Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

alarms on the evo...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DontRevMe
viper 791/clifford 3.5 + prox sensor + window tint.

all you need.

I have the 791 also works great. Pager works inside my office and stores. Will need to replace pagers battery once a month -/+ a few days.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

i have a clifford 850 with black jack/anti car jack. its a great system. i could hand you my keys with my remote on it and you couldnt steal my car. it also works with the factory immobilizer. yeah a tow truck would take it but even then the alarm sys locks you out of everything. before i get flamed for something,if its torn out of your car you have to go to a licensed installer to have them put a new unit in to unlock the system. its has fuel cuts, ignition cuts and all the normal proxy sensors, impact sensors and that great loud screaming modern alarms have today. just my 2cents. good luck
Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

which proximity sensor should i get? does it work with any alarm system??
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:08 PM

the guy at the evo shop is half correct. Bottom line if they wanted to steal your car they would do so and most likely not in a bypassing fashion. Most pro car thiefs take the car by flat bad or enclosed box truck. however how often does this happen??? i dont know.. however having an good alarm on your car with (as someone noted) a field disturbance sensor or prox sensor will definately help deter most unwanted activity with your car....such as beginner car thiefs....kids looking to mess up your ride... and people looking to get inside for the goods. As most people have said Viper makes great alarms. Viper is owned by DEI who also makes Clifford, Python, Boa, Hornet, Avital, Black Widow and more.....in alot of ways their design on their alarms are very similiar between the different models....you really just want to make sure you have expandability...meaning extra channels....shock sensor included, starter kill circuit, and of course the two way transmitter is a great way to go....be sure to get the SSL technology. this practically doubles your range....weve been able to communicate with vehicles 3/4 of a mile away. hope this helps.... good luck
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:13 PM

oh by the way the SSL technology is included on most of the high end systems from Clifford, Viper, and Python....these systems are practically identical. the only difference are the remote styles...
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:14 PM

oh by the way the SSL technology is included on most of the high end systems from Clifford, Viper, and Python....these systems are practically identical. the only difference are the remote styles...
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:14 PM

sorry about that browser problems

Last edited by ccevoIX; Jun 24, 2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: browser problems..entered twice
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cedricredrs
i was going to get a viper alarm with the pager so i know if anythings being touched, but this guy at a pretty popular evo shop told me "look dont waste your money on an alarm if they're going to steal your car their going to steal your car" so i kinda was like "......" doesn't an alarm help a lot if they try to hot wire it and stuff like that? of course i know if someone wanted to steal it they could throw it on a tow truck and it'd be gone but as far as some moron trying to break in and run is an alarm worth getting?
Kind of, Alarms are only as good as the installer. See the tow truck way is they way professional thieves take your car, Alarm isn't doing you any good. But for vandalism or a newb thief the little blinking light might get him to just skip you car all together. And If your installer was as good as me and didn't shove the alarm under the first cover they see and simply crimp the wires into place, but instead put the components in an unsaid location that will take 30 minutes to get to let alone find. With all the wiring hidden in factory harnesses. And utilized a unique kill switch. You alarm might just annoy the thief into giving up and moving on to the next car. But most evos are stolen with a flat bed, usually they are targeted and a little surveillance is done on the car to see when and where it is parked and for how long. You car is most likely to be taken while you are at work, by the time its reported its already at a chop shop mostly apart. Your alarm probably won't even sound until the car is already gone. So I wouldn't spend money on an alarm for thieves, Vandalism maybe it might annoy your neighbors or wake you up in time to see the vandal. The best thing you can do is block your car in with something that a thief wouldn't want to waste his time for. A thieves objective is to take you car as fast as he can with as little effort as possible and without getting caught.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:29 PM

+1
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
507t is a tilt and motion detector you can add if they try to jack or tow it.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sblvro
507t is a tilt and motion detector you can add if they try to jack or tow it.
The tilt sensor is awesome, might give you some lead time with the pro theifs if you have it hooked to a paging alarm
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:03 PM

Okay, so I have a few questions about the viper 7900 (or clifford/python equivalent). Basically, when you buy the unit, what all does it come with ie. prox sensors, remote start, etc. and what else would need to be purchased?

If it comes with or you install prox sensors, can you disable them at certain times while still having the rest of the alarm armed? I'm just wondering cuz if you park in a parking lot won't the prox sensors go nuts just from people walking by your car?

If you can't turn of the prox sensors, how sensative are they, like will it beep within 5 ft, 2 ft?

Sorry for all the questions, just a little curious!!! Thanks in advance
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
proximity sensor warns within a meter of your car and a foot away from the windows it will alarm. even without them touching your car, it will sound off the alarm which is an annoyance but i like it that way.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 09:35 AM

One peice of advice with a two way. Do not turn the sensitivity too high, because soon you will start getting annoyed of the two way, and stop checking.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
Alarms are only as good as the installer.
This is one of the reasons I didn't get an alarm for my Evo - I couldn't locate an installer locally that I had 100% confidence in. I've had wiring looms butchered by half assed installs in the past.

If you can find a good installer then go for it.

Quick Reply: alarms on the evo...