Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.
View Poll Results: what should i do about the carbon fiber wing on my 03
dry carbon
13.79%
glossy shine
86.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

carbon wing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carbon wing

sup everyone heres the story i just bought an 03 evo about a month ago and like every carbon wing it had serius sun fading, well i wetsanded the hell out of it and now im down to uniform surface where it pretty much looks like a new wing my question to all of you is shoud i buff the carbon or leave it as a solid piece of dry carbon either way it looks very good and it will be atop a cabon trunk
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

i dont know what wetsanding is so can u explain this procedure my wing looks like total **** and im tired of looking at it.
any advise will help and id rather do it myself than pay some goon tons of money.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:11 AM

Wet sanding is just that: sanding on wet material. Google it and you can find very extensive guides on how to do it.

I have on 03 as well and had the exact same issue. I just worked my dealer over until they replaced it with the updated new spoiler for free. This may not be an option for you, especially if you're not the original owner.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:40 PM

i believe there was a factory recall on the carbon wings specifically for that purpose.
remove the wing and take it to your local Mitsu dealer and they'll replace it no questions asked.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by betoisonfiire
i believe there was a factory recall on the carbon wings specifically for that purpose.
remove the wing and take it to your local Mitsu dealer and they'll replace it no questions asked.
Yeah and they'll try to give you the crappy IX wing back instead of the completely carbon VIII wing.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:55 PM

I'm almost certain that carbon fiber left unprotected, will burn in the sun and turn a brownish color. Ive seen lots of them do that when the clear is fading off and where bare cf is exposed.. I would definitely re-clear the wing for looks and protection.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:58 PM

i have a carbon fiber wing.. just get some windex and it will be as glossy as your paint.. just keep it clean and it will be fine
Old May 14, 2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jesseandruth
i have a carbon fiber wing.. just get some windex and it will be as glossy as your paint.. just keep it clean and it will be fine
Windex? Is that safe on the clearcoat? How about some polish and wax...
Old May 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbodemon
i dont know what wetsanding is so can u explain this procedure my wing looks like total **** and im tired of looking at it.
any advise will help and id rather do it myself than pay some goon tons of money.
Why don't you just get it painted the color of your car so that it won't happen again? Performance wise - still the same and it won't look like ***.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a bodyshop reclear mine for 100 bucks..going on 6 months now still looks awesome. this is a pic before, now it looks like a new wing.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by betoisonfiire
i asked a mitsu dealer about that they said there was no such recall only a tsb on it. so no free wing replaced for me, basically told me to fk myself six ways from sunday
Old May 27, 2008, 08:06 PM

can't u guys get them covered in plastic? here alot of people cover the whole fronts of there cars with clear stickers to stop it getting sand blasted. an ive seen someone do it to their evo8 carbon wing....after a while the plastic peels off an u have to re-do it, but the carbon fibre underneath is left untouched.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbodemon
i asked a mitsu dealer about that they said there was no such recall only a tsb on it. so no free wing replaced for me, basically told me to fk myself six ways from sunday
they lied to you, its covered if under warranty. the only problem is they replace 8 wings with 9 wings.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tazdevilxxi
shoud i buff the carbon or leave it as a solid piece of dry carbon either way it looks very good and it will be atop a cabon trunk
DO NOT buff this unless you already sprayed clear coat. you can literally burn through the carbon with a buffer.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

i need to do this as well..a buddy swapped his 8 wing for my 9 wing 4 free..it looks really good except for a few flaws..but anyone who knows me knows that im very **** when it comes to the 9

Quick Reply: carbon wing