Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

No tuners around - ECU flash?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Question No tuners around - ECU flash?

Before I start, yes I am a noob with regards to moding my Evo engine, and I have been searching and reading the forums to try to answer these questions but it has still resulted in the need to start this post. I am very capable with a soldering iron (IT Professional) but I do not have experience with tuning an engine. I apologize if I get long winded as I am a detail oriented person.

Car = Stock 2005 Evo 8 with exception of Koyo radiator and ETS 3.5" FMIC that is in route to replace busted OEM. (Due to accident and insurance not covering these OEM parts)
Desire = Daily driver. I don't want to not loose performance but maybe get a little more fun factor out of my car without stressing anything or shortening its' life and get back loss of possible power because of FMIC change.
Summary = No tuning shop nearby so maybe ECU flash? (see below)

After getting the ETS ordered I have read up on the forums and realize that I may be creating some turbo lag and loss of performance due to the larger core FMIC so I have been reading to see what I might be able to do to gain some HP back. Unfortunately, I cannot find a legit import performance shop in Little Rock AR that can do a real AWD dyno tune which from what I read would be a great way to go. The only thing else I have been seeing is maybe I can find someone who could put together an ECU map and send it to me and I flash my car? I do not have the experience to read the values of a scan and tune a car myself but I can run software/hardware.

Assuming I can still find the parts, I think the following post would take care of how I flash my car as I would be using an OpenPort 2.0 (if I can find one) and ecuflash.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-8-9-a.html

1. Am I off base or does a reflash not seem like a viable option since I have no tune shop around?
2. Would a drop in air filter work without the need for a flash and help me at all or would a drop in be something a person would want to create a flash for?
3. Could I go a step further and replace the OEM airbox with a air intake and be able to get a ECU flash sent to me that would fix the MAF sensor issues that could be expected?

Thanks for helping out a noob folks!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Honestly I don’t think you’ll get any noticeable lag especially with the stock turbo. The thicker FMIC will definitely help in keeping it cool.

Back when I first got my evo I did a drop in k&n filter and modded my air box by cutting a hole on the side of the top cover. That with a 2.5” down pipe and 3” catback, raising the boost to 23psi on 93 oct and email tune from Mellon I got 306hp. The dyno I was on supposedly read low so not too sure on dynojet numbers.

These cars respond very well to mods. You have a ton of e-tune options available from Pure Drive Performance, English racing, TSCOMP, Boostin Performance (I think etc.

so so are you stationed at Little Rock?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Good to hear. Yep in Little Rock.

Sounds like a drop in wouldnt need a tune then? I'm still considering setting up the ability to flash my ecu as rumor has it I could get some gain from a stock modified flash.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

you wouldn’t need a tune right away with a drop in at least for right now. But the more mods you start to add it’s best to tune so that everything is working together correctly.

if it were me doing another evo for daily driving and reliability I would just do the drop in again, a high flow cat, a 3” catback and a 3port boost solenoid and the FMIC you just purchased and of course a tune. A simple but solid setup. And if it’s an 8 I would get the evo 9 metal DV

Im stationed at Kirtland AFB.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

If I am keeping the stock internals and exhaust, would a metal evo 9 DV do anything for me at this point? I presume my boost level is still low enough that it wouldn't change anything but it is plastic so I guess it could get worn out???
Old Jan 5, 2019, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well the DVwill help with keeping boost good. The plastic will bleed/leak more then the metal on. Usually more prominent with higher boost like 25 and up
Old Jan 5, 2019, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
buy a 1.3 cable.

load ecuflash and evoscan on a laptop.

pay a tuner (there are many that will etune your car).

they will give you a map and instructions on what to do... a few days later, your car will be tuned.

or, spend hours/days/years researching and figure out how to tune yourself.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

I am trying to find more info on this site regarding the 1.3U cable/kit but it isn't clear and some of their links are broken. Does the 1.3U just connect to my ODBII and the other end is USB for the laptop and then is use the ecuflash and evoscan sofware? The pic shows another white looking plug that I don't understand where it would go? Do I have to run anything else....if not, that is easy.
http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-o...flashing-cable

I presume the "pay a tuner" statement means find someone on the forum that I can give my details and they come up with the map to email me? Remember, I don't have anyone local to trust so I don't have access to a dyno to do it "right".
Old Jan 5, 2019, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Check your PM
Old Jan 5, 2019, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I might have a cable from when I use to have my evo.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by WalkerWakaWaka
I am trying to find more info on this site regarding the 1.3U cable/kit but it isn't clear and some of their links are broken. Does the 1.3U just connect to my ODBII and the other end is USB for the laptop and then is use the ecuflash and evoscan sofware? The pic shows another white looking plug that I don't understand where it would go? Do I have to run anything else....if not, that is easy.

I presume the "pay a tuner" statement means find someone on the forum that I can give my details and they come up with the map to email me? Remember, I don't have anyone local to trust so I don't have access to a dyno to do it "right".
The 1.3U cable connects to the ODB2 port then plugs into your laptop. EvoScan is used to logging. EcuFlash is used to read/write to the ecu. EvoScan is $25(i think) and ECUFlash is free.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

https://evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdi...flashing-cable
Old Jan 7, 2019, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WalkerWakaWaka

your first question... i posted a link
2nd - yes, plug black plug into OBD and the white plug in the one right beside the OBD. that is all
3rd - Yes. Its kinda like this. you pay the money. tell them your mods, they send a map. you load it and then log what they tell you to (first log will be idle). then you send the log back, then they send you the next map... and you do this about 10 times and then you are tuned. Your last couple logs will require 3000rpm WOT to redline... so you will need a safe place to do this.
I have used english racing multiple times with good results. there are others on the forum also.

Old Jan 9, 2019, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
I think I might have a cable from when I use to have my evo.
What are you in these days? You need to get an evo again, your always on this forum
Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm like in the same page here, i have installed: Cosworth 272 cams, MAP behieve springs, ARP head studs, invidia O2 housing, arashi 25g, perrin fuel rail, walbro 255lph with the direct 12v relay full 3" exhaust...
not installed: 1200cc precision ijectors, omni 4 bar map sensor, speed density and aeromitive fpr
so just trying to get a help to understand some issues on ecuflar or a etune