Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Help me select the speakers I want.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2007, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me select the speakers I want.

I've noticed in the higher luxuary cars (Mercedes, Lexus) their speakers (Bose, Harmon Kardon) the speakers sound amazingly good. They do not use any subwoofers in the car, the speekers seem to do the job well enough. Im not saying you can hear the base a mile away (that isnt what im looking for). Im looking for clean and clear sounding speekers to to the job of all high mids and lows. I installed alot of speakers in my previous car, but the sound always came out way too much in the high frequences.. demanding i needed a small 8'' sub just for the small amount of base i was looking for. I was wondering where should I go to to get the results I'm looking for? Im looking for just 4 speakers to to the amazing job Bose and Harmon Kardon do.

(If there isnt any other resort to Bose and Harmon Kardon... what other speakers would you recomend me to choose of not those?)
Old Jan 28, 2007, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

I have used alot of speakers too. Alpine was overrated IMO
I love my JL, you dont need subs for them.
right now i have JL AUDIO ZR front , and Jl audio Xr Rear..used to have them on my 350z for 2 weeks, then i sold my Z. But they sound amazing..... ZR need an amp
I have no idea what am going to do with them, i am debating .. either i put them on my EVO or sell them on Ebay
Go to your local stereo shop and listen to the XR and ZR

(ahmad... Where your from?)
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

I've always thought JL's are overpriced for what you get. If you're looking for something that will compare to something Bose-ish (even though Bose is hardly the benchmark of sound quality) you'll definitely need an amp for whatever you buy. Rainbow audio are generally very nicely priced for their performance, and have some pretty good midbass. The installation will make a good difference as well, as it's not always the speaker that makes the biggest difference. Rainbow actually has a "kickbass" version of the Soundline model that gives you more bass, which would probably do what you're looking for. What's your budget, though?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well TumblerIX, you get what you pay for!

Never liked Bose, came with my 350z... Weak sound
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

I used to drive a 350z as well (still own it, never drive it . . . long story, but it involves an ongoing lawsuit). I've heard some pretty horrible things about the Z's Bose system. Never heard one myself, but I've heard it's one of the worst Bose systems. I knew I'd be replacing everything, so I didn't even give the Bose system a second look.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Bro dont even bother. especially if you like your music loud..
Speakers sucks, But the sub at the back is pretty good .

you will need to replace your speakers on ur Z.
Check on the my350z.com and 95% of us have aftermarket speakers
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

if your pockets are deep and you want good stuff... Focal is they way to go. They have a couple different options, all pretty expensive though. I run some of their stuff and will never use anyone else again.

http://www.focal-america.com/Index.html

Last edited by precisi0n; Jan 29, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by precisi0n
if your pockets are deep and you want good stuff... Focal is they way to go. They have a couple different options, all pretty expensive though. I run some of their stuff and will never use anyone else again.

http://www.focal-america.com/Index.html
+1
I wouldnt pick over anything else when it comes to mids and highs
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
THe 'good' factory systems still use crappy speakers...but they are the best crappy speakers in that environment. Then they use digital processing to tailor the sound to that given car and give it good tonality and frequency response.

There4 is no magic brand that sounds great in any environment, vehicle, or installation though many brands have some serious following. I can make Radio Shack gear sound good in a car, I just have over 15 years experience tuning systems and $15K worth of test equipment to set it up. Go listen to speakers in the correct environment/application and pick what you think sounds best.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
I have an 06 Evo RS - No wing to slow me down.

I have four polk DB675 seem better than the sony 6.5/6.75 I took out and they have built in 2-way crossovers. Teir cones are .25 larger than sony.

Mitsuatb
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:39 PM

Just FYI, most "luxury" factory systems now use subwoofer(s).
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

my wife's murano has the bose system from the factory. it has a real good sound to it, not the type to be heard 3 blocks away, but some decent bass, and it does have a small sub inside the spare tire.
I think that kimletrim is correct that all the bose/nakamichi/mark levinson systems that you speak of do have some sort of sub installed.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help everyone.. If i do go with focal speakers, will i also need tweeters along with that? or will the speakers do the job just fine?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

I did a 93~ prelude today and used a JL 6w0 in the factory 6x9 location..added just enough to give you a full range of music, obviously not nose bleed bass, but noticeable. You will need an amplifier if you go this route.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

dude just to let you know

WE cant help YOU select the speakers that YOU want.

only you can select the ones you want.

your thread name should be changed.

Quick Reply: Help me select the speakers I want.