Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

fp red dyno is a bit lazy ( suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Lol at the cnc cut flanges leaking, used the same ones most of the 1200$ manifolds use. I can assure you this manifold would hang with the best of them as far as quality. But I do agree as it is the largest variable being that its not back to back tested against another. The preload is set as per fp tells you to on their site it's about 18psi with zero duity cycle. The ebc works and adjusts boost perfectly. he set the ebc way it is for a reason not because it can't make more boost but because there is a issue and tossing more boost at it when it's already out of its efficiency range does me no good.

I would hate to mess with the preload settings and throw off the duty cycle if that is not the issue. I wonder if I can try to mark it somehow so I can return it to the same point if it has no effect on spool up.

Side note. I got under the car and it looks like my dp is touching my oil pan. I wonder of this contact was causing some phantom knock so that's why he kept the boost down up top. Wish I would have asked more questions when I was there with him.

I appreciate the help guys. I need to log it and do a complete blt and report back!

Last edited by DSMolition; May 30, 2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 29, 2017, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I read the post and first thing I saw was custom manifold.

OEM Manifold is very good for spool up usually with these after market manifold they will pick up power on top end. Would also check my preload or wga.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Found a few small leaks above 25psi Think this would do it?
The following users liked this post:
lancerrally45 (Jun 5, 2017)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Always a good idea to fix them. But they likely aren't having that large of an effect.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Every single system I've tested, if it was good at 25psi, it was good at 40+ psi.
..... Hope you know Im only kidding.

Fix the boost leaks, chances are the dip in your boost curve is due to the leaks. Adding a few more pounds up top would net you some noticeable gains.
Chances are, it wont bump it up to 500hp, but I could foresee a double digit gain in hp. (20-30hp if you can hold 28psi) I would also suggest turning it up a bit more too. Reds really shine at 30-32psi imo.

Last edited by lancerrally45; Jun 5, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 09:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerrally45
..... Hope you know Im only kidding.

Fix the boost leaks, chances are the dip in your boost curve is due to the leaks. Adding a few more pounds up top would net you some noticeable gains.
Chances are, it wont bump it up to 500hp, but I could foresee a double digit gain in hp. (20-30hp if you can hold 28psi) I would also suggest turning it up a bit more too. Reds really shine at 30-32psi imo.
I guess I'm just good at putting couplers and vacuum lines on...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I guess I'm just good at putting couplers and vacuum lines on...
You should start a install business.
A lot of the time its due to an old clamp, that may not look old but doesn't clamp as good as a newer clamp. A small tear here and there. Uneven surfaces, etc.

If you have the car from the beginning there is no excuse. If it was a second third or forth hand, you really start to see peoples "handy work".
Old Jun 10, 2017, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

The dotted lines are a 05 evo with a red and buschur parts just to show how far off my car is at the same boost level. looks to me right when the spool starts lagging behind so does the power. Im sure the issue has to be effecting both power and spool up hand in hand? I'm going to add some pre load and log it to see if that helps the spoolup after a few base runs and im trying to pick up a fp manifold to eliminate that being an issue.. Slow progress as the car is apart doing a roll center kit and resetting up my coiloversn and having no free time.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

How old did you say the turbo was? Was there much for shaft play?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

It has 15k on it and has zero play.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm, what about engine compression?
Also, cams will have a different effect on the dyno graph. Wasn't sure as to the car you are comparing to.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Its all in my pervious post's. Its at 170 + or- 2 across the board witch is great for a 110k never opened engine. Don't know the specifics on the comparison car besides it an 05 evo 8 with buschur bolt on parts and 272's. Mine has about every bolt on to make good power with this turbo. I was told turbos don't really "ware out" they more or less fail. I thought about sending it in to get it looked at to eliminate that possibility but I don't think it would be worth it at this point until I can eliminate everything else.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Weird, I even searched all previous pages for the word "compression" lol. My bad. Ctrl + f has failed me...
Its a weird situation. Looking at the boost curves, I see the large difference you speak of. Honestly its only coming down to the turbo. Your compression checks out. Maybe if he was twin scroll and you were on their new single scroll I could see something like this however you would have gained more up top.
Did you buy this turbo straight from FP? Can you verify what dimension wheels are in it?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I got it used and I haven't had more then the hot side off of it to get it coated. I sent Turbo lab an email seeing if I can send it in for inspection and if they have seen issues like mine with used fp turbos but haven't gotten a reply back. I should send fp an email also.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Austin actually built my gtx3076r. I was speaking to him about FP rebuilds awhile back and he mentioned he see's them often.

If you have a year to waste, I would say go fp.

Quick Reply: fp red dyno is a bit lazy ( suggestions)