Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

TT or alarm?

Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TT or alarm?

Ok so I have been searching and reading all day and still cant find exactly what I want.

I was going to install a turbo timer and an alarm next week, but I realized I could install an alarm with the turbo timer built in. The main question I have is if I want to keep the security of my immobilizer function do I have to install the turbo timer and alarm without remote start seperate? Is there a way to utilize the alarms with the turbo timer built in and keep my immobilizer function? I just dont want to deal with keeping a key in the car or having a box with the transponder in the car.

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TT is overrated...just dont boost when you get to your location
Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

I'd rather keep my car from getting stolen with an alarm then worry about the turbo. Like ^^^ said don't boost before u park, otherwise give it a few secs.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The immobilizer doesn't have anything to do with a TT or an alarm, except to be bypassed for remote start. Alarms with the turbo timer have remote start. You can choose not to use the remote start part of it negating the need for an immobilizer bypass and just use the turbo timer portion. Or you can get a seperate TT and an alarm w/o remote start, like you said.

Out of curiosity, why does it bother you to have a transponder box (immobilizer bypass) in the car, but not a TT box, or an alarm brain?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by biggie5252
The immobilizer doesn't have anything to do with a TT or an alarm, except to be bypassed for remote start. Alarms with the turbo timer have remote start. You can choose not to use the remote start part of it negating the need for an immobilizer bypass and just use the turbo timer portion. Or you can get a seperate TT and an alarm w/o remote start, like you said.

Out of curiosity, why does it bother you to have a transponder box (immobilizer bypass) in the car, but not a TT box, or an alarm brain?
Maybe I am just a little confused about it but if I have the immobilizer bypass in the car I see it as loosing a security component to add another security component when I could double layer my security without it. I may just be misunderstanding that is why I am asking.

Oh and thanks for the info about the turbo timer without the remote start connected. The local installer told me it wasn't possible.

Last edited by cheedo; Dec 20, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:54 AM

Also if wired properly with a turbo timer the car could be locked still and even if someone gets inside with the car running from the TT it would shut off if they tried to get anywhere. Then because I still have the immobilizer function they couldn't start it without the key.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cheedo
Maybe I am just a little confused about it but if I have the immobilizer bypass in the car I see it as loosing a security component to add another security component when I could double layer my security without it. I may just be misunderstanding that is why I am asking.

Oh and thanks for the info about the turbo timer without the remote start connected. The local installer told me it wasn't possible.
Well, the remote start would actually be wired up (except the bypass). It uses the same wiring for the turbo timer function.

You're not losing the immobilizer by using a bypass. It only bypasses it during the remote start sequence. It is fully functional the rest of the time. I suppose someone smart enough could cut the wire that the alarm uses to activate the bypass and activate it. But they'd still have to get past the alarm, rip your car apart and find the correct wiring. Plus they'd have to know your alarm wiring.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by biggie5252
Well, the remote start would actually be wired up (except the bypass). It uses the same wiring for the turbo timer function.

You're not losing the immobilizer by using a bypass. It only bypasses it during the remote start sequence. It is fully functional the rest of the time. I suppose someone smart enough could cut the wire that the alarm uses to activate the bypass and activate it. But they'd still have to get past the alarm, rip your car apart and find the correct wiring. Plus they'd have to know your alarm wiring.
Ahh ok I get it now.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
TT is overrated...just dont boost when you get to your location
I couldn't agree more.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:53 PM

TT's are overated...this is news to me,i guess i should throw this hks TT away then..dangit
Old Jan 4, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by slowwevo
TT's are overated...this is news to me,i guess i should throw this hks TT away then..dangit
Instead of throwing it away give it to me. Then I will sell it and pocket the money because they are overrated