Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Securing a Subwoofer in an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:12 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Securing a Subwoofer in an Evo

So I finished my amp-under-the-seat install in my evo, ran the output wires to the trunk... and then realized that the carpet isn't attached to anything. It was obvious that it wasn't about to stay put under high load, but it slid around incredibly easy during easy driving.

I added some double-coarse sided velcro to the bottom of the sub box to stick to the carpet, and removed some of the insulation under the carpet so that it could stick to some single sided velcro that is stuck to the driver's side sheetmetal. This seems to be enough to keep it tied down for daily driving, but I don't want this thing to destroy me and my car if I'm ever in an accident, and of course I want to be able to enjoy the car without the sub flying all over the place.

So what do you guys do to secure them?

I was thinking of a couple of good zip ties around the V brace mounted to hooks on the box, but that seems rather un-clean and not so great. I know you smarties have some better Ideas!

I'm in a IX SE, 1cuft MDF box, infinity 12.1D
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get those long bendible bands with holes in them. i dunno how to describe them but u can screw one into your box and one onto the back of your trunk. thats what i did works perfect!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's difficult!

I tried using 2 'L' clamps and drilling into the trunk; but the screw either came out or literally broke in half. In my STi, I tried drilling clamps into the crossbar on the top of the box (I had a tall box that just fit); but the same unfortunate result. Maybe if I used bigger clamps, bigger screws/bolts or drove more sanely - it would have worked.

Some people will say velcrow; ala industrial strength. But IMO, why secure something to a carpet peice that moves? You'd first need to secure the carpet down via glue/velcrow.

In the end, I figured out a way - and it's worked for month w/o a problem for me! I got 2 tie-downs and go around the box at each corner - and through the X cross-bar just behind the seats. Those 'X' bars aren't going anywhere! You'll have to remove the plastic piece that hides these, but it comes out easily. I also grounded into the 'X'.
Highly recommend this if you have big subs. And I'm running 2 10" DVC subs; so they've got a lotta weight to them!

And when I say a tie-down, I mean the things you can rachet tighter; like these for example:
http://www.mrproducts.com/index.php?...101&cookie=yes I think I picked up a pair of like 6ft'ers at Autozone for like $10.

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 17, 2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

rear strut bar & bungies FTW!!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:38 PM

Holy crap... how heavy are you boxes if you're drilling them into the trunk with screws and it's breaking the screw?!

My boxes have always been bolted or screwed down to the trunk in all of my cars and I'm a very spirited driver... none of them have ever broken loose. However, my boxes have never been over 40 lbs either.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rice King
rear strut bar & bungies FTW!!
+1 i did this aswell. but too rubber coated screws in the front of the box. then use the bunjee from the screws to the strut bar. it never moves even under full slide (dirt or tarmac)
Old Jan 22, 2007, 07:04 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome... I think I'll go for 2 or 3 very large zip ties into the X-Bar and hook some canvas straps into that or something... I just didn't want the sub in the middle of the trunk because it really cuts down on the floor space if you can't have it to one side or the other.

I appreciate it guys!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

it's a sub box... if you don't bolt it into the metal then you'll just have it fight itself as the sub's movement will move the box around... I got much tighter bass once I properly bolted mine into the car.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
get those long bendible bands with holes in them. i dunno how to describe them but u can screw one into your box and one onto the back of your trunk. thats what i did works perfect!
They are called back straps.....
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

i folded the trunk mat in half and velcro'd the box to the spare tire wood cover thingy. easy to take it out when i go to the track and it holds fine even when during aggressive driving.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what I did to secure my 12" sub box was to add a pair of hooks to the side of the box and then anchor it to the rear strut bar. my bar had several holes that you could use. I used 1 foot rubber cables w/ hooks. Simple and effective way.