Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Cerevo's 2.0 HTA71 GSC S2 budget build 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This is the best ones so far. Thinking I need to free up the exhaust side some and get an O2 dump. Try that out and see if we can get that torque number up a whole lot.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
why does boost look erratic

I ran 71 and was able to get 30 psi by 3600-3800 rpm

but 2.2
Old May 2, 2017, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

It's not a final graph. Still a lot of fine tuning to be done.
Old May 2, 2017, 06:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Boos curve looks fine for smoothing 3 on the graph. 3 ports don't generally have a perfectly smooth boost curve like an MBC because they cycle.
Old May 2, 2017, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking my O2 housing (Megan) and having a ported head might be keeping me from getting that giant torque curve I was wanting.
I'm probably going to yank the hotside off and port it to try to gain some power. As well as get an O2 dump. Hopefully that will get me well over the 400 trq and hp on cold days at least.

That green line was like 55* out that morning so it was making great power. The other were something like 70s
Old Jun 7, 2017, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by cerevo
I'm thinking my O2 housing (Megan) and having a ported head might be keeping me from getting that giant torque curve I was wanting.
I'm probably going to yank the hotside off and port it to try to gain some power. As well as get an O2 dump. Hopefully that will get me well over the 400 trq and hp on cold days at least.

That green line was like 55* out that morning so it was making great power. The other were something like 70s
Why is your boost cutting out early around 3600 rpm. It looks like it's set to 24 psi there.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well, after a good year of fun with this car I finally bought some bits to hog the hotside out, I got a muse o2 dump but I'm thinking it may need to get recirculated or dumped out the hood. I can't decide if I want to be obnoxious or stealthy.
​​​​​​I found a good deal on a 73hta that I really want to ****** up but im worried the up top won't make up for the spool, and I still won't be at the huge torque I really wanted in the beginning.. Which I'm a little more ok with these days since I've had some close runs with mustangs and other cars that more power up top would have let me walk the easily. That seems to be more of what I do with the car than I first thought. So the down low power, while fun, doesn't serve my purposes anymore. I think I'm ready to step up to a bigger turbo, which would go with my ported head better.
The ported head could be causing me to have the lower torque too though, I have my Evo 4 head I've considered having cleaned and decked and swapping out to see how that changes things.
I would really like to go e85 but I'm on and aem v1.. The Infinity is expensive but if I went e85 I want an ethanol sensor and the best logging I can get plus a system I somewhat am familiar with is a big selling point. I had actually bought an aquamist meth controller but it was going to take like 6 weeks to process so I canceled it and bought another 240sx to daily haha. Sold the miata recently so I've got a little over a grand to play with for this car from that.

Tldr;
  • Im indecisive, may swap heads to a nonported stock head and see how it goes.
  • Going to port the hot side some and see if I can push more air to bump the numbers up.
  • Still get some cutting out at peak torque if I push it to 26 or higher psi and don't gain any power really.
  • Mustangs and wrxs giving me grief lol
  • Hood dump or recirc the O2?
  • Meth?
  • Check out my new daily:

​​

OH and here's the last time I do this ever again. Large chunk of ice blasted the front lip off going to get lunch one day when it snowed 6 or 7 inches

Last edited by cerevo; Jun 8, 2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 06:01 PM
WOT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have fun with the project
Old Jun 30, 2018, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cerevo
Well, after a good year of fun with this car I finally bought some bits to hog the hotside out, I got a muse o2 dump but I'm thinking it may need to get recirculated or dumped out the hood. I can't decide if I want to be obnoxious or stealthy.
​​​​​​I found a good deal on a 73hta that I really want to ****** up but im worried the up top won't make up for the spool, and I still won't be at the huge torque I really wanted in the beginning.. Which I'm a little more ok with these days since I've had some close runs with mustangs and other cars that more power up top would have let me walk the easily. That seems to be more of what I do with the car than I first thought. So the down low power, while fun, doesn't serve my purposes anymore. I think I'm ready to step up to a bigger turbo, which would go with my ported head better.
The ported head could be causing me to have the lower torque too though, I have my Evo 4 head I've considered having cleaned and decked and swapping out to see how that changes things.
I would really like to go e85 but I'm on and aem v1.. The Infinity is expensive but if I went e85 I want an ethanol sensor and the best logging I can get plus a system I somewhat am familiar with is a big selling point. I had actually bought an aquamist meth controller but it was going to take like 6 weeks to process so I canceled it and bought another 240sx to daily haha. Sold the miata recently so I've got a little over a grand to play with for this car from that.

