Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Mini Battery Kit Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mini Battery Kit Help

Hey All,

Getting ready to go with a mini battery set-up and I need some help here. Problem I have is I am running 2 sets of MB Quart QSD 213 components off of a JL Audio 450/4 amp and I want to make sure I have no problems. I have read peeps are running the Braille B2015 Battery but I can't find a EVO specific tray for mounting it. I like the looks of the Nisei trays, but I don't see one that will work w/ the Braille's dimensions. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for some help here. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:52 PM

Bump again, I am also going with a Mini battery and considering a small system.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:01 PM

Not sure how fancy you'd like it to look, but have you considered making your own?

Aluminum stock is very easy to work with even if all you have is hand tools, you can polish it, and you can get it fairly cheaply at any hardware store.

Sorry I don't have a better pictures of it up close, but you can see the final product in the attachment.

As you can see, the top is simply a piece of flat bar stock with 2 holes drilled through it. The bottom of mine was welded using flat plate and some L-stock, but if you don't have access to someone with a welder, you could just as easily make the whole bottom out of a single piece of flat plate. Just cut to the appropriate shape and bend it. Basically you're looking at a rectangle that covers the whole area of the bottom of the battery plus a little extra length for "wings" on each side to hold the battery in place (short sides) and to bolt the tie-down strap to (long sides).

For example:

http://www.strathmoreartist2.com/ima...box_top_lg.gif

I have no idea what this is actually for (just found it on Google) but it shows the right idea...you'd cut a plate such that the area of the bottom of the battery fits in "Box Top". Cut out "Glue Flap" and throw those little squares away. On 2 opposing "side of box top" flaps you would drill and tap holes for the tie-down strap. The other 2 opposing "side of box top" would be bent upwards to hold the battery in place.
Attached Thumbnails Mini Battery Kit Help-pict0138.jpg  
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Call me cheap but all I did was get the Deka ETX14 (same as braille as far as I can tell, but only $60) and mount it on its side. I get a cheap universal battery bracket from advance auto for like $5 and it works fine.

One thing I noticed about the battery is it seems to have substantially lower internal resistance because the battery charge meter is a bit higher than it was with the stock batt. when the engine is running.