Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Strange fuel issue - looking for ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gturbo
Its alot better advice and way cheaper than

A. your advice so far
and
B. dual hanger, 2 walbros, hobb switch surge tank etc

Being that you evo guys are so cheap Im wondering why you guys dont jump on the new pumps
You're advice is worthless, it always is. It's possible that one of the filters is clogged/incorrectly seated. We all know how cheap you are, I remember the whole thing with Spec Ops and your run down POS. On top of that you are a wanna be internet hardass
Old Apr 18, 2016, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
put a fuel gauge on your car & verify FP.

I experienced an issue when making the hose clamp too tight holding the 2 fuel pumps together.

I loosened the clamp up & the 2nd pump started working as intended.

GL
Old Apr 20, 2016, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for agreeing with me Aby... need to know what fuel pressure is doing!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Heres your fix $112 **** can those 255's buy a single stealth pump on sale from extreme psi make sure you do the rewire and your good for 780hp with a single pump.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...fuel-pump.html
I feel like you live in a world where actual data and experience doesn't exist, that is the only world where a single aero pump can support 780hp and Walboros are trash.

Do you have a keyword search setup for Walboro so you can just give the same canned response, that goes against decade plus years of experience?

For the OP: I agree with the others above, you need to figure out what fuel pressure is doing.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
You're advice is worthless, it always is. It's possible that one of the filters is clogged/incorrectly seated. We all know how cheap you are, I remember the whole thing with Spec Ops and your run down POS. On top of that you are a wanna be internet hardass
I would have to agree.
I've been doing some research.... Not good on his end. Im going to guess he owned a subaru and then made the switch. His attitude reflects this.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 03:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by lude2evo
Second pump not coming on? Shouldn't run out of fuel until 750~ with that setup
A single walbro 255 modded on E70-E85 is done at around 460-470WHP dynojet with a respectable tune with safety.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 03:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
put a fuel gauge on your car & verify FP.

I experienced an issue when making the hose clamp too tight holding the 2 fuel pumps together.

I loosened the clamp up & the 2nd pump started working as intended.

GL
Are you referring to the worm clamp that holds the two pumps together? I've heard of that before as well, but never experienced it. The worm clamp is only there to just snug the pumps together so they have a little bit more support.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 03:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Because a 340lph pump won't make 780whp on E85..
Ya 780WHP on E85 is absurd. Even a 450LPH walbro is finished around 700WHP on -10 lines.

3Gturbo don't take offense to my response, but on stock wiring a aeromotive 340 vs a modified / pushed in relief valve on a walbro 255 the flow is almost identical.

I did decent testing on fuel pumps and shared all data here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e8...ts-inside.html
Old Apr 21, 2016, 03:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Also This cars at my shop.

I did the following so far to troubleshoot it:

We swapped map sensors.
We put in a fresh wideband o2 sensor
We put in fresh pumps and filters
The vehicle had an unprofessional weird fuel hose routing upfront, so i deleted all that for a straight -6.
I switched the stock feed as the new return. (recently I changed this back to the stock feed again to log data.
We re-routed the pressure switch with new wiring & new pressure switch
I unhooked the inline fuel filter and did a 'blow through' test. It seemed fine. I compared it to a brand new kinsler filter we had from another kit and it was identical in pressure.

While the blow through test may not be 100%, it gave me an idea what was going on. We will swap the filter out as well.

The injectors (ID2000) are brand new and hard wired. I will go over the wiring system once again, but the vehicle drives like stock and is perfect, except until it reaches very high RPM with high boost.

If I lower the boost, The issue goes away.

Injector duty cycle is healthy in the 60's.

Alternator is producing 13.5-14 volts at high RPM. Again healthy

Fuel has been added into the fuel map as a 'blanket' to troubleshoot the issue, it simply does not respond to that.

Any further testing we do to the car from here on is at lower boost pressure, where we see the car travel from 11's to mid 12's so it doesn't touch 13 and beyond anymore, since that's not safe territory for the engine.

I also blew out the lines to make sure there was no debri as well.

I have not attached a fuel pressure gauge to the rail yet, ill do that next.

We also bypassed the flex sensor just to see if it was obstructing flow at all, and it was not. We kind of knew it wasn't before we did the test though. Upon disconnecting it, it was clear it is more then free flowing for even 1000WHP+ cars.

I also just to clear my concious started with a fresh rom non FiTRONIC related and same result occured. We also bypassed using the fuel temp sensor and used what was already installed a GM IAT and that had no affect.

So we already trouble shooted a lot of the cars setup so far. I'll connect a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and see what we have going on. It definitely has to be either a voltage issue at the pumps or injectors malfunctioning somehow at higher RPM only, or fuel pressure somehow dropping.

We also swapped a different FPR on as well.

Pretty much everything there is to do we did.

I appreciate help though. If anyone else has suggestions on things that were not mentioned or I didn't check yet feel free to mention them!

I just had another Evo at the shop that had bugs, and I worked that car out 100%.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

External fuel pressure gauge coming out of the hood near the windshield. Watch what happens when you get to higher RPM. The pressure will tell the story.

Also, Ive seen pumps push gas at the pump outlet hose. So in higher rpms you lose pressure. Lower RPMs your fine.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Were switching the injectors out first for a set of FIC since I want to get these off his car. This is the second car now that had bad ID's. The white Evo had a brand new set of ID 2000 and they were bad right out of the packaging. Thankfully the place that sold them returned them without an issue. It seems to be hit or miss, I do a lot of evo with ID without issues, then we get some that have issues.

If injectors don't fix it I'll check the pressure, but that wont tell me the issue. It can show up in the pressure as it most likely will, but a weak pump can trigger that pressure issue if you get what I'm saying.

So its kind of going to be already telling us there's a pressure issue when we already know one exists (at least 99% sure, but of course we need to be 100% sure to responsibility diagnose).

Bosch 2200cc inj have a non stainless internal housing, so if moisture gets anywhere near them they can rust and lock up. Both ID2k and FIC 2150 are prone to this if not taken certain steps.

I've had FIC 2150 on my evo for roughly 6-7 years and never had an issue with them, but they always stay in my car and were never stored outside the plenum for the most part.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

A more accurate statement is: knowing the pressure will lead you in the right direction. (I call it checking the box) If your pressure is good then it limits the amount of things you get to test.

Its very odd to say, but it sounds like its the injectors.

Keep us updated.
The following users liked this post:
tscompusa (Apr 23, 2016)
Old Apr 23, 2016, 03:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes correct. Checking the box is a must do when diagnosing something

I will update the thread once I find the culprit so everyone knows the cause.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
A single walbro 255 modded on E70-E85 is done at around 460-470WHP dynojet with a respectable tune with safety.
I meant 750 with both pumps kicking. I maxed out my br double pumper at 740 with stock fuel lines, rail and regulator
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its alot better advice and way cheaper than

A. your advice so far
and
B. dual hanger, 2 walbros, hobb switch surge tank etc

Being that you evo guys are so cheap Im wondering why you guys dont jump on the new pumps

I dont understand the "evo guys are so cheap" reference?
My transmission is worth as much as a 3G

Quick Reply: Strange fuel issue - looking for ideas