Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

kenwood DNX7100 or AVIC D3

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^hmm....never thought of that. mine is permanatly off, i use it 24/7 too. the gps works great, and i luv the menus too. real easy to navigate
but one serious question....i have a new nano ipod 4gb, and i agree watching 300 is the ****!! looks great, but i noticed the dnx7100 freezes alot with my ipod, whether its songs, movies, or picking a song. it happens wayy to often. i was going to buy another cable as i thought that was it, but i tired my gf's older 8gb nano and it works great. no hiccups at all. has anyone tried newer model ipods on this? is it just me? i want to use my video

also, why is there a menu button that says USB? i dont get it, how can i plug in a usb device into this without taking out the unit??
Old Jan 30, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

if its a newer ipod you have to go to kenwwod.com and update it, its free. just pop out the card, hook it to your computer.

the unit comes with a usb cable, i just ran mine into the back of the glove box.
maybe yours is still tied together in the back of the unit. did you put install it or a shop
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:02 PM

You use the USB port when you install the Kenwood iPod controller. As far as your iPod troubles go, I have a 30 gig video and have had absolutely no problems. If you're still having trouble, give Kenwood's customer service a call. They were very helpful the last time I had a problem with a mono amp I bought from them.

I would recommend relocating the USB port in a convenient location, just-in-case.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

I don't iPod anything, but it's really good to know that you don't need a iPod adapter. Some guy tried selling it to me... hmmm... Guess he tried to make some extra money out of me. Good thing I keep the USB in the glove compartment
Old Jan 31, 2008, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

u can get the ipod cable kca ip300v on ebay for about $25, its a lot faster when using the ipod puls you can change your ipod from the screen and see whats playing.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:14 AM

I use the KCA-IP300v, I think you need it to play videos from your iPod.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't like to fidget with extra crap when I'm driving. If you don't use the specific adapter, do you have to select songs by hand on the iPod itself?

Just a suggestion, but if you have to do that, wouldn't you be better off just running a stereo plug to rca splitter and putting that on your line in? That way your USB port would be free'd up.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

^^k thanks guys. ill give all this a shot tomorrow. hopefully this update will fix my ipod troubles. and +1 on controlling everything through the unit. muuuchh easier.
i also have that cable too, it charges my ipod and lets me play my movies on it.

and damn.....so if i want to plug in a usb drive, i have to disconnect the KCA-IP300v usb part? im guessing it'll still play my ipod, just not charge and play videos, right?

and ya, a radio shop installed it for me. i can do single dins easy, but didn't wanna mess around with this unit. plus the shop is my dad's friend so heavy install discounts
Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:30 AM

Now this is just a random thought, but what if I were to connect a USB splitter? It might be worth a shot. I am gonna consult the owners manual to see if it says anything against it, but if it doesn't I'm going to pick one up and give it a try. I will let you guys know how it comes out Sunday night or Monday.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

^^same...i had that thought in mind too, as i have a usb splitter.
car is in the shop and i get it back tomorrow, ill give it a shot
Old Feb 2, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

ok...got almost everything worked out. did the firmware update and ipod works great.
also, i got a 4gb thumb drive loaded with movies hooked up running great too

apparently, my installer ziptied the usb cable in the back, so thats why i couldnt see it.
when i pulled everything out, i just cut it, and ran the wire where i keep my ipod so i can switch them on the fly
has anyone tried the usb splitter yet?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 04:56 PM

Sorry, I have been slacking all weekend.. Been fighting some wicked stomach flu, not fun. Haven't felt like doing a damn thing. I should get around to trying the splitter thing this week though.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

is there any other way to find the serial # on the unit besides taking it back out to look on the back. i was wanting to register it
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

^^lol i wanted to know the same cuz they ask u for it when u need the update.
i just took mine out. real easy to do.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by offthecha1n
is there any other way to find the serial # on the unit besides taking it back out to look on the back. i was wanting to register it
The box that came with the 7100 will have the serial on the side.
If you've junk rhe box, than that's too bad as you have to rip the unit out of your dash.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:02 AM

Love the 7100 but even with the latest v2.60 garmin update, I still can't add vehicles on the map.
Would love to add the firetruck into it.

Anyone have a fix for this?