Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Freshly Built FP RED EVO Not Making Power

Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
In your video, what is that air sound kicking up a notch about a second after each gear change? Sounds like some sort of air leak after boost hitting a certain pressure.
On my phone, it's at the -26, -23, and -18 second marks.

It's a GIGANTIC air leak, It's an open dump
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Jun 19, 2019)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Take a look at your ignition coils while you're fixing gap. Matt has adjusted his coil size since his early models. I bought a set around the same time period. He uses much longer coils now. The old ones fit but were a bit too short and lead to some arcing which lead to some corrosion at the plug terminals. They are pretty easy to disassemble and he will provide you with new coils. Start by inspecting the units tho. If your plug terminals are corroded even sightly - discolored in any way - that's a problem. Look down into the coil boot and you should be able to tell if the coil is ok. It may also be corroded or discolored in some way. Either way, you should get in touch with Matt from Spoolinup and ask him about his new coils. Just to be clear,I'm not talking about the "coil" as the entire unit, just the actual ignition coil inside each unit that makes contact with the plug terminal. He used to use short coils, he now uses longer ones, the connection is much more robust, cars runs better. I spent an entire summer chasing mysterious source(s) of knock - I had several pieces in my puzzle and that was one of them. I also closed my gap down to the .022 range like suggested and run nothing but ngk coppers just FYI.

I also utilized a blend of 100 and 93 octane unleaded to rule out false knock. I ended up changing many components, from parts to configurations/routing. I'm mostly cured, but I think I have some noisy components in the head. Many years on stock valvetrain with drop in cams. Anyway hope we've given you some ideas to look into with your ignition
High_PSI (Jun 19, 2019)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
.040 wow. Surprised it made 24lbs without blowout.

I get away with .022 just fine on 30-32 on an HTA 71.

Making sure the gap is uniform is a key as well, I've had some people "gap" their own plugs and had issues with misses while tuning.

After checking the plugs some would be at .030 and some at 0.20. It definitely can mess with some things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Project_Broke:
High_PSI (Jun 19, 2019), Wicked_X (Sep 19, 2019)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a picture of my COP setup. Is it the older or newer revision?

Last edited by High_PSI; Jun 19, 2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Before you worry about your COP setup, you need to correctly gap your plugs to .020".
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
.040, that's insane!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I think the older versions were the ones you couldn't fit the spark plug cover on. The connection to the coil would angle up instead of being parallel so that the cover can fit.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Just to follow up - it would be difficult to determine just from looking at the assembled system to tell. I want to say I bought mine in 2012. I'd be willing to bet you have the short coils. I'll attach some pics for reference.

See the height difference between old and new. Simply put, more coil spring pressure makes a stronger electrical connection. I know it just looks like he stretched the old springs but they fit much more snug as well

If any of your components have this type of appearance below, your ignition system is not optimized. I initially thought it was a design flaw and moisture was finding its way in and causing corrosion, but I shared these images with Matt and he explained how he's moved to a longer coil now and that the corroded appearance was caused by arcing due to less than optimal connection between coil and plug.

You can see the greenish color on the plug terminal and the gunk buildup on the coil. I had a great improvement from switching coils and by reducing gap. As others have stressed that is likely a major player here. However, you owe it to your new setup to freshen up the ignition while you're pulling plugs. If your plug terminals and coils aren't clean then you could use the new coils. Send Matt an email, he will help out
Old Jun 20, 2019, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
Just to follow up - it would be difficult to determine just from looking at the assembled system to tell. I want to say I bought mine in 2012. I'd be willing to bet you have the short coils. I'll attach some pics for reference.

See the height difference between old and new. Simply put, more coil spring pressure makes a stronger electrical connection. I know it just looks like he stretched the old springs but they fit much more snug as well

If any of your components have this type of appearance below, your ignition system is not optimized. I initially thought it was a design flaw and moisture was finding its way in and causing corrosion, but I shared these images with Matt and he explained how he's moved to a longer coil now and that the corroded appearance was caused by arcing due to less than optimal connection between coil and plug.

You can see the greenish color on the plug terminal and the gunk buildup on the coil. I had a great improvement from switching coils and by reducing gap. As others have stressed that is likely a major player here. However, you owe it to your new setup to freshen up the ignition while you're pulling plugs. If your plug terminals and coils aren't clean then you could use the new coils. Send Matt an email, he will help out

Amazing post and something I had not been considering until you pointed this out. I reached out to Matt at Spoolinup and he said to mail back my system for a free checkup which I will. My Unit does indeed fit under teh factory Mitsu Cover which I like FWIW.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Spark plug gap is the main issue here. I'd try that before waiting 1-2 weeks to get the COP back.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Spark plug gap is the main issue here. I'd try that before waiting 1-2 weeks to get the COP back.

Im going to send my injectors out too. Car sat for a year FYI.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

An injector issue would be apparent in setting up the base map. They wouldn't scale to where that injector should normally scale.

When you get everything back, put it back together with the .040" plug gap. See your issue not fixed.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
An injector issue would be apparent in setting up the base map. They wouldn't scale to where that injector should normally scale.

When you get everything back, put it back together with the .040" plug gap. See your issue not fixed.
I totally agree that’s insane for a gap, I don’t think any boosted vehicle would ever run a gap that big., you can have the best ignition system / coils and it would still misfire/ spark blow out.
MinusPrevious (Jun 30, 2019)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

High PSI, I'm going to agree with my friend here. Please let me emphasize that. I hope that message hasn't been lost in the info I provided. I had my plugs gapped properly and still had some issues with knock (not marked by misfires at all btw, so don't think that just because your car may not be missing at that enormous gap, that gap isn't a predominant issue). Please close your gap down. All the theory surrounding larger gap, more spark = more power, is not backed by evidence. It doesn't provide more power, even if you have the upgraded ignition system to push it - at least at this power level, fuel, etc.

However, it is in your best interest to make the revisions to your system. I have that exact setup - they were the brand new coils intended to fit under the cover. Did you list your plug type? I can't see any posts while I'm replying. Anyway, the new coils will help, but not unless you bring the gap down. I think its unanimous. Matt is a stand-up guy. He'll have your stuff back to you quickly.
High_PSI (Jun 21, 2019)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

If you're running iridium plugs and are nervous about adjusting gap, buy an STM gapping tool

https://stmtuned.com/products/stm-sp...ug-gapper-tool
High_PSI (Jun 21, 2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Freshly Built FP RED EVO Not Making Power