Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Suggestions for audio system in Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for audio system in Evo IX

Just got a USDM GG Evo IX SE... The *ONLY* thing that I don't absolutely LOVE about the car is the sound system, which is pretty poor to be honest. I'm thinking about upgrading the audio system, but frankly I know little to nothing about car audio and I'm looking for some advice!

I want something that is relatively cheap, simple, clean and sounds pretty good.

I'm thinking...
- keep stock tweeters
- replace the door and rear deck speakers with a decent set of 6.5"
- replace the head unit

Originally I was thinking...
- Alpine head unit (not sure which)
- Alpine Type S or Type R speakers (probably Type S... I don't think there is a point to getting Type R's unless I'm going to get an amp)

Crutchfield claims the Type S and Type R speakers won't fit in the car stock. Is this true?

Any suggestions? Like I staid, I'm looking for something SUPER easy to install, that looks clean, sounds good (much better than stock), and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I do NOT have my heart set on any particular brand of speakers and/or head unit. I only mention Alpine b/c I've always liked their decks and I figured I'd get the same brand speakers.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:02 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have the SSL package with the sub in the trunk?

Either way, replacing the stock head unit will be a big upgrade...even with the stock speakers. I would suggest to start there and see how it sounds.

If it doesn't sound the way you want, then replace the front tweets/mids with a component set and the rear speaks with a coaxial speaker. You'll definitely want to replace the factory tweeter since it distorts too easily and sounds harsh at times making it not fun to listen to for very long.

As for which speakers, best thing is to go to a local BB/Circuit City/Tweeter or local car audio shop and listen to the speakers on the board with the head unit you want. You may be surprised by how good or bad some speakers sound in person. At least you'll know what you're getting into.

That should keep it pretty simple. Good luck! And then just when you get these new speakers installed you'll probably want a sub to go with 'em!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

You can go with a component set for the front and upgrade both the tweeter and the door speaker. I put in a Polk Audio db6500 setup,
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RsbuEZc...10&I=107DB6500
here is a pic of my tweeter install:

I mounted the tweeter in the same location as the factory one, and the A-Pillar cover fit right over it, no problems.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Check here

If you have questions about brands, feel free to post up.

NoTec, Adambl03, St3alth5, Dennis F, and several others here can help tremendously.

Last edited by LayinLo; Jun 19, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LayinLo nailed it...definitely read his link. Will walk you step-by-step through the process. And, he's right, either the stock or SSL systems suck *****.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys! I do not have the SSL, so my system is even worse! After thinking about it more, I do think I'm going to do the tweeters too... I just gotta decide now if I want to attempt this myself or just have like best buy do it. O yeah and I gotta pick out which speakers/headunit I'm actually gunna get!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:21 AM

Well for the same amount of money, you could either get nice speakers and do a self install, or you could go with lesser speakers but get professional install. If you have time, I would suggest doing a self install. I knew nothing about stereos, and I installed a new deck, 2 subs, and some component speakers in one saturday. I would also suggest picking speakers, then looking on ebay cuz they are way cheaper.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

went to best buy over lunch...

For head units i liked the alpine and pioneer decks that were ~$200. I think the exact models are as follows...

Alpine CDA-9883
Pioneer EH-P5900IB

I think I prefer the Pioneer deck.

For speakers, I liked the 6.5" Alpine type-S the most. A cheaper set of Pioneers actually sounded pretty good too. Surprisingly the type-R speakes didn't sound too good but I'm guessing that is their setup.

I'm leaning towards saying screw the tweeters and just doing the head unit and 6.5" speakers all around.

The main question is, should I get an amp to bump up my RMS power?

Also, will the Type-S speakers fit in the evo without modification? Crutchfield seems to think no while best buy said any 6.5" fits. I tend to trust Crutchfield to be honest.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

type r's FTW!!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paulnsx
went to best buy over lunch...

For head units i liked the alpine and pioneer decks that were ~$200. I think the exact models are as follows...

Alpine CDA-9883
Pioneer EH-P5900IB

I think I prefer the Pioneer deck.

For speakers, I liked the 6.5" Alpine type-S the most. A cheaper set of Pioneers actually sounded pretty good too. Surprisingly the type-R speakes didn't sound too good but I'm guessing that is their setup.

I'm leaning towards saying screw the tweeters and just doing the head unit and 6.5" speakers all around.

The main question is, should I get an amp to bump up my RMS power?

Also, will the Type-S speakers fit in the evo without modification? Crutchfield seems to think no while best buy said any 6.5" fits. I tend to trust Crutchfield to be honest.

Most 6.5" speakers will fit, you will just need an adapter. Add a small amp and you'll be happy.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 05:08 PM

Although I know you were going for simple, but from my experience you get the most out of your system by adding a little bass. So my suggestion would be adding a head unit, amp and sub. It is still pretty simple, and you can easily keep it clean... that is if it was done nicely.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 09:05 AM

Been away from the forums for a while, but I am back.

First off, welcome to the club Paulnsx!

LayinLo, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Alright, so you did some head shopping. The main thing to stress there is to make sure you have one picked out with ALL of the features you want or you are just going to want to buy another one later. And since it is hard to know what you want without knowing what is out there, I am just going to rattle some off:

- hard drive
- mp3 CD
- USB
- navigation
- satellite radio
- bluetooth
- DVD movies
- pretty graphics
- 3-way sound control
- remote control
- spectrum analyzers
- 5+ band equalizer

If you are going to be really serious about your car audio, I definitely suggest something that will give you the last four.

So to answer one of your most recent questions, YES, get an amp to drive any speaker replacements. You will just save a lot of frustration and heartache that way.

Also, since you live in Worcester, I can totally help you out with the install. I got a decent garage we can work in.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:11 AM

Check out the Alpine website. They have a new product out called the ida-x001. It looks great and you can find it for under $300 on ebay.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

If you want loudness and clearity, i would just get an amplifier for the stock speakers. you wont notice anything if you replace the speakers and dont give them more power.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know how the Best Buys are around you but if they are anything like the one near me you do not want to hand your car over to them. I have seen them take cars out joyriding around street in back of the store at the one near me.

I have MB Quart components in the front and rears with a decent amp and am really happy with the sound. Sounds like you got some people giving you good advice. Good luck on your decision.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for audio system in Evo IX