling between ethanol content within the range seems to work great.
I am thoroughly impressed how well the AFR stayed consistent going from e15 to e75. It was extremely on point, and the way it blends works great.

I'll be installing it on my evo soon.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Have you ever tried the 2.2slr rotating assembly from English? They'll sell you rods/pistons/crank and you can take that big turbo to 9k+ for a much longer powerband.

Good to see a builder tightening rod bolts to the specified stretch, as opposed to a torque value. Best way to do it.
All this car needs is a 4.11 final drive and it will be 100%. It will get that done in the near future. All pulls in the graphs were done in 3rd, and this setup would be best showcased with 4th gear pulls since its a stock final drive transmission.

I've already built some 2.2's. We use the same company they do for rods. We have a custom rod from R&R in 153mm & 159mm.

I usually run the Billet manley cranks with all my engines. We had no failures yet, and I use the billet crank in my personal evo also that can produce 700wtq+

Here are the two 2.2's we did for other customers. ones a long rod and the others the standard 153mm one.

The 159mm is for the 4g64. The different from the 153mm rod and 159 is the 6mm taller deck height of the 4g64.

I have a 2.2 at the shop actually boxed up, the 153mm rod version. It is for sale right now, but im not going out of my way to sell it really.

Heres the long rod 2.2 that ill be tuning soon. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7302897&type=3

Heres the 4g63 version 2.2 with 153mm rods: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7302897&type=3

I still prefer the 2.3 over any other displacement for a street car.

The 2.4 in my evo has been amazing as well. I daily drive that with 750whp and its holding up great.

Originally Posted by Evo11V
Thanks Brett for the early review! I hope you enjoy the new setup. It is very fast and fun. It will take you a little bit to get used to the spool im sure on the stock final drive, but once you get the 4.11 in there it will load the car up and it will become much snappier on spool/response.

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Brett I glad to see you are getting your car back, enjoy it and second of all now that your car is complete theres one more in front of me before Tom gets to mine.
Hey John Yours is next after 5leeper/Steves! Steve's will be tuned and completed before the week is over. Were just working out the last remainder kinks/bugs it has.

Originally Posted by azboost92
Awesome setup and nice write up!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Amazing! Awesome Tom!
Thanks Oz!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 01:13 AM
Former Sponsor

We are last minute pulling the transmission off this car and sending it to Shep for the 4.11 final drive modification.

The trans will be shipped today or tomorrow and from there they will modify it and I will get to share a before and after (stock FD vs 4.11 FD).

I've never seen a before and after of this before, so it should be very cool and educational for other members with similar setups that want more response out of their builds.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome work on this car as well as all your others! You will be tuning my car in the future.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tscompusa
We are last minute pulling the transmission off this car and sending it to Shep for the 4.11 final drive modification.

The trans will be shipped today or tomorrow and from there they will modify it and I will get to share a before and after (stock FD vs 4.11 FD).

I've never seen a before and after of this before, so it should be very cool and educational for other members with similar setups that want more response out of their builds.
I forgot post my boost threshold results for you from when I went back to my stock final drive. I'll try to get some in the next week for you. Going by feel, it didn't change much, if at all. It's also been much cooler ambient temps though.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I forgot post my boost threshold results for you from when I went back to my stock final drive. I'll try to get some in the next week for you. Going by feel, it didn't change much, if at all. It's also been much cooler ambient temps though.
The difference is probably less noticeable on a quicker spooling setup. Would be cool to see a comparison of the difference on this car and the difference on your car. Too bad it cooled down and you can't really get comparable data now.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
The difference is probably less noticeable on a quicker spooling setup. Would be cool to see a comparison of the difference on this car and the difference on your car. Too bad it cooled down and you can't really get comparable data now.
As empirical data, I fixed a boost leak that must have developed shortly before Aaron finished up my tune. After fixing this boost leak, I saw 35psi at 4200rpm . Then my tcase **** the bed. So that should be back from Shep hopefully Friday if they can turn it around in one day for me. Then it'll be 500 miles before I can go test the car..
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

The difference will be drastic with this setup due to its spool as is. It is really going to wake this car up in 3rd gear.

I have an evo at the shop with 9,700 original miles right now (Its actually sheps old red evo), it has our engine, sheps 4.11 FD trans, a 3586R, and the way that 2.0L loads the 3586R up in 3rd vs this car is a perfect example how important a longer gear is for spool and response.

A lot of people don't realize how important gearing is vs power when it comes to making these cars perform properly. Most didn't even mess with final drives back in the day with these cars, and the ones who did had faster Evo's then everyone else.

Transmission is all boxed up and will be picked up tomorrow afternoon.

Quick Reply: Brett's Evo 8 2.3L 6266 Gen2 FiTronic powered E15-75