Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Problems with Satilite

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BillAce: Actually it WAS the receiver. SIR-CL3. Gray box. Works with Clarion stereos. It was on the floor.

The antenna was on my front dash. Like stingerbtry said, won't stick to an aluminum roof, and the VG gets in the way. This is the same place as when I was using the Sirius ST-2 plug-and-play that got stolen. Same antenna in fact. I've NEVER had trouble with reception, definitely not on this piece of highway. It would fade out under overpasses, but it's never gone out for minutes at a time. I was never more than about 5 minutes from my house, very familiar roads. It was very hot outside though.

Check the reviews for almost every Sirius product on the market at Amazon, Crutchfield, etc. Lots of them have the same complaint...poor or no reception when the unit heats up.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
okay, I had one of those roady2 units.. one day it started working unreliably and I replaced the Antenna thinking that was the problem..

Turned out that the unit started "going bad" from cycling from very hot, to very cold, and it stopped working right.. Sometimes they overheat, but usually its just from the cycle of hot to cold. Unfortunately the solution for me was to replace the unit. If its just a break in the wiring or solder somewhere inside, it can be fixed, but who wants to bother..
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Roady's are pretty crazy engineering 10 layer PCB's, multi color LCD backlighting in a really compact package. I'm surprised how reliable they are. They also run pretty cool when compared to much larger Sirius receivers. 2-3% will usually fail though.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the new roady the slim oe. that thing is bad ***