Tldr;
  • Im indecisive, may swap heads to a nonported stock head and see how it goes.
  • Going to port the hot side some and see if I can push more air to bump the numbers up.
  • Still get some cutting out at peak torque if I push it to 26 or higher psi and don't gain any power really.
  • Mustangs and wrxs giving me grief lol
  • Hood dump or recirc the O2?
  • Meth?
  • Check out my new daily:

​​

OH and here's the last time I do this ever again. Large chunk of ice blasted the front lip off going to get lunch one day when it snowed 6 or 7 inches
Thats a pretty sweet daily man congrats!

As far as the O2 housing is concerned leave it the way that it is. Open dumps will help things flow a lot better than recirculating it back into the exhaust. I personally aren't a huge fan of hood dumps. To me I like the sleeper look. You are going to run into flow issues up to with any stock frame turbo you go with. Pretty much as one you choose is gonna run out of juice around 8k rpm. Especially being on a built motor your best bet is going to go with a t3 or t4 setup on the car.

As far as the AEM is concerned try looking for an AEM V2. They do give you the flex fuel options that the v1 lacks. I have the v1 in my car and run it strictly on e85. Ive been considering on going with a v2 so i can have the flex fuel capabilities.

As far as the head I wouldn't touch the ports on it. Believe it or not Mitsubishi hit the hammer on the head when it come down the the heads on these cars. The velocity stacks are designed to give you a good power all around. Porting the head my give you a tad more flow up top but it will sacrifice you went it comes to mid range power.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks man!

I think you might have misunderstood some things. I already have a ported head on my car. I also have an unported head off an Evo 4 I could cleanup and throw on though.
I'm going to stick with stock frame turbos since I've got the FP race manifold and really I've seen 0 evidence that a t3/t4 turbo can spool as good or make as much power as one of the FP offerings. (example, a 3076r might be capable of about 500 on 93 but a red will get real close and out spool it) from what I can tell, and be a lot cheaper.
I need to route the dump out the hood or recirc it because I'm going to make an undertray and don't want to melt it, didn't mention that in my last post but that's the reason I'm changing it up.
If I get a new ecu I'd really rather the latest and greatest and not one that's been out for 10 years like the v2. Plus with the infinity it'd be pretty easy for my to swap it to something else if I ever decided to. Not that I would, but it's also natively setup to run on speed density which I a big fan of. I'm not sure why a turbo car would be setup any other way

Last edited by cerevo; Oct 26, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Did a few things to the Evo over the summer other than just drive the crap out of it. The bilstein from the 9mr finally starting to squeak and I'm not going to be driving the car in weather anymore so I decided I wanted to lower it some, so I found someone selling a good set of user KW V3s for a grand.
Ran into an issue with that. I kept hearing a popping/grinding noise when I turned coming from the right side.. took it all apart and found that the bolts that hold the camber plate to the mounting plate were too long and grinding into the top hat of the strut. So now those are ugly.. Its cool they're aluminum and no one ever sees them so Im not too worried about that I guess.

Plastidipped all of the mesh on the front of the car. In the pics it doesnt really do much for it but in person it looks so much better than it did when all the black paint was coming off of it.
My JDM headlights are starting to show their age and are about to start turning yellowish so I need to polish those this year and start putting the plastic protection on them every month or so.
I think I am going to get a manual boost controller and put it in line with the 3 port and try to level out the boost some. I bought those bits to hog out the hotside and had plans to pull the head off and change it out for the stock head but I've done so much work on the 240 this summer that I haven't really done much to the Evo other than whats in this thread. I really wanted to go to a bigger turbo at some point too but I think that money would be much better spent going to getting the trans rebuilt and getting a stage 1 build on the transfercase and a limited slip front diff. Hopefully that will keep the transfer case from grenading, and the trans rebuild will allow me to make those elusive 3rd gear shifts. Of course that's about $4000 in the future so..

Have since lowered the rear a bit more and raised the front

Kept hearing a grinding popping noise...

That should take care of that ..

Lowered the rear some

Plastidippedover the cruddy looking hood vent

And dipped the grill mesh looks much better than silver/black wearing off

This picture also reminds me how much I need to recover the hood and put off getting the whole front of the car repainted.

Last edited by cerevo; Oct 26, 2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 02:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
A lot of hard work. Great job & look fwd to your updates

Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Be careful porting. Just hogging everything out will likely make flows worse.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 02:02 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Will pastidip hold up to engine temps?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Be careful porting. Just hogging everything out will likely make flows worse.
Yeah, I'm aware. That's the reason I'm going to swap to the stock head but the stock turbine housing is very restrictive and pushing as much air as I am through this thing it generates alot of heat
Originally Posted by kaj
Will pastidip hold up to engine temps?
I haven't had it bubble or peel yet and h drove it pretty hard in some high heat this summer. I'll let you know if it doesnt work out lol

Quick Reply: Cerevo's 2.0 HTA71 GSC S2 budget build 2016