Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP 71HTA / S2's / E85 / 459 & 402 @ 24PSI / RRE "Sam" Tuned

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 09:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Keep in mind that if you get pulled over with out of state plates and a ca license they'll impound your car and you'll have to pay a large fine (it is a misdemeanor not a traffic infraction) in addition to having to fix any nonlegal mods.
Please look into the details of registering your car under an LLC

If you get pulled over, you are no longer the owner of the car. The LLC owns it. Youre just driving it

How are they going to impound a car, that does not belong to you, & make it conform to CA law when it is legally registered in Montana?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 09:54 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
How does insurance play into that?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Have already contacted my carrier (Geico). There is no issue w/them having a Montana licensed car, insured by them, driven by me
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Have already contacted my carrier (Geico). There is no issue w/them having a Montana licensed car, insured by them, driven by me
thats awesome.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So are you pulling the trigger on it??
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:36 AM
kaj

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts

If you get pulled over, you are no longer the owner of the car. The LLC owns it. Youre just driving it

How are they going to impound a car, that does not belong to you, & make it conform to CA law when it is legally registered in Montana?
Correct. It's a company car, "leased" to you. That is the #1 reason I was going to do an LLC.

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
My agent told me I'd have to find a policy in the state where the car is registered. However, this was for a non-resident registration. If part of an LLC, INC, or other entity, then I'm not sure if you would insure yourself for the car or if the LLC has to have coverage on the car, which would actually make more sense.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Wicked_X
So are you pulling the trigger on it??
Well, im at the point where i just received my smog cert in Feb 2018. Im sort of preparing. If i have any trouble getting my smog done for Feb 2020 im certainly giving it some serious consideration

The service is $800.00 to get this done
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
Really? Geico told me no way. I have 3 different insurance policies now. Geico for CA cars, Progressive for the Evo (and I had to show proof of residence in AZ) and Hagerty for the Bug (also has AZ plates).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 01:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Really? Geico told me no way. I have 3 different insurance policies now. Geico for CA cars, Progressive for the Evo (and I had to show proof of residence in AZ) and Hagerty for the Bug (also has AZ plates).
I did get a thumbs up from Geico but im second guessing myself now, knowing the car will be an LLC owned vehicle (maybe they would have an issue w/that) Im pretty sure i explained it would be a company owned vehicle. If i were close to doing this, i would certainly go over the details w/them again

In any event, this is a good topic & whatever insight you men find out, please share & i will do the same
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

You might want to read up on the law.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...sect-6700.html

Pay attention to this part:
"This exemption does not apply if the nonresident owner rents, leases, lends, or otherwise furnishes the vehicle to a California resident for regular use on the highways of this state, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 4000.4 ."

Doesn't matter who owns it, if you drive it and get caught you are up **** creek. Impound, fine, back registration, plus fixing the illegal stuff. Not to mention you aren't the legal owner of the car so it'll be a ***** to get it out of impound. Paying a couple hundred a day to impound while you try to find a lawyer to get a document written up that proves you are a legal representative of the LLC. It sucks, a friend went through it. Your front window tint fix it ticket turns into $10k pretty quick depending on how many years of back registration you have to pay and how quick you can get it out of impound.

Feel free to do what you want though.

Last edited by griceiv; Dec 3, 2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
And holy crap. You realize thst progressive is going to get you for fraud when they find out you aren't an az resident, right? Might as well just cancel the insurance and save the money cause they aren't gonna pay anything.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:06 PM
kaj

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
​​"Chill out bro, he's just slinging parts for Harry man"​​​​​​
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
/thread
Old Dec 4, 2018, 06:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hey griceiv

Just exploring the LLC avenue, nothing more (at this point)

Are your 4G63 cams, CAT delete & flash smog legal?

I would imagine if we read the letter of the law, regarding defeating smog systems, the language is likely strong as well
Old Dec 4, 2018, 07:37 AM

(b) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is deemed to be primarily or regularly used on the highways of this state if the vehicle is located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other individual state during the registration period in question.

There is no way one traffic stop is enough to prove this, unless you run your mouth. A string of stops though is going to be a problem.

Quick Reply: FP 71HTA / S2's / E85 / 459 & 402 @ 24PSI / RRE "Sam" Tuned