Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

need pros opinion on my tune?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 356 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Post a log of a 3rd gear pull and I will review and provide feedback. Hard to just look at a map and say good vs bad because it largely depends on how your turbo spools, which corresponds to a timing value at the that specific load vs RPM. Log ignition timing, AFR, MIVEC (if applicable), knock sum, etc.
I think the OP needs to educate himself before running the car anymore. Turn the boost down,check spark plug gap, fuel settings etc. A full checklist is where I would start if I was starting green again.

He didn't offer the AFR reading so who knows if its 10.1 or 13.1 under boost . (11.2-11.4 for pump and 11.4-11.7 for E85 is a good place for these engines)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 05:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bullet206
its on 25-26 psi.. mind letting me know which to change? as is right now I'm getting a lot of knock from 3k up
The advice given in this thread is very sound, Reading Merlin's ECU Flash manual is a very good place to start. Also look at that "Fully tuned Ignition maps" thread and look for maps on 91 - 93 Octane with upgraded turbos (GT3076/FP Red/FP Green/5858/BBK Full types) to understand the general shape of the Ign maps for a given fuel type.

Just remember although you might get knock at a certain load and rpm point (in the mid-range for example) doesn't mean its there all the way throughout the pull. Ign values should increase with engine rpm so you end up running higher timing at peak rpm.

Here are some notes I have saved from that Ignition maps and other tuning related threads - they are a guide and not a rule (especially the Ign side).

Fuel tuning:
spool up around 13-12 AFR
Peak boost around 11.7-11.5 AFR
mid-range around 11.5-11.3 AFR
Top end around 11.2-10.9 AFR

"You can run 2-3* of timing at peak boost on 91 octane w/o knock and 10-11* by redline. Try to add a degree of timing up top and see if the car knocks. If it does, pull that degree back. That is when you know that you have reached the most timing advance that you can get on 91 octane."

91 Octane numbers will be a good starting point for your maps, then you can slowly creep up and see what additional room 92 Octane allows.