Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Dallas area shops...

Old Jun 27, 2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dallas area shops...

Anyone know of some shops or individuals who can build a good quality box for 2 JL Audio 12W7's? (and possibly an amprack too) Everyone wants to charge an arm and a leg for something a kid in JR High could put out in his first day of wood shop. (Or so it seems) I would do it myself but I really don't have the time... Thanks...
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

dude, i'm in dallas. wut hs you go to?

-stevo
Old Jun 28, 2006, 03:06 PM

Huh?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

He said what High School you goto. Lol...

Back on topic, a common misconception about audio installs. "A box is a box."

This is so far from being true. It takes true skill to make a box, sealed is cakework as long as you can do math. But port matching a sub to a box, glassing a box, embossing logo's in a box, it can be difficult. Wiring the box up, connecting it properly, using the right kind of wire for the subs, it all matters in terms of sound. Carpeting takes some skill as well as putting the box together with liquid nails and a nail gun, ensuring a tight fit, perfect corners and overall solid craftsmanship is hard to do if you've never done it.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:02 AM

Oh, well as for the 1st question... I went to DeSoto.

Now back to the topic at hand... I 've done many installs over the years and I love doing them. However, previous boxes have been pretty simple and not too much thought or effort went in to producing them. This time I've actually got a nice car and I want to be sure that the box matches the rest of the car as well as producing the best possible sound with the equipt I have to wk with... I hate to admit it but I guess I want THE best and I'm not sure I have the capabilities to do this (no tools or the time to complete it for that matter). Like I was saying... I wanted to put 2 JL Audo 12W7's in the trunk in a sealed enclosure and still have a bit of room for trunk space. I think my measurements will work but I'd have to build the box inside of the trunk because it wouldn't fit otherwise. Lately tho I've been thinking of just running 1 of them in a ported box instead... but the box would still probably have to be built inside of the trunk. I've got basic measurements and an idea of what I want but I really don't know what would make it sound the best or which design to go with ( Basically, should I scrap what I'm thinking and go from scratch or let someone else tackle this?)